Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Galway needs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

More people growing good quality weed and less knacker drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Another bridge or two over the Corrib.
    More shops, pubs and restaurants outside of town
    Somewhere selling sushi. I don't care if it's a chain or somewhere small, just somewhere that doesn't just sell salmon, chicken terriaki, veggie and japanese omlette rolls.
    Wagamama
    Nandos
    Imsonmia
    H&M
    A bigger HMV and Schuh. Would be nice if HMV would start selling singles again too, I can't be the only person in Galway that likes them?
    Womens clothes shop that sells something a bit different but not expensive, ie somewhere that isn't selling all the same bodycon dress and Rare, Motel and Only stuff that seems to be in every single clothes shop in town.
    A few more late opening cafes. I love Java's but it gets packed and it's really not ideal if you're in a hurry.
    More & cheaper buses. €1.60 is a crazy price to go a mile or two on a bus that you've been waiting an hour for. Night buses would be nice too, even if they just kept going til 12 or 1 and started up again around 5 or 6.
    Get rid of the weird smell on shop street.

I don't ask for much, do I?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

What is that smell on shop street and where is it coming from?

It's aweful.

I was thinking it could be the bins (i.e - that they aren't being emptied regularly enough); but then surely there would be the same smell in other parts of town.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

KevR wrote: »
    What is that smell on shop street and where is it coming from?

It's aweful.

I was thinking it could be the bins (i.e - that they aren't being emptied regularly enough); but then surely there would be the same smell in other parts of town.

sewage system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

More roundabouts. The current 3,422 roundabouts are not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think that there should be more political activists, artists and buskers clogging up Shop Street on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

And more people standing in a massive circle blocking the whole street watching a crappy street performer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

So grumpy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

topper75 wrote: »
    Shocked and disapppointed at the number of posters clamouring for more UK/US chain stores.

Begs the question for me - what are you doing living in Galway? Surely Galway's appeal is the lack thereof!!! Aren't you people aware of the other places you could move to if that is seriously your buzz?

Galway is a city yet we don't even have a decent supermarket. Tesco has better stores in Ballinasloe, Clonmel and Killarney, yet we get stuck with a ****hole, despite having a much bigger population. Added to which Tesco let you use your clubcard for fuel purchases at their service stations, which given the amount of fuel I go thru would simply be MADE of win, AND they make the local service stations cop on in terms of their prices, which would be no bad thing in Galway. I have zero problem supporting Irish stores, but sorry, as supermarkets go Dunnes and Supervalu are distinctly lack lustre versus the selection in Tesco, particularly if you're any way into cooking. I'd shop in Superquinn if we had one but we don't.

And a Halfords would be bloody handy. At least there I could go in and buy the oil I need without being sneered at because I'm female and in a 'mans' domain:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Better infrastructure
    • Better public transport
    • A council that is run properly - i.e. doesn't **** up a reasonably working junction with one that is a total disaster, or doesn't squander millions on urban regeneration projects (Eyre Square)
    • Shoot Michael Crowe, Padraig Conneely and most of the rest of the retard councillors. Or just put them in stocks on a Saturday afternoon and provide free rotten tomatoes to the public.
    • No more chain shops, Shop/High St already resembles Main St., Milton on Keynes as it is.
    • New harbour development to go ahead, freeing up the current dock for marina development. Deepening of existing channel/dock to allow access at all stages of the tide.
    • A conference/concert venue at the docks, where the VOR race village was.
    • Once infrastructure is in place, extend pedestrianised areas to Middle St., Augustine St, Eyre Square, Eglinton St., Bridge St., Lombard St., Market St, Bowling Green, with only deliveries and resident access permitted.
    • Extend the prom to Silverstrand in a continuous trail for joggers, cyclists, walkers etc.
    • Create a continuous riverside walk from city centre to Dangan
    • Monorail. Monorail. Monorail.

