Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Galway needs?

Options
  • 19-10-2009 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Think I've seen a thread like this before but what do ye guys reckon Galway needs, be it entertainment, shop wise etc? Or something thats there thats not done well enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Halfords
    KFC
    Ice Rink/Roller Rink Venue
    Paint Ball Venue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A proper infrastructure and public transport system.

Daily hangings of the tree hugging b*stards holding up the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

H&M
    Starbucks/Costa
    JJB
    D2
    Proper Ice Cream place
    Bigger River Island and Schuch (the Galway one is tiny)
    Urban Outfitters (long shot I know)
    Clockwork Orange
    a HMV that you could swing a cat in
    and a new tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

MOAR WIMMINS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jobs!

Preferrably not just mcjobs type ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A multifunction arena that can cater for expos and be adapted for seated concerts from 1500 to 5000 capacity.
    By-pass .
    New docks so the old docks area can be a proper inner city marina.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Enforced road traffic laws

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A proper infrastructure and public transport system.
    JustMary wrote: »
    Jobs!

Preferrably not just mcjobs type ones.
    I was going to say the above. Definitely the infrastructure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I second the proper infrastructure/public transport.

But also a Halfords and a decent Tesco would be nice, preferrably one with a fuel station.

And a few more decent restaurants.

Can't see any of the above happening any time soon tho:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

H+M
    Zara
    Less overpriced boutiques
    More coffee shops and ones that stay open like the old Javas and Scribbles cafe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Louocb

Galway definatley needs H&M and Zara they are my favourite.;)

What Galway needs? A way to get rid of that horrible stench that hangs around Corbett Court/Brown Thomas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I'd love if KFC came to Galway. Would'nt mind a Harvey Norman either.

jd007 wrote: »
    I'd love if KFC came to Galway. Would'nt mind a Harvey Norman either.

But why does Galway need more fast food restaurants? I honestly think one of the good things about this city is that there aren't chains everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Galway needs a decent shopping centre or something like it - the likes of the Dundrum town centre.

For a town that gets so much rain you'd expect them to build somewhere people could go and spend a wet afternoon in

The muppets in Council ain't going to build anything like that thats non commercial - so a commercial venture with shops with some entertainment added would have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,595 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Some of these mentioned before.

1. A complete and well thought out docks area upgrade. What the area was like for the VOR was an example of how it could be all the time. Pleasure boats and a scenic area for the population.
    2. While the bus service isnt actually THAT bad, it isnt used that much, and the reasons for this need to be looked into. A decent bus service would be the bare minimum for infrastructure, I'm not sure if the layout of the city/population would justify the cost of a light rail system.
    3. A fully functioning and accountable city council or whatever they call the gang that get elected annually. They spend more time arguing and bickering than anything else and are a complete waste of time in my opinion.
    4. A better town planning/engineering section in the council. Some of the money wasted on various projects in this city in the past few years has been nothing short of criminal.

3 and 4, would in itself lead to massive improvements around and about the city.

I dont give a toss for shops to be honest. We've enough overpriced rag traders round the place as it is.

kippy wrote: »
    Some of these mentioned before.

1. A complete and well thought out docks area upgrade. What the area was like for the VOR was an example of how it could be all the time. Pleasure boats and a scenic area for the population.
    2. While the bus service isnt actually THAT bad, it isnt used that much, and the reasons for this need to be looked into. A decent bus service would be the bare minimum for infrastructure, I'm not sure if the layout of the city/population would justify the cost of a light rail system.
    3. A fully functioning and accountable city council or whatever they call the gang that get elected annually. They spend more time arguing and bickering than anything else and are a complete waste of time in my opinion.
    4. A better town planning/engineering section in the council. Some of the money wasted on various projects in this city in the past few years has been nothing short of criminal.

3 and 4, would in itself lead to massive improvements around and about the city.

I dont give a toss for shops to be honest. We've enough overpriced rag traders round the place as it is.

100% percent agree with this post.

I'm not too pushed about shops either, however I do think the ones I mentioned in my previous post would be a good addition to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

+1 on a coffee place with comfy couches that stays open after 6pm. I do like Javas but sometimes its so jammed in there.

If only Starbucks/Costa would take over that ugly nightclub on Shop St and fill it with lovely couches and skinny peach muffins *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

But why does Galway need more fast food restaurants? I honestly think one of the good things about this city is that there aren't chains everywhere

there are also **** all indepdent local retailers that remain open in the city centre in recent months....lots shut down for a variety of reasons....the one good thing about chains is that they would bring in more shoppers and have a positive knock-on effect for the other local retailers, who either up the ante or die! anything is better than what's there at the moment - a stagnating city centre!

