Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Delamere's TV Burp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

A bunch of my student pals (always up for a laff and a drink... or ten! LOL!!)

David Brent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I really don't know why we can't produce a good politics or media satire show in Ireland, along the lines of Newswipe / Screenwipe. .

Costs a fortune in rte terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

(*"Colm and Jim Jim's home run" is, of course, the worst thing Rté have ever produced.)
    Upwardly Mobile was up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

the neil delamere thing wasn't funny... and is produced by one of the guys who produces the tubridy show... and podge and rodge.... 'nuff said :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shiv_182

To be honest, I didn't think it was all that bad. It was rubbish in parts yeah, but some other parts were actually really good. The X-Factor bit should've been left out though...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

elshambo wrote: »
    Costs a fortune in rte terms

I understand what you're saying but I still believe it's a legitimate aspiration. Charlie Brooker's shows are mainly based aound a fantastic script and with the right talent involved RTE could put on a really funny show without a huge budget, especially in the arena of media satire where a lot of the show is clips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

cashback wrote: »
    David Brent?

The Office has already bin done.I dont want too see irish copycat versions of British proggys. :(

Mebbe they cud make Navan Man (irish creation threough and threough) into a 22 epiosode program and sell it too Fox/HBO/NRA in da USA and get a wide appeal? Think BIG, rte, think BIG!

Too many small minded pinheads without vision, thats wat i say enywayz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

I dont want too see irish copycat versions of British proggys. :(

yet yer on here defending a direct cog of Harry Hill's TV burp!!! :p

artyeva wrote: »
    yet yer on here defending a direct cog of Harry Hill's TV burp!!! :p

COME ON. Theres a;lways an expection to the rule !!!!!! :rolleyes:

so their

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Neil Delamere is a false Prophet. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Office has already bin done.I dont want too see irish copycat versions of British proggys. :(

Mebbe they cud make Navan Man (irish creation threough and threough) into a 22 epiosode program and sell it too Fox/HBO/NRA in da USA and get a wide appeal? Think BIG, rte, think BIG!

Too many small minded pinheads without vision, thats wat i say enywayz.

What language is that?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    What language is that?

English.Its not TG4 u dont ned subtittling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

English.Its not TG4 u dont ned subtittling.

I think I might.

mikom wrote: »
    Neil Delamere is a false Prophet. ;)

This accusaton has come up before and let me say again dat Im not Neil Im just a BIG fan I have him all over my walls back home.

I dowt Im alone in being a fan of Mr Delamere cuz hes class! :):):) :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just poped in here to say this wuz very gud!! :):D:)
    Sorry, your opinion has just been rendered void. The Prophet, please stop trolling.

What a terrible programme. A terrible RTÉ programme taking clips from other terrible RTÉ programmes... I guess they never heard that two wrongs don't make a right in Montrose.

• Advertisement

Prophet/Delamare, have you had a stroke recently?
    Your posting style has really gone downhill
    I just hope that whichever Nolan is appearing (most likely Colleen), that she gives us a few bars AFTER the evolution propaganda meister is on, in order to CHEER US UP.

I really think music went to pot after the Nolans fell off the hit parade. A right shame, as 'Dragonfly' was a lovely 7" with quite a progressive use of synths. They were overlooked innovators really.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62152964&postcount=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

It's this kind of casual apathetic (not to mention point-missing) attitude to the so-called 'small' nods to religious privilege in this country that helps the continued coddling of religion as a larger whole.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62204308&postcount=241

I'm suspecting schizophrenia or a severe bang on the head. Or a poor trolling attempt.

Ahem! I seem to have recovered my senses, and the ability to write without txt-like mistakes. Amazing. :)

Oh, and on second thoughts, this Republic Of Telly comedy show was a disappointment, but there's unfortunate little surprise in that.

Welcome back Stewie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Ahem! I seem to have recovered my senses, and the ability to write without txt-like mistakes. Amazing. :)

Yeah. Life's generally funny like that.
    Oh, and on second thoughts, this Republic Of Telly comedy show was a disappointment.

Yeah. Rté's generally not funny like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

scooby-doo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm confused. :confused: What just happened with the prophet? Did this thread get transported to the cuckoos nest temporarily?

Anyway, back on topic. Rte are more miss than hit with their comedy IMO. They have put out some great stuff. Blizzard of odd, Panel with Daire O Briain, Langerland TV and I thought Soupy Norman was classic.

Neil would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

basquille wrote: »
    I'm about 10 minutes through and to be honest, it's not hilarious.. but c'mon, it's a far cry from Jason Byrne's and Maeve Higgin's "efforts".

It's quite hard to be as bad as Byrne and Higgins. But I grew tired of Delamere on the panel, tbh.

Bring back The Blizzard Of Odd!!!

