Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamers Unite! We're being screwed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

kaimera wrote: »
    Is there a reason to be a smartarse?

Not everyone thinks CoD4 is the pinnacle of online pc gaming (which it isn't)

DoD Source FTW. If there isn't a garand involved I'm just not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

That's the whole point. It speaks volumes about a small subset of the people who will buy this. [...] It won't. It would be nice if it did, show the world's largest publisher that their customers have power, etc. but again, a very small subset of their consumers!
    Hercule wrote: »
    99% is a little bit optimistic :pac: - PC sales figures will be down 10%-20% at best [...] this game has snowmobile racing!!" - My clan and several others will take what will look like "the snobby high road" and take its' gamers and buying power elsewhere
    Lads I know I'm not going to change the world by posting on boards.ie... I just can't stand idle and do nothing when I'm being screwed over by an american mutli-million corporation. I was looking forward to CoD6!

Don't get me wrong, it's just a stupid game and there are things in life that are far more important (in fact, pretty much everything else in life is more important! :D).

But I wanted to create a bit of a stir and try and get as many people to sign this ("useless" if I'm honest) petition and try and stop gamers from buying it altogether.

Like I said, if even only a few people refuse to buy it thanks to my boards.ie threads I'll be happy! ;)

I wasn't going to buy but now I will just cos you won't so there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Tell you what, all us PS3 and Xbox owners will support your cause and not buy Modern Warfare 2 if you admit that you were wrong all the time and we're cooler than you.

But seriously. What people fail to realise it that these companies don't owe you anything because you've bought their products in the past. They have staff, overheads, etc etc.

They are first and foremost businesses. And like every business on the planet they want to increase profit and turnover. It's like when you buy a car. If the salesman is any use he'll try to upsell you extra accessories etc.

All these companies are doing is upselling. And while the console users have had to put up with this for a few years now with optional (and I stress the word optional) DLC it was only a matter of time before this spread to PC users. Who bear in mind probably now represent the minority of their marketshare.

I was only joking about not buying the game. I will be buying it and I know I'll probably order the maps too. Because I want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

For the person who said this is the only place they can see this issue being discussed take a peek over to the IW forums! there is threads like these all over the web where healthy mixes of panicy, whiny nerds are clashing with the unwashed, ill-informed masses on the issue, best we can do is sign the petition then sit back and watch rome (hopefully not) burn

How many casual gamers go to the IW forums? How many go through other forums looking for info on MW2? A tiny amount. The majority will buy the game on release with no idea that any of this happened.

• Advertisement

smooch71 wrote: »
    Tell you what, all us PS3 and Xbox owners will support your cause and not buy Modern Warfare 2 if you admit that you were wrong all the time and we're cooler than you.

But seriously. What people fail to realise it that these companies don't owe you anything because you've bought their products in the past. They have staff, overheads, etc etc.

They are first and foremost businesses. And like every business on the planet they want to increase profit and turnover. It's like when you buy a car. If the salesman is any use he'll try to upsell you extra accessories etc.

All these companies are doing is upselling. And while the console users have had to put up with this for a few years now with optional (and I stress the word optional) DLC it was only a matter of time before this spread to PC users. Who bear in mind probably now represent the minority of their marketshare.

I was only joking about not buying the game. I will be buying it and I know I'll probably order the maps too. Because I want to.
    I understand the capitalist business world we live in. Sure I have to apply these rules on a daily basis in my line of work unfortunately...

So that's it then? Only money matters? Fook what people think as long as we can squeeze an extra few pennys from them? That's a sh!t world to live in...

humanji wrote: »
    How many casual gamers go to the IW forums? How many go through other forums looking for info on MW2? A tiny amount. The majority will buy the game on release with no idea that any of this happened.

:rolleyes:

Every game website, game forum, game newsletter, clan website has this info... It's all over twitter... It's all over the Activision / IW forums... It's EVERYWHERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Its no secret the vast majority of people wont understand and dismiss this as "nerd-rage". Unfortunately the same "casual gamers" that dont read web forums or game reviews (or any gaming related website - its covered on even non-gaming specific tech sites like tomshardware) are the ones who end up getting burnt the most when they purchase sub-standard games at inflated launched prices.

I, along with most gamers who keep up to date with these goings on am informed enough to make a sensible buying decision, if I can at least influence someone to take action against the developers (even that means signing a petition which may be defunct) then this isnt a waste of time.

This is about uniting a gaming community (however small) against exec or developer ignorance/arrogance - regardless of whether u still buy the game or not you can still support the petition and at least keep people informed.

:rolleyes:

Every game website, game forum, game newsletter, clan website has this info... It's all over twitter... It's all over the Activision / IW forums... It's EVERYWHERE!

How come this is the only site I've seen anything about it then? I'm active on loads of sites and unless I went searching for the info, I wouldn't find it. How many casual gamers will be trawling through the activision or IW forums? How many will be following the games progress on twitter? How many get game newsletters? How many casual gamers use clan websites? The info is not everywhere. It's hidden away where hardcore players will find it.

