Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation Meal

Options
  • 19-10-2009 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

So im graduating this Thursday :D
    Anybody have any ideas for somewhere to gfo for a lunch/light dinner thats not too busy and reasonable in price?
    Doesnt have to be city centre, looking at Lohans in Salthill at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

mcd's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

dazzday wrote: »
    So im graduating this Thursday :D
    Anybody have any ideas for somewhere to gfo for a lunch/light dinner thats not too busy and reasonable in price?
    Doesnt have to be city centre, looking at Lohans in Salthill at the moment

Try the Oslo a few doors down the food is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ah grauation, not looking forward to mine as it really spells out "You're not a student anymore" :( - until next year :D:D

Depends what you're after. If something casual, give McSwiggans a shot maybe? You can walk there from the college too so no need to worry about designated drivers etc. as you skull as much wine as possible in the tent after the graduation :p

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

^^ True enough! :D

Problem with Mcswiggans and the likes is they will be crazy busy, with people being rushed out due to bookings etc. Or so I have been told!

Thats why im looking for a place thats a little more quiet, relaxed and good quality for a meal with the family. Outside the city centre could be the best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Barna?
    O'Gradys on the pier or Donnelly's

• Advertisement

According to the website O'Gradys isnt open til 6pm...looking for something around 3-4pm

Looks smexual tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

We had 3 courses (including a nice big steak) with a cup of coffee afterwards in the restaurant part of the Westwood for the brother's graduation today, think it was €25 a head. I was well impressed but I think the restaurant only opens at half 4, maybe a bit late for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Claregalway Hotel if ye have transport. Can't beat it for value and service. If not, Westwood is fab. Can also vouch for The Oslo if you want something a bit more casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Park Room Restaurant in the Park House Hotel go all out for graduations. They have a special menu and cards of congratulations on the table. We had my brother's grad there a few years ago. It was brilliant and the food was fantastic - good taste and great portions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

O Gradys is awesome but its a bit pricey for dinner but its worth every cent! but theyre normally open for lunch! I had lunch in there not so long ago!

How about the Huntsman or

Mustard in the bridge mills, really casual but fits your criteria - light lunch!

• Advertisement

What's the big f00kin deal with Graduation anyway? I just don't get it. You went to college and you got what you expected (a degree/diploma/cert whatever) - FFS when I graduated I went for Soup and Chips rather than wasting it on a fancy meal

(This isin't an attack at the OP - just don't see the big deal tbh)

(And before any of you cnuts say that Soup and Chips is all I should get after completing my LC :pac:, i'll have you know I got a First Class Honours degree, so the food didn't reflect my grade!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What's the big f00kin deal with Graduation anyway? I just don't get it. You went to college and you got what you expected (a degree/diploma/cert whatever) - FFS when I graduated I went for Soup and Chips rather than wasting it on a fancy meal

I don't see what's not to get actually. You've graduated, your parents and family are proud as punch and want to see your achievements acknowledged and celebrated with a nice bit of food, a few pints and a bit of craic. I'm not too into the whole dinner thing myself but the occasions (my grads) for my mother (and family) were immensely special to her and if it keeps her happy then what more does anyone want. I guess these are big occasions for families.

It's easy to get.

I don't see what's not to get actually. You've graduated, your parents and family are proud as punch and want to see your achievements acknowledged and celebrated with a nice bit of food, a few pints and a bit of craic. I'm not too into the whole dinner thing myself but the occasions (my grads) for my mother (and family) were immensely special to her and if it keeps her happy then what more does anyone want. I guess these are big occasions for families.

It's easy to get.

+1

The graduation ceremony and meal is really a day for your parents to feel proud etc. I had my whole family at the meal, aunts, uncles, grandaunts/uncles cousins etc. I wanted this myself but my mother really wanted this sort of set up. Then after a few hours I went off and met the other lads and we had a great night on the beer.

I actually really enjoyed my graduation day.

On the op's question I had my meal in Park House its the default place for family events in my family as you know you will get a good meal in there and its a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

(This isin't an attack at the OP - just don't see the big deal tbh)

(And before any of you cnuts say that Soup and Chips is all I should get after completing my LC :pac:, i'll have you know I got a First Class Honours degree, so the food didn't reflect my grade!)

Celebration...

It's easy to get.

Ah right, a day for your parents eventhough it's your graduation. How silly of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Ah right, a day for your parents eventhough it's your graduation. How silly of me!

grumpy.jpg
    In all fairness John.

If someone wants to mark an achievement and get their family together to celebrate that can only be a good thing.

padi89 wrote: »
    In all fairness John.

If someone wants to mark an achievement and get their family together to celebrate that can only be a good thing.

Fair enough, I just don't see the whole point! (And i've another graduation of mine in a month :pac:)

I just don't see the point in a big splash up meal for graduating college. I'm all for celebration and acknowledging one's success but FFS there's thousands of people who got the same thing as you, it's not as if you're unique or came up with the cure for cancer.

How much would a meal cost for a big family for one's graduation - Could be anything up to 600euro, with the parents paying. Just give the person who graduated the 600euro and let them spend it how they wish :D (You'd get a nice weeks holiday for 600euro this time of year!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Fair enough, I just don't see the whole point! (And i've another graduation of mine in a month :pac:)

I just don't see the point in a big splash up meal for graduating college. I'm all for celebration and acknowledging one's success but FFS there's thousands of people who got the same thing as you, it's not as if you're unique or came up with the cure for cancer.

