Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamers Unite! We're being screwed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

CKWPORT wrote: »
    True, I would say within 2 weeks though if they don't get it on release day, because some will cancel their preorders of those that signed the petition, but it will be a tiny minority, with most still getting the game at launch.
    You're completely wrong. PC Gamers WILL NOT buy this game AT ALL (not after 2 weeks, not after 2 months, never!). PC Gamers buy games to play online (properly, on dedicated servers). As far as the PC community is concerned, CoD:MW2 will only be a SP game, not an online MP game.

99% of gamers (who play online) will NOT buy this game.

neGev wrote: »
    I've heard unofficial word that IW have decided to listen to the community and at least add a server browser. Not sure about the dedicated servers yet.
    Source? Sounds like BS to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Do you have any idea how naive that statement is? 99%... are you going for hyberbole here, or do you really believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

You're completely wrong. PC Gamers WILL NOT buy this game AT ALL (not after 2 weeks, not after 2 months, never!). PC Gamers buy games to play online (properly, on dedicated servers). As far as the PC community is concerned, CoD:MW2 will only be a SP game, not an online MP game.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong.
    It would be great if ye made a difference, and in support I have signed the petition, 89490 now.

Yikes, then up to 89517, when I viewed my signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

130k signatures would represent 1% of the Call of Duty 4 community -

the petition has been acknowldeged by the community manager 402 (at least to one guy on twitter ( http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss240/mwilsonut/DMsfrom402.jpg )

But that guy is a clown - as are most of the community managers over on IW who up until yesterday were pretending the "no dedicated servers" bombshell was a lie or was a misunderstanding.

A friend of mine got an email back form IW saying (and i quote) "you shouldnt believe everything you read on the internet"

Its media blackout 101 to the point where they dont even tell their forum admins / comunity moderators / PR whats going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Steffano I hope you are right and that the petition does something to fix the issue. But you really are kidding yourself if you think that PC players won't buy this game regardless. Maybe the "elite hardcore" PC gamers won't buy it, but the rest of them will

Liamario wrote: »
    Steffano I hope you are right and that the petition does something to fix the issue. But you really are kidding yourself if you think that PC players won't buy this game regardless. Maybe the "elite hardcore" PC gamers won't buy it, but the rest of them will
    Nope. You're wrong. CoD:MW2 will be the most pirated game in the history of gaming and will sell FAR less than CoD4 did. Call of Duty is mainly a multiplayer game (unlike some people on here think...). Without beng able to play online (properly) there's no point in buying this game. Time will tell!

lol :D
    You really don't "get it" anyway... You'll see I'm right in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Nope. You're wrong. CoD:MW2 will be the most pirated game in the history of gaming and will sell FAR less than CoD4 did. Call of Duty is mainly a multiplayer game (unlike some people on here think...). Without beng able to play online (properly) there's no point in buying this game. Time will tell!

Come on now, let's look at this realistically. Are you honestly telling me that not one single copy of MW 2 for the PC will be purchased by anyone?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

give over.

it's *the* most anticipated game on consoles this year. it'll blow past cod4s sales figures.

the pc numbers won't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hercule wrote: »
    A friend of mine got an email back form IW saying (and i quote) "you shouldnt believe everything you read on the internet"

I heard it on the internet though! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Anyone else starting to think this is a marketing skam where they just want PC owners to get talking about the game and it will have dedicated server capability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Vegeta wrote: »
    Anyone else starting to think this is a marketing skam where they just want PC owners to get talking about the game and it will have dedicated server capability?

I hope that's all it is tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

kaimera wrote: »
    give over.

it's *the* most anticipated game on consoles this year. it'll blow past cod4s sales figures.

Indeed. It may be harsh, but the vast majority of players won't even know this has happened, much less care! It is the hardcore PC community who are getting screwed over, but that community is comparatively a minor (but vocal) one. 99% of PC sales lost? Yes, some PC sales will be lost, and many will use this as an excuse for piracy. But for plenty of PC gamers, and every console gamer (who are getting an online package which is more than likely the same as what they are used to), this isn't going to be significant.

Again, this is an unfair situation, but a minority of gamers are the ones losing out, which is why it is unlikely Activision cares (you can only really hope Infinity Ward do!).

Vegeta wrote: »
    I would love this to be the case!

Or even if it was a test to see if PC gamers wouldn't mind switching to the inferior console system. Based on the backlash, I guess the developers were right and the finance people wrong!

Liamario wrote: »
    Come on now, let's look at this realistically. Are you honestly telling me that not one single copy of MW 2 for the PC will be purchased by anyone?!
    Of course some people will buy it on PC! Take Ireland for example. It's not like everybody has broadband! It will sell a bit, but nowhere near what CoD4 sold.
    give over.