And your condescension is really going to win people over to your side, by the way. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Stop the trolling, bad language and "I <3 piracy" stuff. Any more of it and bans will be issued and posts deleted.

Last warning. I'll close the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Steffano, make a few signs and stand outside game shops for the next few weeks.

See if anyone notices.

Buy better games on the PC, support developers who work to bring you content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Lets assume theoretically IW give in, They decide to implement the use of dedicated servers and mod tools.

What would they have to do in order to implement this?

Its too late to modify the 1.0 version as im sure the discs are being manufactured as we speak. But is it possible to patch the game? I imagine it would require a lot of time/work and the patch would be quite large?

"casual gamers" then by your definition dont use the internet! I agree they wont see it but the information is FAR from "hidden away where hardcore gamers will find it" - the news broke 2 days ago so dont go expecting a primetime investigates special just yet :pac:

as steffano said "its everywhere"

Regardless of how visual the issue is the negative marketing thing is only goig to snowball anyway, heck, I explained to a guy in work today why I wasnt going to buy the PC version (or any version) - his response was "them bastards got greedier, huh?"
    po0k wrote: »
    Steffano, make a few signs and stand outside game shops for the next few weeks.

See if anyone notices.

Buy better games on the PC, support developers who work to bring you content.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

humanji wrote: »
    How come this is the only site I've seen anything about it then? I'm active on loads of sites and unless I went searching for the info, I wouldn't find it.
    It was on Joystiq, Kotaku and Tom's Hardware to name just three.
    Some of which are clearly known to the great unwashed from some of the comments on the articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Krieg wrote: »
    Lets assume theoretically IW give in, They decide to implement the use of dedicated servers and mod tools.

What would they have to do in order to implement this?

Its too late to modify the 1.0 version as im sure the discs are being manufactured as we speak. But is it possible to patch the game? I imagine it would require a lot of time/work and the patch would be quite large?

I'd say the facility is in there in order to make the matchmaking work (much the same as L4D) - how accessible it is to put a GUI infront of it and make it usuable is another thing...

"casual gamers" then by your definition dont use the internet! I agree they wont see it but the information is FAR from "hidden away where hardcore gamers will find it" - the news broke 2 days ago so dont go expecting a primetime investigates special just yet :pac:

as steffano said "its everywhere"

Regardless of how visual the issue is the negative marketing thing is only goig to snowball anyway, heck, I explained to a guy in work today why I wasnt going to buy the PC version (or any version) - his response was "them bastards got greedier, huh?"

/thread
    I'm sorry, but it really is hidden away. You won't find it unless you're looking for it. Gamespot, IGN, GameRankings, Eurogamer, Gamezone and G4tv have no mention of it on their front pages. Gamespy was the only site I found with an article on it's front page about it and that was near the bottom. Someone who isn't actively seeking out information on this game simply will not find this information.

If Steffano really wanted to make a difference, he'd be contacting every site he can find and asking them to make more of the issue, so that everyday web browsers will see it. And even then the two most likely outcomes are that Activision will ignore the complaints and MW3 will be console only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I understand the capitalist business world we live in. Sure I have to apply these rules on a daily basis in my line of work unfortunately...

So that's it then? Only money matters? Fook what people think as long as we can squeeze an extra few pennys from them? That's a sh!t world to live in...

I'm not saying it's right, just that it's the world we live in unfortunately.

More and more companies are starting to copy the Ryanair business model. (Which I think was a copy of an American airline) Charge more for everything

Gamespot, IGN, GameRankings, Eurogamer, Gamezone and G4tv

good point, you kinda have me there - I honestly dont visit any of those sites you mentioned for gaming related news / reviews as they are usually riddled with advertising rubbish, late information or ill-informed reviews that dont cater to me as a PC (multiplayer) gamer (IMO they cater primarily to the console gamer) or in the case of gamerankings/gamezone I hadnt heard of them - Im sure gamespot/eurogamer/g4tv will review MW2 the console versions from a console perspective and give it no-doubt glowing reviews

those sites havent covered it (yet) - they understandably do not cater to the (dieing?) minority markets in gaming - its the equivalent of having midget wrestling on the front page on espn.com

regardless those specific sites - which are usually late with their information and will prob address the situation eventually I am against you saying its "hidden" as you are implying that it has been a deliberate attempt by a small faction of PC gamers to make a mountain out of a molehill - that is not the case

good point, you kinda have me there - I honestly dont visit any of those sites you mentioned for gaming related news / reviews as they are usually riddled with advertising rubbish, late information or ill-informed reviews that dont cater to me as a PC (multiplayer) gamer (IMO they cater primarily to the console gamer) or in the case of gamerankings/gamezone I hadnt heard of them - Im sure gamespot/eurogamer/g4tv will review MW2 the console versions from a console perspective and give it no-doubt glowing reviews

those sites havent covered it (yet) - they understandably do not cater to the (dieing?) minority markets in gaming - its the equivalent of having midget wrestling on the front page on espn.com

regardless those specific sites - which are usually late with their information and will prob address the situation eventually I am against you saying its "hidden" as you are implying that it has been a deliberate attempt by a small faction of PC gamers to make a mountain out of a molehill - that is not the case

Gamespot, IGN and Eurogamer are hardly console centric. I use all three to base a decision on a pc game.