How much would a meal cost for a big family for one's graduation - Could be anything up to 600euro, with the parents paying. Just give the person who graduated the 600euro and let them spend it how they wish :D (You'd get a nice weeks holiday for 600euro this time of year!)

There doesn't have to be a whole point to everything,your posting reminds me of the Kevin character Harry Enfield used to do.Why celebrate Birthdays, Weddings, Communions, Christenings etc thousands of them too everyday so why should people acknowledge them it doesn't make them unique?
    The thing is they are unique, that person is unique to that family its their blood, the person that they have brought up and raised and shared time with, a person that is important in their lives.If its an excuse to get the family together to enjoy themselves that's great, sure don't we do that most weekends going boozing with our mates.
    As for the money side of it, how much you do or don't want to spend is choice.From reading your posts you do seem to me to be very money/cost on the mind, its certainly not a bad trait but sometimes its better to not just analyze it all the time. Usually if someone is bringing you out for meal money isn't really the issue the company and celebration is more important. You'd
    be a right cnut to say "No thanks, can i have the money instead".

Anyhoo i can't believe i even bothered writing this, if you can't understand basic human emotion and interaction then ............:confused:
    The cure for cancer analogy real cool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

How many fcuking graduations have you had - you've got a 1:1 degree, you have a graduation next month and another next year???

How many fcuking graduations have you had - you've got a 1:1 degree, you have a graduation next month and another next year???

PM me if you want to know my personal life (include a pic too :pac:)

PS. I don't have another one next year, don't know where ya got that out of. It'll be 2 years before I get my masters (fingers crossed)

• Advertisement

Correct, thousands of people who have achieved something and want to celebrate it with their families. Perhaps you have so many achievements that these 'celebrations' tend to get a little boring for you.:rolleyes:

Correct, thousands of people who have achieved something and want to celebrate it with their families. Perhaps you have so many achievements that these 'celebrations' tend to get a little boring for you.:rolleyes:

Dude, you know me so well

:rolleyes:

I just have a hankering for a steak...

Park House it is..thanks guys!

dazzday wrote: »
    I just have a hankering for a steak...

Park House it is..thanks guys!

Enjoy your day dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I graduated 4 times. Celebrated each one. For some in my class it was the first time anyone in their family had gone on to 3rd level, for others awards were given for exceptional results. For me, I'd been sick and never thought I'd see the day. I loved it. We did the meal on the cheap and I loved it as much as an expensive one. We're all different I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I'm similar to John Cleary on this issue and never attended any of my graduations.

The fact that I don't hugely value rituals, is probably the main reason for not being interested in attending. Secondly, I felt there were more meaningful opportunities for glory elsewhere -if I wanted glory- than in the whole graduation thing which I found a tad shallow. Thirdly, I prefer to celebrate any achievements privately and then move on to the next project quickly without looking back at the last one. Fourthly, I was always working on my graduation day and it would have inconvenienced people if I were to take the day off. My family would be of similar mindset to myself and didn't miss the graduation days out.

Congratulations on your graduation and enjoy the celebration. I just wanted - the aquatic allusion is for his benefit - to row in behind John Cleary who is swimming against the general tide on this thread - I'd hate to see him stranded like...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Yeah, but don't scoff at those who want to do it differently to you. For some (not me personally) a graduation thing is big and let them at it. If they want to spend foolish money on a meal then so what? Plough on. It's not my preferred option but there are parents, brothers and sisters who just relish this occasion for some peculiar reason.

I'm similar to John Cleary on this issue and never attended any of my graduations.

The fact that I don't hugely value rituals, is probably the main reason for not being interested in attending. Secondly, I felt there were more meaningful opportunities for glory elsewhere -if I wanted glory- than in the whole graduation thing which I found a tad shallow. Thirdly, I prefer to celebrate any achievements privately and then move on to the next project quickly without looking back at the last one. Fourthly, I was always working on my graduation day and it would have inconvenienced people if I were to take the day off. My family would be of similar mindset to myself and didn't miss the graduation days out.

After four years of study would you not like to get some recognition. I find it very strange that people would not like to make something of a graduation. You did well in university why not make a big deal about it. Missing a graduation would be unthinkable by me. I was living in the UK at the time of my grad so took 3days of work and flew home for it.

As somebody posted before a graduation is as much if not more of a reason for a celebration than a birthday, anniversary etc as it only happens once for most people.

Its a funny world at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

It takes all kinds to make a world.

I suppose myself and John Cleary might belong to one end of some spectrum or other. I'll never forget the young chap who took a full week off school in advance of his uncle's wedding which took place on the Friday (in the local church).

Then you get the Leaving Cert students who take full days off for every single Communion and Confirmation in the Extended Family Tree... I never got that one either.

• Advertisement

After four years of study would you not like to get some recognition
    Eh, when I went to college, I knew what was expected. Why should anyone make a big deal out of doing what was expected of them? If that was the way, I should be asking for a cake after every job I complete :pac:

Advertisement