Personally I couldn't care less if Starbucks or Costa ever came to Galway tbh. Over priced and over-rated methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Personally I couldn't care less if Starbucks or Costa ever came to Galway tbh. Over priced and over-rated methinks.
    Starbucks don't sell coffee. They sell coffee themed milk drinks for people who don't like coffee.

I want municipal snipers in the middle of roundabouts, picking off the tyres of those who can't drive properly. They wouldn't cost that much, in fact someone with the mentality to like airsoft would probably do it for free. In addition, their quarters can be made of recycled election posters and they'll scavenge their food like something from a Ballard novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway needs:
    • A wider Cathedral bridge + another bridge over the Corrib
    • Light rail
    • Activities for young scumbags to keep them from developing into young criminals and then older dangerous criminals.
    • Maoz falafel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Shocked and disapppointed at the number of posters clamouring for more UK/US chain stores.

Begs the question for me - what are you doing living in Galway? Surely Galway's appeal is the lack thereof!!! Aren't you people aware of the other places you could move to if that is seriously your buzz?

Bypass is defo the most urgent request for me. Second would be a nice park near to the city, as opposed to Renvyle (half way to Clare).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Simius Puer

A big yes to improved transport infrastructure and public services. I've never been in a city so small with such a disproportionately large traffic problem.

In particular: a properly planned road network (stop the council putting in round-abouts as a solution to everything); fixing all the massive potholes everywhere; a decent public transport system including light rail links to all the big commuter towns...most days the traffic coming in on the N59 is back as far as Rahoon (1/3 of the way to Moycullen)!!

Also some decent parking - most of the carparks are shabby as hell and charge a fortune.

A closer reign on developers when they finally start building again...too many horrible little estates that are poorly planned and have bad facilities. All that leads to in the long term is a deterioration of an area, crime and anti-social behaviour in particular.

A big no to Starbucks. If you are going to ask for more coffee shops at least choose a decent one ;)

A Halfords would be handy, but I'd rather support local businesses first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

there are also **** all indepdent local retailers that remain open in the city centre in recent months....lots shut down for a variety of reasons....the one good thing about chains is that they would bring in more shoppers and have a positive knock-on effect for the other local retailers, who either up the ante or die! anything is better than what's there at the moment - a stagnating city centre!

This would produce as has been shown in every major town or city a complete removal of all local retailers as rents which are already crippling for independent retailers would increase more, so that only faceless chains could move in removing any individuality that makes Galway what it is.
    For the city centre the opposite is what is needed a reduction in rent allowing more not less independent retailers into the centre and as someone mentioned put a shopping centre out on the outskirts for all the chain stores.

Oh and please please no Starbucks they are the worst coffee shop out there ( I use the word coffee and starbucks together in the loosest possible sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

1. A nice park.
    2. Permanent marina as per VOR.
    3. Having been in the new Ballinasloe Tesco yesterday, I think the Galway city one is crap.
    4. Re-open Clifden railway line - would be an excellent attraction for the area but it's not going to happen due to costs. :(
    5. Another bridge over corrib / new by-pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

Yikes I have angered the masses with my mention of Starbucks. Hehe I guess ye can tell I am a tea-drinker.

How about this ->
    +1 on a coffee place with comfy couches that stays open after 6pm. I do like Javas but sometimes its so jammed in there.

If only a coffee shop big enough that you could sit there for an hour with a book and not feel in the way kind of like the Starbucks on Princes St. in Edinburgh, i really liked that one would take over that ugly nightclub on Shop St and fill it with lovely couches and skinny peach muffins *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

UUGHHHHH NO MORE COFFEE PLACES!!! AND NO MORE BAPS/PANINI/SANDWICH PLACES!!!!
    Are ye not sick of them???????

A Yo Sushi would do the job nicely!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

• A full outer bypass.
    • Seasmus Quirke/Bishop O'Donnell upgrade.
    • Grade seperation of as many roundabouts as possible on the existing ring road and install traffic lights where grade seperation is not possible.
    • Provision of pedestrian/cyclist bridge crossings on busy routes. This would improve safety for pedestrians/cyclists and help traffic.

For me, traffic and transport problems are the worst thing about Galway by a long shot. The new Waterford City Bypass is opening today and the people down there are saying it will change the lives of the people living there and be a big boost to business in Waterford and the entire South East region. Limerick's new tunnel and ring road will soon be complete. There are plans in Cork to make improvements to their South Ring Road and to eventually build a Northern Ring Road. The M50 upgrade will soon be complete. We are getting left behind here in Galway. Who will want to come and visit Galway when it's such a nightmare compared to other Irish cities? And who will want to do business here when transport is so ineffecient?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1019/breaking4.htm

Waterford bypass formally opened

Enough said

Advertisement