• A council that is run properly - i.e. doesn't **** up a reasonably working junction with one that is a total disaster, or doesn't squander millions on urban regeneration projects (Eyre Square)
    • Shoot Michael Crowe, Padraig Conneely and most of the rest of the retard councillors. Or just put them in stocks on a Saturday afternoon and provide free rotten tomatoes to the public.
    Stocks; I like it :)
    • No more chain shops, Shop/High St already resembles Main St., Milton on Keynes as it is.

Please Please PLease don't liken Galway to Milton Keynes!!! Mind you, we have nearly as many roundabouts!
    • Extend the prom to Silverstrand in a continuous trail for joggers, cyclists, walkers etc.
    • Create a continuous riverside walk from city centre to Dangan

Brilliant idea.

Ditto for a decent concert hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I'll tell you what Galway doesn't need, a KFC restaurant, there is a reason that they aren't as popular in Ireland as oppose to other places. And i find when someone disagrees with that all you have to do is treat them to €6.95 half cooked Chicken drumstick, 17 skinny fries, and a coke portion consiting of ice and almost nothing else. Tends to convert. People calling for more coffee bars, nightclubs, sandwitch bars, japanese/chinese/oriental eateries, fast food joints, etc. Are you serious, we already have these, we don't need more.

What this city needs is another social spot like Long Walk/SpArch & Eyre Square (maybe along the docks), a direct route to Athlone, a bridge over the Corrib at maybe Annaghdown or something a single purpose music venue and , oh i dunno, a lite railway in the city.

What it doesn't need is a Dundrum-esqe centre, or (couldn't believe i read this) a HMV Superstore.

btw all Zara stock is in Galway Shopping Centre & Anthony Ryans i have just been informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

There are plans for a massive upgrade of the Headford Rd shopping centre with a rebuilt Tesco and a massive M&S. I expect the usual serial objectors to try and stop it.
    My biggest bone of contention is the same names crop up every time to try and stop anything that is proposed for the City, the by pass being one example. Perhaps getting rid of these space cadets would be the kick start the city needs.

I would like to see people urged out of their cars - higher parking charges, more BIK on parking spaces, taking road lanes away from private traffic, more enforcement of traffic laws, more traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Louocb wrote: »
    Galway definatley needs H&M and Zara they are my favourite.;)

what about a shoppin centre, a real one like Dundrum

galwayrush wrote: »
    There are plans for a massive upgrade of the Headford Rd shopping centre with a rebuilt Tesco and a massive M&S. I expect the usual serial objectors to try and stop it.
    My biggest bone of contention is the same names crop up every time to try and stop anything that is proposed for the City, the by pass being one example. Perhaps getting rid of these space cadets would be the kick start the city needs.

But even if this plan does go ahead, how long would it even take to complete??

I have zero problem supporting Irish stores, but sorry, as supermarkets go Dunnes and Supervalu are distinctly lack lustre versus the selection in Tesco, particularly if you're any way into cooking. I'd shop in Superquinn if we had one but we don't.

I have to disagree. I think tesco is an awful place(in general not just in galway) Dunnes is better but I prefer to shop in supervalue. They are usually smaller and easier to get around yet have everything I look for. They also have meat counter which Dunnes or Tesco do not have in a lot of places(like in Cork for instance).

I know my mother has the same opinion on Tesco she wouldn't go in the door of the place she says they have very little in there and what they have is not great.

On the topic of what Galway needs. A proper airport where Ryanair etc could land and make flying from Galway affordable.

I have to disagree. I think tesco is an awful place(in general not just in galway) Dunnes is better but I prefer to shop in supervalue. They are usually smaller and easier to get around yet have everything I look for. They also have meat counter which Dunnes or Tesco do not have in a lot of places(like in Cork for instance).

I know my mother has the same opinion on Tesco she wouldn't go in the door of the place she says they have very little in there and what they have is not great.

I would NEVER buy meat in a supermarket tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 agsiul

Galway should have a proper botanical gardens. It should be walled and locked at night so that it isn't full of needles in the morning. There should be proper staff employed to take care of it. It should have trees, flowers, plants, a greenhouse, etc. so that people who don't have a garden have a nice place to go when the weather is reasonable. It wouldn't have to be as big as the one in Dublin. The one in Belfast is a perfect size. It is well maintained and when the weather is good people sit out on the grass and enjoy the sunshine. this is what they should have done with the money they spent on eyre square.

