Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big American company providing broadband in Donegal?

• 18-10-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads. I was told an interesting piece of info from a taxi driver a couple weeks ago that there is some American company who are going to provide some mad fast broadband in Donegal, is this true? I was thinking of calling Eircom to see if they changed their tone but frankly, they're a bunch of **** to deal with, no sense of professionalism.

And would this company be providing some good bandwidth as to cater for online gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

thers 100mb broadband coming to my da's school in donegal soon!...some ES initiaitve

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1014/imagine.html
    Could be thinking about this? Don't believe the hype and it isn't coming to Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Leprekaun wrote: »
    there is some American company who are going to provide some mad fast broadband in Donegal
    This the one with the cable from the USA? Heard about it some months back...

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, some cable coming from America through Scotland to Donegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Google for "Project Kelvin" , it will provide fibre to Letterkenny and if you don't live in Letterkenny then you had best start digging :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Google for "Project Kelvin" , it will provide fibre to Letterkenny and if you don't live in Letterkenny then you had best start digging :)

http://www.northwestnow.eu/index.jsp?p=100&n=106&a=88

'For the areas directly involved, the benefits will be manifold. With international connectivity, Letterkenny, Monaghan and their surrounding areas will be attractive bases for businesses'

I'm in the 'surrounding area' - the cable was laid within spitting distance of my house (as the crow flies) and I WILL start digging if I don't get it sometime :pac:

So Project Kelvin has been initiated? :P

Who do I go to about signing up to Project Kelvin? I live 5 miles from Letterkenny in a place called Newmills so I'm hoping its defined as part of the surrounding areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No residential connections will get connected to this fibre, its for backbone / backhaul networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

why not get organised and set up your own radio based WAN internet service, all you neet is a sky dish, a wifi card and a few people intrested to cover the distance. it's not rocket science. another option is satelitte internet but the latency isn't the best for gaming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Like I said , start digging . Fibre costs feck all compared to line rental :)

• Advertisement

you mean fibre optic? Yeah, alright but who provides fibre optic connections in Letterkenny?

Advertisement