Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Galway needs?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

jkforde......'renovate the derelict Nun's Island mill\distillery'

what is the deal with that place ? Is it in private or public ownership ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

none too sure, does NUIG own it?

from http://www.realizedvision.com/waterways.php:
    In 1980, the then University College Galway purchased a flour mill, situated on Gaol River at Nun's Island.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

a clean cinema, the Omniplex is filthy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

aido179 wrote: »
    Just had time to think for a while. one main idea i would love to see is a hydro turbine by the salmon wier. Just watching the last few days...theres huge potential there.

No thanks, turbine blades and fish don't go too well together. It wouldn't be called the Salmon Weir for long after that... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Not sure about the ownership, but it was once a chemical factory and I think the site is too contaminated to redevelop; or rather it could be developed, but the amount of money needed to remove/treat the chemical waste renders the area uneconomical to develop.

So I think we are stuck with it as it is tbh:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ardnacrusha has way way more water and it only feeds a miniscule portion of the national leccy demand. Nice try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Raised to the ground! Dirty smelly rat infested place.

topper75 wrote: »
    Ardnacrusha has way way more water and it only feeds a miniscule portion of the national leccy demand. Nice try.

It also caused the virtual extinction of salmon in the Shannon upstream of the dam. No way would it be allowed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Zzippy wrote: »
    It also caused the virtual extinction of salmon in the Shannon upstream of the dam. No way would it be allowed here.

There is a fish pass/ladder. The fish don't get into the penstocks!

Anyway - my point is that such a turbine is pointless at the weir as it yields so little power. Ardnacrusha has 1000 raging winter Corribs. Fish wouldn't be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

akaredtop wrote: »
    Raised to the ground! Dirty smelly rat infested place.

3763059920_cbe15ed3a8.jpg

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    There is a fish pass/ladder. The fish don't get into the penstocks!

Anyway - my point is that such a turbine is pointless at the weir as it yields so little power. Ardnacrusha has 1000 raging winter Corribs. Fish wouldn't be affected.

No offence but you know sweet FA about it. The "fish pass" at Ardnacrusha is a joke. Downstream migrating fish do get into the penstocks and go through the turbines. Same at the dams on the Erne. And there is published research on the effects of small and large turbines on fish - small turbines do affect fish. Off topic though as it will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Less bloody roundabouts!

H&M, Stradivarius and Zara. Lack of shopping opportunities in Galway is very frustrating.

Nuh uh to more fast food chains anyway.

It does need a wagamama though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

More tennis courts that are open to the public.

The lawn tennis club is costly. NUIGs' court has been turned into a carpark. Corrib Village is being dug up and worked on, what it will be I have no idea, hopefully courts again. That leaves just Westside, which is four public tennis courts in a city of 75000 ( I could be wrong on this if anyone would like to correct me). I think this is poor.

Ikea would be nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goldilocks77

H&M and Zara, please!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Clinque

Mmm Wagamama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 moimeme24

a decent sized marks and spencers!!
    another tesco on the western side of the city, i mean the one on headford road is the worst in ireland imo!!!
    mens shops with decent range for 25 - 35 yos!!!! galway is piss poor for shopping compared to similar sized cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 agsiul

What the hell is wrong with you people....more cafés and shops....what we need is places for people to go to enjoy themselves that don't cost money.

Nothing is free in this world - even a walk on the prom costs the city money to keep clean etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 doggie1313

ScumLord wrote: »
    More people growing good quality weed and less knacker drugs.

got some great skunk there a while ago:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I think we badly need a shopping center OUTSIDE town (something like Dundrum, Liffey Valley etc). Not as big as them but something that gives people an option rather than having to go into town to buy anything. It all just adds to traffic build up.

A nice big Waterstones.
    Some more art galleries/cultural buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

+1 on Waterstones. I've tried to buy 5 books in the last month and none of the shops in the city had them; and only one of the books was anyway obscure.

So I ended up getting what I needed on Amazon. I would have preferred to shop locally but I didn't have a choice. How can any of these shops expect to compete when they don't even try??? In one of the shops on one occasion the SA suggested that o just go on Amazon and get what I was looking for....great sales technique :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Definitely a Waterstones is needed.

I would much prefer a Dunkin' Donuts instead of a Starbucks if one of either were to set up in Galway.

I can't see any new shopping centres happening in the near future nor can I see Carnmore being developed as I can see that airport being closed in the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

+1 on Waterstones. I've tried to buy 5 books in the last month and none of the shops in the city had them; and only one of the books was anyway obscure.

So I ended up getting what I needed on Amazon. I would have preferred to shop locally but I didn't have a choice. How can any of these shops expect to compete when they don't even try??? In one of the shops on one occasion the SA suggested that o just go on Amazon and get what I was looking for....great sales technique :rolleyes:

Galway certainly could do with a Waterstones, but not as much as Dublin could do with a Charlie Byrnes.

(I willing to be corrected but I never been in a second hand/remainder book shop in Dublin thats anything like as good as Charlie Byrnes)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Weatherspoons > Waterstones

Cheap food and drink. No, I don't care if it's a massive chain that doesn't have the charm of local pubs who happen to charge a 500% markup on a pint. It would be great to have the option of somewhere a bit cheaper. Some serious competition is needed in the pub trade in Galway (and the rest of the country).

As far as I know, Weatherspoons did try to enter the Irish market at some point in the past but it was blocked by the government (not surprising when you look at all the politicians who own pubs).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

A few more destinations from the Airport, maybe even Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

lion_bar wrote: »

Would like to see Ryanair in Galway Airport but we would need a longer runway for that to happen.

To be honest though, I can see the motorways killing Galway Airport completely. When the M6 is fully finished you should be able get to Dublin Airport in 1 hour 45 mins or less. When the next section of M18 is complete (will bypass Gort, Crusheen and the really bad stretch of road between the 2 towns) Shannon Airport will be comfortably under an hour. When the M18 eventually comes the whole way to Rathmorrisey in few years time, Shannon will be less than 40 mins probably.

Can't see much being invested in Galway Airport when that will be the case and people will be far less likely to pay higher prices to fly from Galway when they can get to Shannon or Dublin quickly and get cheaper flights.

lion_bar wrote: »

AFAIK the runway isn't long enough to take passenger jet aircraft, and since Ryanair only fly jets it just ain't going to happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Longer runways and one-way tickets to get out of that depressing filthy town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

akaredtop wrote: »
    Longer runways and one-way tickets to get out of that depressing filthy town.

Don't mind if i get banned, but F*CK you! Piss off back to ur bally go-backwards or generic metropolis then.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Although i would prefer not to be. :o

Advertisement