Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Galway needs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Please don't feed the trolls,

akaredtop has been given a ban, so he likely won't see or respond to your post.

Edit:
    In future please just use the 'report post' button (a little exclamation mark in a triangle) to the left of a problematic post, that way the moderators can act on it without the thread descending into a flame war.

/moderation

Galway needs more chippers like Vinnies, preferably in the western suburbs :d

mmmm tasty greasy chips....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Please don't feed the trolls,

akaredtop has been given a ban, so he likely won't see or respond to your post.

Edit:
    In future please just use the 'report post' button (a little exclamation mark in a triangle) to the left of a problematic post, that way the moderators can act on it without the thread descending into a flame war.

/moderation

hope he is banned for life for that statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mag, can ya ban that pleb?

Seaneh wrote: »
    Mag, can ya ban that pleb?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62809331&postcount=122

Back on topic folks...

/moderation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Galway is ok to work in but it needs quicker exits so that you can get the hell out of there in the evening back to the banner.:p

akaredtop wrote: »
    Galway is ok to work in but it needs quicker exits so that you can get the hell out of there in the evening back to the banner.:p

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

What Galway needs is.....a new City Manager and a new Director of Services!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Dinosaurs,seriously,that would so cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

A big huge dehumidifier, like the size of Lough Attalia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

A big huge dehumidifier, like the size of Lough Attalia

Global Warming me arse !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

what galway needs... Mr Snowplow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

1. most traffic in galway is people trying to get from one side of town to the other to shop or work. its not through traffic. so they have to be got out of their cars. park and ride is the obvious solution to this. with dedicated bus only streets and roads. if thats not feasible then GLUAS must be looked at
    2. get rid of stupid lights on roundabouts. especially on Headford road. what genius engineer thought that up? the whole idea of roundabouts is the free flow of traffic.
    3. get rid of traffic lights at end of quincintennial bridge at newcastle, make all traffic go through the existing roundabout at back of hospital (after it has been upgraded)
    4. making use of the fisheries field for some sort of landmark building. its the best site in the city
    5. stop all the ugly buildings going up. some of the architecture would make ya weep.
    6. stop UK and US retail outlets from shop street. save the units for irish shops. jesus wept its looking more like grafton street every day
    7. cycle lanes and proper safe cycle parking facilities

The university has/had plans for a concert hall on the fisheries field - a new aula maxima.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I'd love if Urban Outfitters opened up in Galway.

I wish there was competition for local places like La Salsa, Charcoal Grill or Cava.
    I think the city center needs a video shop, RIP 2000AD :(

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

get rid of stupid lights on roundabouts. especially on Headford road. what genius engineer thought that up? the whole idea of roundabouts is the free flow of traffic.

Those traffic lights work very well imo.
    Do you think it would be any easier without them? I can't see how it would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

A big concert hall.
    TGI Fridays.
    Heatons.
    A bigger runway at the airport.
    An outer by pass.
    A local daily newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

There are a lot of great ideas in this thread, to which I'd like to add a major outdoor market area, the one hiding down the back of St Nicks is great but really too small, and the other indoor one around the corner from Roisíns isn't that great, although kudos on the effort.

What Galway needs is a proper, large sized open air market open seven days a week to support local entrepreneurs in these hard economic times, with preference given to local artists, talent and farmers. Theres a scatter of craft markets all over the west as well, it would be a good idea to tie these in, possibly with official busking areas spread around it. For the character of the city and as a tourist attraction, it would be a tremendous boost.

As well as that I'd recommend a good sized building well outfitted and designated for hobby and craft groups, social clubs and societies, the kind of things that don't really fit in a gym. This could also double as an educational facility where short run courses on various arts and crafts could be hosted. Ideally for a city the size of Galway you'd want a fair few rooms - maybe the council could take over one of the defunct hotels around about?

