Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes chicken product from China

Options
  • 19-10-2009 8:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the new line of Dunnes Stores frozen coated chicken products?
    You get 550g Dippers/Nuggets/Burgers with 49% chicken content(about average for these products) for €2
    But the labelling says the food is sourced and produced in China..

How can that be economical and surely Dunnes may want to source the product from China and process it here, thereby gaining a customer-friendly irish label?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If the label says its from China then how are they suggesting its from Ireland?

You can be assured it makes economic sense for them to get the chicken from china otherwise they wouldn't be selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

On the economical side - it costs about €3500 to bring a chilled container from China port to dublin port and you can get a hell of a lot of chicken into a container..

On the food side, I'd guess the standards of production must neet EU standards before it can be allowed in - same way as Irish beef sold to china must meet their standards.

On the business side - Dunnes "Irishness" can be brought into question as there are plenty of local suppleirs who can do this type of product.

But talking of strange places of maufacture - Catch Bars are made in Trinidad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I don't think people looking at a 50% chicken item for 2 EUR woudl really be interested in the mark up required to cover the additional cost of making them "Irish".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mcaul wrote: »
    On the business side - Dunnes "Irishness" can be brought into question as there are plenty of local suppleirs who can do this type of product.

Same as they could buy clothes and what not from Ireland or Europe but they instead import from asia cause its cheap and otherwise people won't buy them as they'd be too expensive.

Very little of Dunnes products are Irish in fairness, you'd almost find more Irish goods in Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    thereby gaining a customer-friendly irish label?
    Nody wrote: »
    I don't think people looking at a 50% chicken item for 2 EUR woudl really be interested in the mark up required to cover the additional cost of making them "Irish".
    Yes, the €2 is probably more friendly than a €3 label to most.

I could grow pineapples under HID lights in my bedroom, proper Irish pineapples but I would have to charge €20 pop for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Cabaal wrote: »
    Same as they could buy clothes and what not from Ireland or Europe but they instead import from asia cause its cheap and otherwise people won't buy them as they'd be too expensive.

Very little of Dunnes products are Irish in fairness, you'd almost find more Irish goods in Lidl
    "The difference is we're Irish" :rolleyes:

OP as said earlier - it obviously is economical or they wouldn't be doing it.

axer wrote: »
    "The difference is we're Irish" :rolleyes:

OP as said earlier - it obviously is economical or they wouldn't be doing it.

Irish owned company....doesn't mean they sell exclusively Irish goods ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

well if people want to buy processed chicken from China good luck to them, I wouldn't even buy the tasteless garlic they stock (also from China!).
    I still do most of my shopping in Dunnes as I find the general line of products I am looking for are of good quality and decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

A lot of the frozen Chicken Products sold in Dunnes/Tesco/Sainsburys are from Thailand, one of the biggest Producer of frozen chicken products in the world.

Look on the back of the pack and look for a origin stamp with the Initials TH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had a customer call the store to complain that the chicken in the chicken burgers and microwave burger she bought (well known brands) were from Thailand.

She was horrified and wanted to return them all. It plainly states it on the packaging.

OK so I don't eat meat, but would this really put people off?

I'll eat veg from all over the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Listen if our own government doest buy irish how can we expect Dunnes to buy all Irish. I was allowed access to a site for some work, whilst there I learnt that rather than use wicklow granite the government brought in Chinese granite as it was cheaper, amongst other things.

Arent Garda uniforms made abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Listen if our own government doest buy irish how can we expect Dunnes to buy all Irish. I was allowed access to a site for some work, whilst there I learnt that rather than use wicklow granite the government brought in Chinese granite as it was cheaper, amongst other things.

Arent Garda uniforms made abroad?
    or another way of looking at is ...
    If our own public don't buy Irish how can we expect Dunnes to continue to stock all Irish. Dunnes are selling Chinese chicken product because it's cheap (excuse the pun) and people are buying it in an effort to make their money go further.

Advertisement