Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Galway needs?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Ok ,sorry. :) I just miss so much big trees ,green areas etc. Thanks for teaching me new word : equidistant ,equidistant, equidistant... I like it ;)

- maybe I cant reach those green areas because I dont drive yet ,but I am on it and I will check.. cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

surime wrote: »
    Ok ,sorry. :) I just miss so much big trees ,green areas etc. Thanks for teaching me new word : equidistant ,equidistant, equidistant... I like it ;)

Go out to Cappagh park it's a nice place. (Edit: get the city direct bus to cappagh road)

Yes equidistant is a nice word alright.

Cappagh park? I have never heard about that one before! Where is it?

Ok I checked on map, I though thats golf course and I dont like golf and golfers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Ok I checked on map, I though thats golf course and I dont like golf and golfers. :)

Cappagh is not a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

City by-pass asap. AAGGHHHHHHHHHH more objections and court atempts at stopping even the part that got permission. Why won't these people go away.
    :confused::mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

galwayrush wrote: »
    Why won't these people go away.
    My understanding of the situation is that the planning of the bypass was shrouded in mystery, and what eventually emerged was 22km of bypass to cover an 8km route, increasing road frontage for lots of property. I'm sure there's a thread for this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Cappagh is not a golf course.

Is anyone able to point out Cappagh park on a map to me?

Surime: when it warms up, you might like to check out Silverstrand beach and Barna Woods (public transport directions on this page - near the bottom of the page - it's on my list of things to do a better map for, but what's there gives you an idea).

Also, Ballyloughan Beach (catch the 2e bus ... hmm, just realised that I've never done directions for it ... added it to the list ;) )

But in general, Irish town and cities don't go much for public parks with benches, flowers etc. I've been told it's to do with what happens when they build facilities like this: teenagers here do something called "bushing", which is essentially public drinking, and tends to make a mess of things.

2qmhksn.jpg

West of where the red bubble marked A is the road is labelled Cappagh Road.
    The entrance to cappagh park is where the first 'a' in the word cappagh is.

• Advertisement

"The entrance to cappagh park is where the first 'a' in the word cappagh is"

-that sound's mysterious... hidden park... :rolleyes:

"The entrance to cappagh park is where the first 'a' in the word cappagh is"

-that sound's mysterious... hidden park... :rolleyes:

no it's just precise
    start using the thanks button instead of the :rolleyes: when people try to help you

Oh, thank you! :)
    Where is your sense of humour? :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

The galway shopping centre to be raised to the ground, pointless place that is a deathtrap in access and should never have been allowed to have access from the roundabout...

The Black Box to be bought and put under the management of people who could actually work the place as opposed to it being a building in a car park...

All the places that serve crap over priced food with bad serice to be closed (ohh ohh will be a very derelict city lol)

A way of accessing westside.... any way?????????

I reckon what Galway needs is for time to go back to ten or fifteen years , when it was a lively thriving town, not a 'city' full of people who want to shop in zara and drink coffee in starbucks... blimmin heck.......................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

louisa200 wrote: »
    The galway shopping centre to be raised to the ground, pointless place that is a deathtrap in access and should never have been allowed to have access from the roundabout...

I disagree, the shopping centre is at least 30 years old and near the centre of town, beside the N6/N84. Accessible to motorists and pedestrians alike. I don't think anyone has yet died trying to make their way to Tesco, but prove me wrong :cool:

louisa200 wrote: »

The Black Box to be bought and put under the management of people who could actually work the place as opposed to it being a building in a car park...

All the places that serve crap over priced food with bad serice to be closed (ohh ohh will be a very derelict city lol)

A way of accessing westside.... any way?????????

I reckon what Galway needs is for time to go back to ten or fifteen years , when it was a lively thriving town, not a 'city' full of people who want to shop in zara and drink coffee in starbucks... blimmin heck.......................

Do you like to shop in penneys? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    I disagree, the shopping centre is at least 30 years old and near the centre of town, beside the N6/N84. Accessible to motorists and pedestrians alike. I don't think anyone has yet died trying to make their way to Tesco, but prove me wrong :cool:

+1

I agree it shouldn't have access from the RAB. Other than that, seems to me that it does pretty well for the volumes it gets, and I love the fact that it's walkable from town. If they started again, I'm sure it'd go further away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Halfords
    KFC
    Ice Rink/Roller Rink Venue
    Paint Ball Venue

Well done sgthighway, you correctly predicted all of the above except the rollerrink thing.
    Your prize is in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well done sgthighway, you correctly predicted all of the above except the rollerrink thing.
    Your prize is in the post.

We use to have a roller rink across from the GPO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

That roller rink is still there albeit very dilapidated and used as a storeroom by the Imperial Hotel. Would be great if they could rejuvenate it again! I don't remember it too well but my parents used to go there in their youth! Think there was a cinema there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 BISHBOY

That roller rink is still there albeit very dilapidated and used as a storeroom by the Imperial Hotel. Would be great if they could rejuvenate it again! I don't remember it too well but my parents used to go there in their youth! Think there was a cinema there too.

That was the Savoy Cinema - famous in its day as your mother may recall. Then taken over by Hallinan(Oslo) from Salthill and converted to a rink

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

A City architect to review planning applications.

A high-quality design standard for public furniture and things like ESB boxes, An Post postboxes, lamp-post, bins (6 different types at present) and bus shelters.

Decent paving in pedestrianised areas, by this I mean competent, level and with a camber so that water drains off into -

Properly cleaned and maintained drains, that are designed for 1 in a 100 year rainfall events, not 1 in a month/week.

Kerbstones and pavements that are level and set at about half the height they are now. They're very difficult for the elderly, those with buggies, and people with mobility issues.

Plain pieces of footpath beside traffic lights instead of the current stainless-steel studs that are lethal in wet weather.

A ban on pvc doors, drainpipes and guttering on city-centre and period buildings (maybe in general I hate the things).

Advertisement