• Advertisement

I would NEVER buy meat in a supermarket tbh.

Supervalue have very good meat I have found. Also for me anyway the only time I can shop is late in the evening so butchers would not be an option as they all close before I could get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

agsiul wrote: »
    Galway should have a proper botanical gardens. It should be walled and locked at night so that it isn't full of needles in the morning. There should be proper staff employed to take care of it. It should have trees, flowers, plants, a greenhouse, etc. so that people who don't have a garden have a nice place to go when the weather is reasonable. It wouldn't have to be as big as the one in Dublin. The one in Belfast is a perfect size. It is well maintained and when the weather is good people sit out on the grass and enjoy the sunshine. this is what they should have done with the money they spent on eyre square.

they have a kind of park on the headford road beside the omniplex. i do not know if it is a hang out for undesirables.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mashling wrote: »
    If only a coffee shop big enough that you could sit there for an hour with a book and not feel in the way kind of like the Starbucks on Princes St. in Edinburgh, i really liked that one would take over that ugly nightclub on Shop St and fill it with lovely couches and skinny peach muffins *sigh*

Lynch's on Shop St, above Zhivago, is like that. All that needs to change is the opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

a mens clothes shop! which is not full of "pink" t-shirts and sizes made for children! topman should be renamed topboy!
    the only decent mens clothes shop is origin, thats only half decent as well, one shop ffs!

and a bypass, fridays may aswell be a day of work the traffic is so bad. What do the city council say or do? nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

fend wrote: »
    UUGHHHHH NO MORE COFFEE PLACES!!! AND NO MORE BAPS/PANINI/SANDWICH PLACES!!!!
    Are ye not sick of them???????

A Yo Sushi would do the job nicely!!!!!

YO! is terrible and way over priced.

A Yammaori or other independant would be much better.

Also, like has been said, a proper coffee house with a few nice sofas and arm chairs thats isnt so small that you feel like your taking up space if your more than 15 mins in the place that sells good coffee would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭pepsi1234

Galway needs to stop being referred to as a 'city'. It is a small European town ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

it looks like a roughly equal division between people who want galway to stay as is, with more indepdendent touchy feely shops...and people who want more 'evil' national or UK chains to come and offer more choice.

I wonder if the divisions are reflected in whether people are native galwegians (born here etc) or blow-ins who have settled in the city due to its bohemian nature and general lank of 'chic-ness'? Would be interesting to gauge.....I find most people who grew up in Galway are the ones who would welcome more the chains, while those who settle here like it as is, if with some of the changes to infrastructure etc that are mentioned above.

Most of the serial objectors are blow-ins with no roots in the town...just a theory....do with it what you will!

Native more or less.

Not pushed on Starbucks but wouldn't mind some of the bigger chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Seaneh wrote: »
    YO! is terrible and way over priced.

A Yammaori or other independant would be much better.

There are two independent in the city centre (i think one is off Docks/Merchant's Road near House hotel) and a yammaori opened years ago and closed after a month on upper dominic st.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Also, like has been said, a proper coffee house with a few nice sofas and arm chairs thats isnt so small that you feel like your taking up space if your more than 15 mins in the place that sells good coffee would be nice.

There are dozens of places like that in Galway, Lynch's, McCambridges, Upstairs in Java, An Tobar Nua, Antons, Mocha's on Edward Sq., Nimmo's, DeBurgo's (now), insomnia is good too (which people on this thread have been calling for even though there is one:rolleyes:).

I know none of them tick all boxes but one i can remember that did was Scribblers across from Charlie Byrne's, full of crusties sipping on coffee and sitting on the couches for hours on end nursing their cold hot drink. Scribblers shut down as people just hung about doing nothing purchasing something small hours prior to when they depart the place. That's the 21st century for you though! Those coffee shops can't exist outright in recession hit Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

churchview wrote: »

240746_1.jpg?ts=1255993239

Did Ireland buy these bridges in bulk? Every time I see talk of a new bridge it looks just like this one.

Advertisement