Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much should I pay for this...? and then what do I do with it...

• 18-10-2009 10:45pm
    Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭

So I have in my hand a Compaq Mini 110, brand new, but was on retail display. The problem is, a member of Joe Public took it upon themselves to try and close the unit, but unfortunately it was in a fixed position (kindof a plastic retainer that stops people from lifting the laptop) and the managed to pull the hinge on one side out of its mounting and cracked the LCD screen down the middle.

So I managed to repair the mounting for the hinge, but the screen is fecked and would cost a minimum of ~£100 for a new screen.

I'm not really interested in replacing the screen, but the rest of the unit is fine when run on an external monitor.

So the retail unit has to write this off at cost (minimum, probably €180, retail is ~€349) but I'm considering buying it off them, so I have a couple of questions that are looking for answers...

1). How much should I offer them; I'm thinking about €150 ish; its the usual notebook spec, Atom 1Gb ram, 160Gb hard drive, wireless, Sim slot (used?)...
    2) What can I use it for? I more than happy to whip off the screen and take out the mic/camera and mount into something else, but I'd be at a loss as to what to do with it? Hook it up to my Sony 26T series LCD and...?
    3) Can a netbook be run if there is no screen physically attached (never tried this before, but I'd assume it can....)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Here's an idea...

Find the dope that did it, beat him (or her!) around the head with the broken lappie, then make them pay for it :D

Offer €100 and take it from there. Or maybe offer €100 and offer to buy something from the store ( a kettle, toaster, etc whatever - something you need)

Dunno about it running without a monitor. You could always try it on one of your own lappies (IBM one :D )by disconnecting the monitor and seeing what happens?

From my experience (as you know!) the Dell XPS graphics chip fried and the monitor didn't work, but it still displayed when connected to a monitor... unless there is something that cuts it out when its physically not connected, but I would not see that as being built into them!

If you buy it and it doesn't work, just sell it as spares, I'd say your make you€150 back on ebay no prob!

Advertisement