And it is a mountain out of a molehill. You've essentially got the mod of CoD kicking up a fuss cos something is happening to his superest bestest game in teh world and he doesn't like it.

The rest of the world is looking up from WoW and FIFA etc and saying "wut?"

you say that yet those three sites almost always review the xbox/ps3 version of a multiformat release only - it has happened a few times now where the foibles of a shoddy console-PC port arent mentioned in their reviews as they are playing the xbox/ps3 version of the game with a different set of expectations (Fear 2 comes to mind) - its a discussion for another day - either way they dont feature into the routine sites i visit for trustworthy PC gaming info

With regards the rest of your post, you have shown your true colours already in this thread, you either dont appreciate the issue or are trolling for a laugh - I am not even going to take the second half of your post seriously

• Advertisement

And it is a mountain out of a molehill. You've essentially got the mod of CoD kicking up a fuss cos something is happening to his superest bestest game in teh world and he doesn't like it.
    Me and another 100,000 people who signed the petition don't like it. And I'm the CoD Mod because I've been playing it sonce Day 1 and I'm (soon to be "was") a huge fan of the series.

Let me ask you this: Have you ever played a competitive game with your clan mates after spending a week preparing the maps? Have you ever looked at clan movies to see if you can pick up on good positions / strategies / trick nades to give you the edge in a competitive game? Have you ever developed friendships by joining a gaming clan and spent hours playing and having fun for hours on end?

You'll probably answer "No" to all of the above. You don't "get" what we're saying goodbye to with MW2. We were looking forward to the game, a hell of a lot more than you I'm sure! We clocked up hundreds of hours playing CoD4 (and CoD2, UO, CoD1 before that).

That's why I don't expect you to understand why we're gutted about this. That's why you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. That's why you think I'm just kicking up a fuss. And that's why I feel sorry for you, because you've never experienced gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

The rest of the world is looking up from WoW and FIFA etc and saying "wut?"

sums it up perfectly imo. i bet even the PC version will outsell MW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

"[It] definitely made a big wave, and the response will not be ignored. I'll ensure everyone at IW sees the petitions and responses to it"

But they sure as hell aren't going to do anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

"[It] definitely made a big wave, and the response will not be ignored. I'll ensure everyone at IW sees the petitions and responses to it.”

"creative strategist" made me lol.
    Im glad he responded, but I dont know what the hell it means :confused:

Im guessing "Yes I can hear you, but I dont care"

That's why you think I'm just kicking up a fuss. And that's why I feel sorry for you, because you've never experienced gaming.

:( At 28 and having played since I got a Commodore 64 I reckon I've probably played my fair share of games and possibly more than you. At the moment I'm too busy playing WoW and previously Eve and if you've ever had the time to play an MMO in between your CoD matches you'd know how different aspects get nerfed with every patch and quite often important sections that relate solely on how you play the game.

I just prefer to roll with it. Maybe cos I'm older these days I'm not as concerned about whether my hunter got shafted in latest patch etc etc.

EDIT: Actually I won a GAMECON lan once based on my pwning of the competition in CoD :) Sigh..... Happy days (this was when gamecon was small admitedly)

or maybe its

"hi im 402 its my job to smile and nod while my colleagues have their way with your pockets"

Well those were just some of the sites I found when I did a token search in google. They're by no means the greatest sites in the world, but they'd generally be the ones that most people would come across first. The likes of Joystiq and Kotaku don't come up when you do a standard search for game sites as they don't have "game" in their titles. Hell, I never heard of them until I saw someone mention them on here a while back.

And I suppose "hidden" was a bad word to use as it implies intent. But as an example, on Gamespot there, you'll only find out about it if you go the game page and then to the forums. The info is there, but there's little attention drawn to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's not visible because only a relatively tiny minority of gamers - largely PC CoD gamers - give a toss.

No-one else cares.

Canis, bang on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,774 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's why I don't expect you to understand why we're gutted about this. That's why you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. That's why you think I'm just kicking up a fuss. And that's why I feel sorry for you, because you've never experienced gaming.

Thats a hell of a statement. What gaming means to you and what it might mean to others may be completely different. Not everyone, PC gamers or otherwise, want to spend weeks preparing maps, scouting for good positions etc.

I understand what you're saying about dedicated servers and the like, but does this really ruin the ENTIRE game for you? I mean, you can still play the multiplayer. It may not be to your exact preferences, but it'll still be playable. And it'll probably still be enjoyable. And who knows, all the stuff thats missing may be added in afterwards anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement