Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tripod advice

• 19-10-2009 7:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭

My old tripod got smashed up a few weeks back and now I'm in the hunt for a new one. I seem to remember that manfrotto are the most recomended.

I mainly used the old one for landscapes, water and night time photography, this time I would like one that can be used close to the ground. I've a budget of about €200 to €250, is this reasonable?

What would be your recomendations for a tripod and head?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I too was recently in the market for a tripod and was going to buy a Manfrotto.

When searching around I found the Slik 700DX Pro - it is slightly cheaper than the Manfrotto but I think at least as good.

Can go all the way to ground level just lacks the ability to hold the camera horizontal (for Macro photography), but if wanted for landscape then no issue

At least worth taking a look in you local camera store at this model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

There's a thread on this from a few days back. I guess search is still down, but use google with 'site:boards.ie' in the query and you'll get results only from here. And yes, the prevailing opinion was, as always, buy a manfrotto :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I'm a big fan of my Slik Pro 350dx - can reverse the centre column to get to ground level (and upside down photos ;) ) or upright it goes to around 30ish cm above ground.

Cost me 50 euro and can hold a D90, SB600 and 55-200mm lens without problems (can probably hold more too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have a cheap tripod, I wouldnt use a tripod often enough to invest in a tripod but if you do definitely go with the manfrotto, from what I hear it is the best around and no point taking a chance with a cheapy if you rely on it. Mine comes out around 3 times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

+1 for Slik Tripods - I have the Slik Able 300DX, cost me about 100 quid. You can reverse the centre column, and it's extentable to a nice height (good for tall people like me) and very sturdy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

For €200-250 you'd get the Manfrotto 190X Pro B Tripod legs (about €160 here).

There's a wide variety of heads, I've got the Manfrotto 222 Joystick which sells in the shops here for around €120.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I think manfrotto is overrated actually I also have a Slik Pro and I would recommend, also check Giotto's tripods they are pretty good too, in Manfrotto you pay a lot for the brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

+1 for slik tripods - my able 300dx is very good though a bit heavy. Centre column can be shortened easily to allow very low ground clearance without reversing the column; or can be reversed to allow it to be level with the ground. You can also change heads on them if you're thus inclined.

I'd say just go into a camera store and try them out though. If you're in dublin Berminghams and Halls have a decent selection of Slik tripods (I think conns mainly sell manfrottos).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭phog

Guys thanks for the advice, now that I can search boards by using google I'l do a bit more research.

I may need the tripod for macro at some stage in the future, if I can ever afford a lens :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

DutchGuy wrote: »
    +1 for slik tripods - my able 300dx is very good though a bit heavy. Centre column can be shortened easily to allow very low ground clearance without reversing the column; or can be reversed to allow it to be level with the ground. You can also change heads on them if you're thus inclined.

I'd say just go into a camera store and try them out though. If you're in dublin Berminghams and Halls have a decent selection of Slik tripods (I think conns mainly sell manfrottos).

+2 for slicks, manfrottos are very over rated and not worth the price difference vs slicks.

I have the pro 500dx and its excellent. Stable enough for high magnification with a scope and the reverseable column is very nice too :D

Mine was 90 euro on the shop on great georges street (not gunns)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

FWIW, I've had a few people recommend me Gitzo tripods. Seen a few pros and semi-pros rave about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

FWIW, I've had a few people recommend me Gitzo tripods. Seen a few pros and semi-pros rave about them.

They're also enormously expensive :-) In some other thread I mention the three things you want from a tripod. It has to be cheap, light, and stable. You can get any two of these at one time. Manfrotto and slik fall into the cheap and stable category. Gitzo, particularly the carbon fibres, fall into the light and stable camp ...

Advertisement