But we're talking about PC sales only. Are you even reading the posts before replying?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Small loss, the developer is trying to make a buck and not 'waste' dev time on supporting the PC market where they probably don't shift as many units as the console folk.

I've never bought a CoD game, never liked the feel of them.

Do you have any idea how naive that statement is? 99%... are you going for hyberbole here, or do you really believe that?
    Well, I know 18 people (very well) who play CoD2 or CoD4 online. Not a single one of them is buying CoD6. That's 100% for you right there. It might not be a huge representative sample giving you a high confidence level in the result but it speaks volumes nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Of course some people will buy it on PC! Take Ireland for example. It's not like everybody has broadband! It will sell a bit, but nowhere near what CoD4 sold.

But we're talking about PC sales only. Are you even reading the posts before replying?
    It will easily out sell COD4. The only place I've heard about this fiasco is this thread. Unless you go out searching for this info, you won't find it and it's only the hardcore fans who will be tracking the game. There's a huge amount of casual online players who won't know anything is different until they start playing. If you honestly think 1% of online PC gamers will buy it, you're kidding yourself.

• Advertisement

I am reading them and it's all waffle tbh.

I know 2 people that will buy MW2, thats 100% right there as well.

and they weren't buying it for the MP.

I am reading them and it's all waffle tbh.

I know 2 people that will buy MW2, thats 100% right there as well.

and they weren't buying it for the MP.
    On PC? Do they have broadband? Are they intelligent? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Well, I know 18 people (very well) who play CoD2 or CoD4 online. Not a single one of them is buying CoD6. That's 100% for you right there. It might not be a huge representative sample giving you a high confidence level in the result but it speaks volumes nonetheless.

That's the whole point. It speaks volumes about a small subset of the people who will buy this. We are hardcore gamers (lol, I know :o) who discuss the industry and gaming in general on the internet. We are in NO WAY representative of the game buying public as a whole. Look at all the shovelware on the Wii that sells by the bucketload. I bet 100% of your friends wouldn't buy them either.

Honestly Steffano, I fully support this cause... As I posted in another thread I think it's a joke, ffs I've played games on consoles that have dedicated server support, Left4Dead on the 360 iirc... It is certainly a step back. What I have an issue with is the idea that this decision somehow legitimises pirating the game to play the single-player component, or people saying that this will result in a huge boycott of the game. It won't. It would be nice if it did, show the world's largest publisher that their customers have power, etc. but again, a very small subset of their consumers!

99% is a little bit optimistic :pac: - PC sales figures will be down 10%-20% at best - all this will be countered by the PS3 sales which will prob cancel out any loss (and then some) + the fact they are charging whatever percent extra will mean margins are going to be fairly good regardless

having said that of the 40-or so active cod4 players in my clan so far only one of them has said they will buy the game (and they are getting it as a gift)

PC sales figures will take a noticable hit - even if it accomplishes nothing its nice to give a final "up yours" to the people that made the decision to screw over PC multiplayer gamers (who may be a minority in total multiplatform sales but make up a majority on PC)

Whats worse is over 80% of the games' buyers will be asking "what was all that dedimacated servings" fuss about anyway?, this game has snowmobile racing!!" - My clan and several others will take what will look like "the snobby high road" and take its' gamers and buying power elsewhere

On PC? Do they have broadband? Are they intelligent? :p
    Is there a reason to be a smartarse?

Not everyone thinks CoD4 is the pinnacle of online pc gaming (which it isn't)

I'm not surprised to see some of your reactions anyway... The majority of people in this country also let the "powers that be" walk all over them without moving a finger. There's no sense of community and people just say "Ah sure look it, what can you do?".

Well I'm not like that. I want to make sure every gamer knows about Activision / IW trying to shaft the very same PC gamers that made Call of Duty what it is today. I don't mind having you lot arguing my every post if I know that I got a few gamers to sign the petition and not buy the game. I did my bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Hercule wrote: »
    having said that of the 40-or so active cod4 players in my clan so far only one of them has said they will buy the game (and they are getting it as a gift)

you've told them they're kicked right?

Is there a reason to be a smartarse?

Not everyone thinks CoD4 is the pinnacle of online pc gaming (which it isn't)
    I like being smart sometimes! ;)

LOL! :D

• Advertisement

They get a severe repremand - some form of physical abuse @ LAN

@steffano = You arent preaching to the crowd man - In the grand scheme of things very few people play CoD at a level whereby something like this effects their buying decision - this willingness to "surrender" to higher powers isnt an Irish thing either ( would have thought that was more akin to the French :P ).

For the person who said this is the only place they can see this issue being discussed take a peek over to the IW forums! there is threads like these all over the web where healthy mixes of panicy, whiny nerds are clashing with the unwashed, ill-informed masses on the issue, best we can do is sign the petition then sit back and watch rome (hopefully not) burn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement