If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire Direct and Richer Sounds

Options
  • 19-10-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi there, on the mails from Richer Sounds they have offers from Empire Direct, one of those is a Digital Photo frame, is it possible to get one or two of these through yourselves or do you have similar on offer......

Also what is the best deal for a Freesat PVR, please.

Thanks

Owen

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Stillnot,

Thanks for the email and we have had a few enquiries about Empire Direct - EmpireDirect.co.uk has been bought by our Colleagues in Richer Sounds PLC in the UK however it is run on a completely separate basis from Richer Sounds ( the RS guys won't allow washing machines into the their building :D)

I have spoken to the guy who is running Empire on your behalf this morning and they are currently working on their policy for deliveries into Ireland and I'll keep you posted as soon as I hear back.

By the way - if any Boardies have purchased goods from the old Empire website and have any issues or problems with them they can always contact us and we will do our best to look after them.

Thanks again and keep you posted,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Thanks for that John, so could I order the photo frames via the site somehow without a UK address. (I could even collect from the Belfast store)

Also what is the best price for a Freesat HD PVR at the moment.

Thanks

Owen

Thanks for that John, so could I order the photo frames via the site somehow without a UK address. (I could even collect from the Belfast store)

Also what is the best price for a Freesat HD PVR at the moment.

Thanks

Owen

Owen,

at the moment you will need a UK address to order from Empire - the guys are working on a way to allow them to deliver on a cost effective basis to Ireland and I would expect them to come back to me with their thoughts over the next day or so.

On the freesat PVR - the Humax Foxsat PVR is still the best option and at £244.95 / €271.99 is great value and a huge seller for us.

Keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi John,

I have basic NTL subscription in Dublin and would like a better selection of channels but can't afford to lash out the €100 a month NTL will charge for movies, sport etc. I know Freesat won't give me the premium SKY channels but it sounds like the HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR freesat+ box with 320GB Hard Drive PVR will give me a much better selection of channels overall.

As a complete newbie please allow me to ask a few basic questions:-

1. Is there a list somewhere of the Freesat channels I can receive in Dublin?
    2. Does Freesat require the installation of a Satelite Dish to receive?
    3. How would Freesat work with a multi room setup? I have 4 rooms with TV's. Can one Freesat box serve them all somehow and if so can each TV be watching a different channel at the same time?
    4. Is the Freesat box an easy plug and play type setup or would I need to pay an installer to set it up? I guess if it needs a satelite I will.

Really appreciate any info you can give me which will help me get a better idea of what Freesat can do for me, what the HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR can do for me and how I can get rid of NTL ASAP!!

Regards,

Ben

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

1. www.freesat.co.uk (click Channels at top of page)
    2. Yes
    3. You'd need to buy a seperate Freesat/FTA box for each extra room (doesn't necessarily need to be a HDR)
    4. Yes, it's easy to setup. When it asks for a postcode, stick in a UK one. eg. if you like BBC NI and UTV, use BT1 1AA as a postcode).

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Byte. Sounds good and not too difficult to install.

One other question. I know RTE, TV3 etc aren't available on Freesat. If I ditch NTL as planned can I somehow use the satelite needed for Freesat to pick up RTE and the other domestic channels? I couldn't do without a good dose of RTE from time to time.

Ben

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Byte. Sounds good and not too difficult to install.

One other question. I know RTE, TV3 etc aren't available on Freesat. If I ditch NTL as planned can I somehow use the satelite needed for Freesat to pick up RTE and the other domestic channels? I couldn't do without a good dose of RTE from time to time.

Ben
    The only way you'll pick up RTÉ/TV3/TG4 via satellite is through a Sky subscription. Otherwise, you'd need an aerial fitted to pick them up from local transmitter.

Thanks Byte. The lack of local channels is a pain and means I'd probably have to keep my NTL subscription.

Is there not a plan to phase out terrestrial broacasting (analogue via old fashioned ariels?) in favour of digital free to air for RTE, TV3 etc. Is that due to happen any time soon and if so are the local channels going to join up with Freesat or are they determined to spend a fortune trying to do their own thing?