I don't think we need more international franchises and chains popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I like the idea of this thread but by now most people are just repeating suggestions that were already mentioned on previous pages.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I like the idea of this thread but by now most people are just repeating suggestions that were already mentioned on previous pages.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Maybe I've got it wrong and this thread is just for fun, but......

I think we need to start investing big time in the University and the GMIT and establish Galway as the global center for Bio/med science/engineering. Its a massive industry and the west of Ireland could become the world leader of this sector. It will probably never happen though given the quality of our political leaders!

Emm some people think we need more clothes and fast food shops?:confused:

That will put Galway on the map I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

more infrastucture in working class areas. a Sinn Féin office (i'm in Ógra Shinn Féin:)). Hopefully less head shops or atleast more warnings. More traditional Fish n' Chips shops

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PomBear wrote: »
    more infrastucture in working class areas

What sort of infrastructure are you thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

JustMary wrote: »
    What sort of infrastructure are you thinking about?

good question because i'm not too sure myself. Integration stuff with multinationals. Homework clubs, Job skills teaching etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

EI111 wrote: »
    Those traffic lights work very well imo.
    Do you think it would be any easier without them? I can't see how it would

It wouldn't work better without the lights. Removing the lights would be downgrading the junction.

Removing the roundabout and having just traffic lights would be an improvement, although there isn't much point in upgrading the Shopping Centre roundabout unless you do the Menlo Park roundabout also (in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Okay, I've read every post till now so this is my tuppence worth as a born and bred local

Regarding the more shops and shopping centers remarks.. we just don't need them

We need another public swimming pool on the East side of the city (kingfisher have very restricted hours that don't allow teens to swim during the week, there are hidden charges and they're very snobby to non-members)

We have new tennis courts in Doughiska (the locals have started clean ups and walking groups so that bush drinkers dont' take over)

We could do with a regualar carboot sale of flea market to get rid of/recycle our clobber in these recession times

It'd be great if the airport moved to the (much longer) airstrip beside the train line in Oranmore. Can you imagine!!! A train to the airport!!! It's owned by the military I believe and they use it for target practice. Unfortunatly, there's too many buisness people in the Chamber of commerce who have a vested interest in keeping it in the less desirable carnmore so it'll never happen).

More publicity for all the public parks we have (Aunteen and Uncleen woods, Merlin woods used more to scare off the bush drinkers)

Regarding Headford road roundabout, I know who designed it (now passed away) or rather the bridge to it. It was never intended for the shopping centre to have access to it but Galway shopping Centre insisted. The engineer in question pointed out to city hall that if GSC got thier way the roundabout would become very difficult to use and was very angry they ignored his recommendations

I could go on, but those remarks were made in earlier posts...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

There is nowhere to go for a nice walk! Galway needs a proper city park with trees ,flowers and benches. It is also very poor when it comes to buy clothes. :/ Disaster!

surime wrote: »
    There is nowhere to go for a nice walk! Galway needs a proper city park with trees ,flowers and benches. It is also very poor when it comes to buy clothes. :/ Disaster!

The prom?
    Along the river out to Dangan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Wow.. ;) I mean city PARK. I used to live in few european cities and there were parks everywhere. It's really pity that there is none here.
    The prom -ok -but what is it actually? Path along stone shore - not impressive -sorry. I prefere along river where Menlo castle is ,but still thats no it. :(

• Advertisement

surime wrote: »
    Wow.. ;) I mean city PARK. I used to live in few european cities and there were parks everywhere. It's really pity that there is none here.
    The prom -ok -but what is it actually? Path along stone shore - not impressive -sorry. I prefere along river where Menlo castle is ,but still thats no it. :(

I'm sure there are plenty of Europeans who come to Galway and wish they could have something like the prom at home.

Saying "Path along stone shore" is kind of childish, why would you prefer 'path in grass with trees'?

Galway city is small, there are plenty of green areas around the city that would not be considered city parks, but in effect are parks equidistant from city centre and suburbs as city parks in bigger european cities often are.

I really think your prom statement is silly by the way.

Advertisement