Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A decent florist in Galway

Options
  • 19-10-2009 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

You know the kind who does a good job, doesn't use half dead flowers to do it, and actually includes a decent few flowers in the bouquet, as opposed to half arsedly sticking in 5 flowers amidst a forest of greenery and charging €80 for the priviledge.

Oh, and if they were civil too that would be great.

I've tried a few at this stage and can't say I was all that impressed with them, and very UNimpressed with one in particular. It's not that I spend my life buying flowers, I don't, but on the rare occasion that I do it would be nice to know that a decent job would be done and that I would get my moneys worth, as opposed to the usual WTF!!/embarrasssment.

Recommendations anybody??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Have you tried YES Flowers on cross street?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

fend wrote: »
    Have you tried YES Flowers on cross street?
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Personally I haven't, as I've heard mixed reports about them. But they are worth a try you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

I've used College Road florists quite a bit and find them really nice. About 50 euros for a good bouquet, and they deliver.

Is that the place beyond the dog track?? I'd forgotten about there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Magnus wrote: »
    +1

lovely shop, worth a visit. some of the other stuff they sell is extortionately expensive though....but as far as floral arrangements go probably more creative than most others in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Keanes by Dunnes in Terryland

lovely shop, worth a visit. some of the other stuff they sell is extortionately expensive though....but as far as floral arrangements go probably more creative than most others in town!

Does that mean their flower arrangements are extortionately expensive too:p

I usually find that creative equals few flowers. Dammit, if I'm buying flowers I want FLOWERS!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got a solid bunch in Yes flowers for 40.

Is that the place beyond the dog track?? I'd forgotten about there!

That's the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

+1 for Yes Flowers, though they did mess up a delivery for me before. Flowers are always fab there though.

I have heard good reports about Flowers by Kay in the Eyre Sq centre, but never used them myself.

The place on Sea Road (can't remember the name of it - it's also a cafe) is good. I got a gorgeous Orchid in there before and it wasn't overly expensive (it was cheaper than Flowers by Kay for the same type of orchid). Haven't bought anything else there (except coffee) but the lady I dealt with at the florist counter there was very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

I use Heneghan's Florist on Sea Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mallett

yes flowers for that something special best in town imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goldilocks77

If you're looking for decent, you can't go wrong with Madden's of Flood Street. They're very civil - I usually tell them how much I have to spend and what I have in mind and leave it up to them, never been disappointed. YES Flowers around the corner are great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've used the guy on Eglinton Street before (forget the name), beside the church - small shop but great service and cheaper than most places in town for a really big bouquet, handmade on the spot with fresh flowers, and herself was delighted... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

YES alway have beautiful displays; I work beside them, and I've seen some fantastic creations come out their door.

Maddens are also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Try Knocknacarra Florists. We get all our flowers from them. The staff are sound out. No airs or graces and chats away while she's putting it together. We got a MASSIVE arrangement for 30e. It looked amazing. Can't beet that

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KingJo

I have always used Celebrations florist across from the UCHG-small little place with a friendly lady running it and they are reasonable also..:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's wrong with 2/3 bunches from Lidl/Aldi/Tesco and use your creative skills?

snubbleste wrote: »
    What's wrong with 2/3 bunches from Lidl/Aldi/Tesco and use your creative skills?

Nothing, but I'd wager your average flower sending male would fcuk it up royally. I certainly know that my OH would;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Nothing, but I'd wager your average flower sending male would fcuk it up royally. I certainly know that my OH would;)

It's always the thought that counts!

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's always the thought that counts!

In theory yes, in practise, with most women, no:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Anyone know a good florist in town?

I need to send flowers to someone who is a keen flowers person(for want of a better phrase) & I know nothing.

Any tips appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

IMO I wouldnt touch yes flowers with a barge pole, the owner is an arrogant prick and his manner is definately not customer orientated, he was extremely rude when asked a question over the phone and unaware to him lost alot of business from me, they are overrated and understated

In my opinion Maddens florists is who i use and am extremely happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Try Knocknacarra Florists. We get all our flowers from them. The staff are sound out. No airs or graces and chats away while she's putting it together. We got a MASSIVE arrangement for 30e. It looked amazing. Can't beet that

I agree and also recommend. Haven't been disappointed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Would stay away from Yes, rude staff member & crazy prices.Knocnacarra florists is great.(IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Flowers by Kay in the Eyre Sq shopping centre are very nice, and will work to your budget, whatever that may be!

But an absolutely fantastic new flower shop is "Go dutch" in Salthill - really unusual flowers & plants. I got cool corn cobs arrangements for Halloween, they have flesh-eating pitcher plants, birds of paradise, really exotic plants! Got a weird one for my mother in law for Christmas today as well, lovely red plant (haven't a clue what it was!) good price, and gift wrapped free. If you're walking the prom, or anywhere nearby give them a look in!

Advertisement