Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review: Mixed experiences on the trans siberian

• 19-10-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hey,

Posted a few months ago looking for advice on the Trans siberian journey.

I've now just finished the Tran siberian leg of my round the world trip. If anybody is interested they can read about it on my blog

www.driftervagabond.wordpress.com

Since Im still on the road writing it up is difficult at times, so its being slowly updated.

Hope it may be of some use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭The_Daddy_H

Ive encountered a number of scams on my way too, anybody thinking of traveling to Beijing in particular should have a read about the Tea house scam in my blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Some good discussion of said scams here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055218822

Thanks for the link, yes there are many scams going in china, Ive had the misfortune of encountering the dreaded tea ceremony, Ive written about it in my blog too.

Personally I really liked China, sure you are going to be sort of harassed in big cities to buy stuff, Vietnam is ten times worse in this respect but given the discrepancy in wealth between a random westerner and a random person from this part of the world for no particularly good reason, I could never really take it that personally. If you just ignore them they are really just a minor nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I just read your blog there - it's good!

Thanks, its hard work while still on the road though I must say.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd say so.

I liked your observation about how important it is to make friends on the first night in a hostel otherwise you'll be shunned. It's very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

enjoyed reading the blog too

how did the Lonely planet thing pan out?
    didn't think your writings would fit in with their right-on manifesto somehow

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say so.

I liked your observation about how important it is to make friends on the first night in a hostel otherwise you'll be shunned. It's very true.

Yes its very true, we are a social species I suppose and we take our queues from others , nobody likes being associated with an outcast.

enjoyed reading the blog too

how did the Lonely planet thing pan out?
    didn't think your writings would fit in with their right-on manifesto somehow

Thanks for your comments.

Well I initially got an email saying my blog was to be used by LP, then shortly later another saying they had decided not to since it might lead them into "murky water" with some of the things Id said. But then it featured on their website anyway!? last i checked it was the featured blog for beijing, so dont really know.

Although I must admit I toned down a number of posts, not at the behest of the LP but rather because I felt they were either unfair or inappropriate.

• Advertisement

Can I ask, how much money did you set aside for your entire trip?

Also, how old are you?

Just curious as I might do something similar soonish.

Sure, I set aside 20K euro at a maximum but am hoping to keep it closer towards 10K, so far I think im on track for maybe 12K or so and I certainly havent been skimping on the expenses. Also Ill be spending the bulk of my time in SE asia partially because its cheap but mainly because thats where Im most interested in.

Im in my mid to late twenties and have reached something of a crossroads in my life which as afforded me this opportunity.

In terms of advice as to whether or not to do something like this all I can say is that its very much a personal thing, for me this journey has had a profound impact on me, I would safely say its probably been one of the best decision Ive ever made in my life.

Sure, I set aside 20K euro at a maximum but am hoping to keep it closer towards 10K, so far I think im on track for maybe 12K or so and I certainly havent been skimping on the expenses. Also Ill be spending the bulk of my time in SE asia partially because its cheap but mainly because thats where Im most interested in.

Im in my mid to late twenties and have reached something of a crossroads in my life which as afforded me this opportunity.

In terms of advice as to whether or not to do something like this all I can say is that its very much a personal thing, for me this journey has had a profound impact on me, I would safely say its probably been one of the best decision Ive ever made in my life.

Nice! 12k for a wonderful experience like that is excellent.

How long in total do you reckon you'll be travelling for?

Did you quit your job to do this?

Sorry for all the questions...

Well actually I think its will be quite a bit more than 12K now that I think about it, will have to give this some thought.

Ill be traveling for about 9 to 10 months in total, have done 5 at the moment, by blog is miles behind, Ill be still writing it long after I return, my intention is to write about every day of my, so far Im hold close to this aspiration.

Finishing my phd is what has given me this opportunity. The money spent is a combination of a saved scholarship and earnings from playing poker.

Advertisement