Ben

Thanks Byte. The lack of local channels is a pain and means I'd probably have to keep my NTL subscription.

Is there not a plan to phase out terrestrial broacasting (analogue via old fashioned ariels?) in favour of digital free to ai r for RTE, TV3 etc. Is that due to happen any time soon and if so are the local channels going to join up with Freesat or are they determined to spend a fortune trying to do their own thing?

Ben

Ben,

yes - the RTE's are going Digital - there are engineering trials underway at the moment http://mpeg4ireland.com/map.php have a look here and over at the definitive Boards thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055350262 - I don't think (at least I have no info) that ROI channels are joing Freesat (com'on - that would be sensible!)

This means that the LF7700's will at some future stage be able to receive the local ROI stations via it's inbuilt MPEG4 tuner - meaning that you can give NTL the old heave ho in the future if you so wish!

Keep us posted and again apologies for the delay in the reply.

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Hi John,

I have basic NTL subscription in Dublin and would like a better selection of channels but can't afford to lash out the €100 a month NTL will charge for movies, sport etc. I know Freesat won't give me the premium SKY channels but it sounds like the HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR freesat+ box with 320GB Hard Drive PVR will give me a much better selection of channels overall.

As a complete newbie please allow me to ask a few basic questions:-

1. Is there a list somewhere of the Freesat channels I can receive in Dublin?
    2. Does Freesat require the installation of a Satellite Dish to receive?
    3. How would Freesat work with a multi room setup? I have 4 rooms with TV's. Can one Freesat box serve them all somehow and if so can each TV be watching a different channel at the same time?
    4. Is the Freesat box an easy plug and play type setup or would I need to pay an installer to set it up? I guess if it needs a satelite I will.

2) Lidl have satellite dishes on offer from time to time for ~ €80, if you can fit it yourself saves a lot of expense, this is where I would start, comes with a receiver (not HD, but fin for one of your Tv's). Best to go for the 80 cm dish if reception is lightly to be poor. The kit comes with a dual LNB, which will allow you to connect up two separate relievers and have them switch independently.
    2a) Other alternative would be to go for a sky package for the minimum contract period, 1) you will get the dish installed, 2) once the contract period is up you own the equipment.

3) Next thing you need to worry about is connecting 4 receivers, this can be done by using a quad LNB, this will require 4 separate cables from the dish(connected to 4 connections on lnb) to the house, and into the separate rooms. You can make do with the dual lnb and loop the signal from one receiver to the next, however the channels you will be able to receive may be restricted. Some receivers have dual tuners, this is to allow you to view on station while recording another, so potentially you may need an octo-lnb if you wanted to connect up all dual receivers.

4) Freesat box should be easy to setup, similar to tuning a tv, setting up dish too can be relatively straight forward, if you feel competent.

There is plenty of advice on all these :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=622
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Also another point worth considering is that some of the Panasonic tv, and other brands come with inbuilt freesat tuners. Save on the box count, and you just plug in the satellite cable the same as you would a Tv aerial.

When spending over €100 on a receiver, or for that matter buying a tv, considering getting models that have MPEG4 terrestrial tuners so you can receive the RTE digital signals. If your living in the right area you can receive the RTE digital signal at the moment, however since it is not officially launched they can turn it off at any stage.

The guys here will advise.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=6&sub=43&productid=791

• Advertisement

Hi Logger, thanks a mil for the detailed info. Boards people are amazing!!

I'm going to read up and make an informed decision as to whether I should go for a nice hi spec multi room Freesat type system with HD capability an MPEG4 terrestrial tuner so I can receive the RTE digital signals or swallow hard and go for the full Sky+ HD package including sports and movies. The big benefit of the Freesat type system seems to be that there is a one off payment (+/- €700 fitted including a HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR freesat+ box with 320GB Hard Drive PVR??) but no monthly charges thereafter whereas with Sky it's the opposite i.e. a low initial charge but you pay through the nose (+/- €100 per month) forever.

If only there was some way to get the Sky sports and movie packages via a freesat setup I'd be in business but if that was possible I guess Sky wouldn't be in business for too long!!

