Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop quiz

Options
  • 18-10-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, here's a real test for you! A guy I know has this firearm and he's wondering what it is and what kind of age it is too. He'd sell it but doesn't know what to ask for it. By the way, I am not trying to sell it for him just to find out what it is.

I only took a few pics with the mobile as that is all I had on me but I can do better ones with the camera maybe next week. There's some evidence of a past woodworm problem but it was treated - you probably won't see that given the poor quality of the photos. The wood carving is magnificent though.

Well? ... :D

P151009_1655-1.jpg?t=1255903180

P151009_1655_02.jpg?t=1255903265

P151009_1656_02-1.jpg?t=1255903359

P151009_1656_01-1.jpg?t=1255903484

duck-1.jpg?t=1255903978

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Anyone? Not even a guess?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Enfield, expanding ball musket, circa 1850????????? Probably custom with the engraving.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I know!

It's the new rimfire CZ have been talking about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Not sure it's the Enfield, it doesn't have the bands around the foreend and the woodwork ends much farther from the muzzle.

300px-Pattern1853Rifle.jpg

The shape is quite different also. Most importantly is the shape of the metalwork behind the hammer which is more oblate on the Enfield then on the one BTK posted photos of.

It's obviously a percussion cap firearm, but is it a smoothbore or a rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Looks European in origin going by the wood carving.Could be a BB that was customised?Only way to find out is check it for proof marks or a makers name on it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Looks European in origin going by the wood carving.Could be a BB that was customised?Only way to find out is check it for proof marks or a makers name on it.
    Agree looks european by the engraving if the ram rod is wood instead of brass it may be a Naval weapon rather than infantry (if it is military) due to salt corosion. Give me a few days and i wll check some books. (Ill be back):rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rrpc wrote: »
    Not sure it's the Enfield, it doesn't have the bands around the foreend and the woodwork ends much farther from the muzzle.

300px-Pattern1853Rifle.jpg

Yeah noticed that too. Each different model from different years had various amounts of barrel bands. Was checking through different models and two things stood out. The first, as you pointed out was the barrel bands which most Enfields if not all had. The second was the lenght of the barrel in relation to the stock. From the picture you posted you can see the stock ends a couple of inches from the muzzle but in the picture posted by BTK the stock ends 8 inches from the muzzle. Thats a guess as there is nothing in the original picture to act as a scale.

Maybe someone with a knowledge of history could shine some light on the matter. I'm guessing the gun is made in one of three countries, England, Spain or France.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Just from the woodwork, I'm hazarding a guess that it's a smoothbore wild fowler.

Probably completely wrong, but I doubt if anybody's going to go to all that trouble on a military firearm.

Some sort of proofing marks would be a help and whather it's rifled or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

More than likely a musket of some sort. Third pic of the hammer looking down ,there is a rearsight,so it would suggest somthing that fired ball ammo.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    More than likely a musket of some sort. Third pic of the hammer looking down ,there is a rearsight,so it would suggest somthing that fired ball ammo.
    It's very rudimentary though, there were ramp backsights manufactured at the time (the Enfield had one) so surely it would have had one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement