Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health insurance

Options
  • 18-10-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hey guys im in the middle of applying for my whv for australia and it asks on the form have i got health insurance. is this neaded? and could i get my application turned down for not having it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

no, it's not necessary. you probably should get it though, just incase something happens when you're over here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

in that vein, I'm hoping to get some health insurance soon. might have to see a GP soon over something.

Can anyone recommend a value for money insurance to take out? what sorta price should i be expecting to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

do you mean backpackers health insurance or just regular health insurance from medibank etc?

you wont be able to claim seeing a GP on health insurance, cos that's covered by medicare so the health insurance companies dont deal with it

hmm, well what would i need then?

im just worried i'll get a smack of a bus or something in the mornin and then get taken away in an ambulance, then need an operation and some recovery time in the hospital. so what insurance would i need to pay for that? suppose GP isnt that important. i cna pay the 70 for a prescription if that situation arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The_B_Man wrote: »
    hmm, well what would i need then?

im just worried i'll get a smack of a bus or something in the mornin and then get taken away in an ambulance, then need an operation and some recovery time in the hospital. so what insurance would i need to pay for that? suppose GP isnt that important. i cna pay the 70 for a prescription if that situation arises.

Nothing - hospital visits are covered for being Irish
    http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp
    As a resident of the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand you are entitled to free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient at a public hospital and access to subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme during your visit to Australia. This covers any ill health or injury needing medical treatment while in Australia. To access these benefits you should show your passport at hospitals or pharmacies. You are not entitled to Medicare benefits for non-hospital medical care and you will not be issued with a Medicare card.

• Advertisement

ye me gf had to get an operation done in Perth and it was free under the reciprocal agreement.

but surely there must be some reason for me to get insurance, as mentioned in the 2nd post? Or are u saying that if i dont mind paying 70$ for the GP then i dont need any insurance at all?

Is it not true that it costs like 5k for an ambulance if ur not insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The_B_Man wrote: »
    ye me gf had to get an operation done in Perth and it was free under the reciprocal agreement.

but surely there must be some reason for me to get insurance, as mentioned in the 2nd post? Or are u saying that if i dont mind paying 70$ for the GP then i dont need any insurance at all?

Is it not true that it costs like 5k for an ambulance if ur not insured?

isn't your bro a doctor? :D
    In nsw it costs $301 + 2.71 per km (http://www.ambulance.nsw.gov.au/docs/090630fees.pdf)
    max to $5k

doesn't cover dentist, physio, GP etc

hussey wrote: »
    isn't your bro a doctor? :D
    In nsw it costs $301 + 2.71 per km (http://www.ambulance.nsw.gov.au/docs/090630fees.pdf)
    max to $5k

doesn't cover dentist, physio, GP etc

ye me bro is a doc, but hes not very good! he cant even give himself an operation! ;)
    tho he has insurance so if he needs it then i must need it!

this is confusing me. im wondering why i need it at all now since im covered under the reciprocal. maybe theres a limit on how much the reciprocal agreement covers if say u need to pay 10k on an op? or maybe the ambulance isnt covered.

man, i need to stop thinkin about me gettin stabbed or run over or whatever! its depresssing me and i'm finished work now! :p

Advertisement