Decisions decisions.

Hi Logger, thanks a mil for the detailed info. Boards people are amazing!!

I'm going to read up and make an informed decision as to whether I should go for a nice hi spec multi room Freesat type system with HD capability an MPEG4 terrestrial tuner so I can receive the RTE digital signals or swallow hard and go for the full Sky+ HD package including sports and movies. The big benefit of the Freesat type system seems to be that there is a one off payment (+/- €700 fitted including a HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR freesat+ box with 320GB Hard Drive PVR??) but no monthly charges thereafter whereas with Sky it's the opposite i.e. a low initial charge but you pay through the nose (+/- €100 per month) forever.

If only there was some way to get the Sky sports and movie packages via a freesat setup I'd be in business but if that was possible I guess Sky wouldn't be in business for too long!!

Decisions decisions.

Ben,

It should not cost you anything like €700 to get a full freesat set up inc dish!

As the op said you can often source the dish really inexpensively and you could pop it up yourself - but even if you are going to get a satellite installer to do it for you (and there are a few on Boards - I can recommend them if required) subject to the complexity of the install it should not amount to more than €150 for the dish install with a decent dish and a quad LNB) so you should be able to escape with a total more like €400 - 450 max including the Humax 320GB recorder!

Thanks to Logger & Byte for the assistance - always appreciated :D

ATB,

John Mc

Thanks John Mc.

Would appreciate it if you would PM me a recommendation for a quality installer who could put up the dish, run cables to 4 tv's and set the boxes up. I'm based in south Dublin and want someone who's going to do a quality and tidy job, not someone who's "the cheapest" and has to get in and out as quickly as possible for his pricing to be viable. I renovated my house in 2007 (right at the top of the market :-( ) and want someone who knows what they are doing and won't wreck the place!!

Also, can you give me a price for the HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR freesat+ box with 320GB Hard Drive PVR, an 80cm dish with quad LNB and whatever boxes I'd need for the other 3 TV's to get the freesat stations? If you guys don't do dish's then perhaps you can recommend where I should get one?

Cheers.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Thanks John Mc.

Would appreciate it if you would PM me a recommendation for a quality installer who could put up the dish, run cables to 4 tv's and set the boxes up. I'm based in south Dublin and want someone who's going to do a quality and tidy job, not someone who's "the cheapest" and has to get in and out as quickly as possible for his pricing to be viable. I renovated my house in 2007 (right at the top of the market :-( ) and want someone who knows what they are doing and won't wreck the place!!

Also, can you give me a price for the HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR freesat+ box with 320GB Hard Drive PVR, an 80cm dish with quad LNB and whatever boxes I'd need for the other 3 TV's to get the freesat stations? If you guys don't do dish's then perhaps you can recommend where I should get one?

Cheers.

Ben

Hope you realize that in order to get benefit of the PVR, you will need to run two feeds to it directly. That leaves you with two feeds left from the Quad LNB to share with other 3 devices, you can opt to share one feed between two receivers with the loop through. This means that there would be a potential conflict if the main receiver was switch channels, it could upset what the second one will receive. Anyhow a good installer should be able to advise you.

If you do not have an external aerial, maybe a good time to see about having one installed to receive the new MPEG4 signal, excellent picture quality by the way.

Does the HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR freesat+ receive the terrestrial signals? I didn't see any mention of it being able to do so. If so that means that you will have to forgo recording of any rte digital transmissions on your PVR unless you buy another box. Only mention this point as you mentioned that RTE viewing was required, and I assume you would want good picture (if available) not fuzzy signal on main tv.
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_satellite_foxsathdr.aspx

Anyhow, again John and the boys should be able to give you plenty of advice, and if you bought your tv in last few years maybe you already have a tv capable of receiving the MPEG4 RTE signals.

Thanks John Mc.

Cheers.

Ben

Ben,

PM sent,

Thanks and drop me a line if I can help!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LoveHiFi

Wondering if any more news on the original question re empire direct , like the look of the wine coolers and nearly €100 cheaper then hardly Normal !!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.