Sorry, your opinion has just been rendered void. The Prophet, please stop trolling.
    Or a poor trolling attempt.
    Just for the record, let me knock this notion on its head once again (before letting the thread back to an antic-free state, in both senses). I was not trolling. <nixon voice>"I am not a troll."</nixon voice> I was making fun; spoofing; joking. Without malicious intention. And it seemed to work (not to mention bear discussional fruit) - some got a chuckle out of the typical idiotic sycophantic telly fan I was playing.

Surely there is room for such lighthearted hoodwinking japes on this site without the 'trolling card' being played in haste. Particularly ones like this that don't capriciously stray too far from the topic at hand. In a thread on a comedy subject. Especially given the big hint of seeing who started the 'Neil Delamere's TV Burp' thread, and seeing how his posting style changed significantly from the first page to the third, and the huge inconsistencies between his foreign/homegrown programme positions (even reflected in the thread title). :)

/salutes those who saw through the bamboozlement
    /nods cap to those who used the post history search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What complete and utter tripe... I knew it was literally going to be a rip-off of Harry Hill's TV Burp, but HHTVB is a tried and tested format that works... trust RTÉ to make a balls of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Just for the record, let me knock this notion on its head once again (before letting the thread back to an antic-free state, in both senses). I was not trolling. <nixon voice>"I am not a troll."</nixon voice> I was making fun; spoofing; joking. Without malicious intention. And it seemed to work (not to mention bear discussional fruit) - some got a chuckle out of the typical idiotic sycophantic telly fan I was playing.

Surely there is room for such lighthearted hoodwinking japes on this site without the 'trolling card' being played in haste. Particularly ones like this that don't capriciously stray too far from the topic at hand. In a thread on a comedy subject. Especially given the big hint of seeing who started the 'Neil Delamere's TV Burp' thread, and seeing how his posting style changed significantly from the first page to the third, and the huge inconsistencies between his foreign/homegrown programme positions (even reflected in the thread title). :)

/salutes those who saw through the bamboozlement
    /nods cap to those who used the post history search

You had me going but I knew I recognised the username for some reason. I think it was your Late Late Dawkins kerfuffle, which I did see through on that occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

A very poor man's Blizzard of Odd. (as another poster mentioned) All the "laughter" sounded canned, the complete silence when yer wan was being interviewed by Delamere and lack of shots containing both Delamere and the audience was very dubious. The jokes were non-existant and it was painful to watch. It wasn't as facepalm-friendly as Byrne's abomination of a show, I will give it that. But, why do RTE bother with all this crap, when they already broadcast the best Irish comedy 4 times a week.....Fair City. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Harry Hill should issue a cease and desist order immediately. Very poor effort, there were some amusing moments but they were to do with the programs themselves, not Delamare. The bits in between clips were just painful, the X-Factor skit was awful and the bit with the girl getting people to pretend they're jazz musicians was done ad nausea. Even the bit were he pretended to be taking calls from Eastender characters was done Saturday by Hill, and done funnily at that.

Maybe the show can be rescued if there was less focus on his bits and more so on the clips. And what's the need with the bad language, I'm no shrinking violet but if TV Burp can be shown on Saturday evening, be family friendly and still be funny, I don't see the need to fall back into ****ing and all that, maybe that's the true comparison between someone that is genuinely funny and someone who takes the standard Irish 'comedian' approach of cursing and trying to be shocking ?

RVD420 wrote: »
    ]All the "laughter" sounded canned, the complete silence when yer wan was being interviewed by Delamere and lack of shots containing both Delamere and the audience was very dubious. The jokes were non-existant and it was painful to watch.]

I don't know if all the laughter was canned, but there certainly seemed to be plenty of muted points throughout the programme.

Also, I don't know if RTE ply certain studio audiences full of booze before these 'comedy' programmes, but there was definitely a youthful slant to their appearance. Free tickets and the promise of 'tv zaniness' must be hard to resist for a certain type of student demographic. Just look at the kind of audiences that attended previous 'wacky' RTE efforts, like the Podge&R Show and TBUlt.

As for the jokes, it's hyperbole to say that they were non-existant, though certainly the vast majority were mild or weak efforts. I doubt that regional hospitals on Monday night were inundated with cases of split sides.

All in all, The Republic Of Telly seems to be another case of RTE comedy's unoriginality and blandness, with a token amount of cursing as a proxy for having a decent punchline.

(And on a rather trivial fussy note, the continuity of the condition of Delamere's desk surface could've been better too! But that's hardly a programme-killing point, though.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

(And on a rather trivial fussy note, the continuity of the condition of Delamere's desk surface could've been better too! But that's hardly a programme-killing point, though.)

In particular the bit where the second phone "magically appeared out of no where". It was there when he received the first call - in a more prominent
    position than the one ringing.

Could anyone involved in the show actually think it was good?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Yillan wrote: »
    Poor so far and I don't think he's going to improve with time.

Where do we reckon the studio audience are from? Definitely a crowd of poxy students. UCD my guess.

Tame

Less of the poxy!! There were four of us from NUIM and we really enjoyed the show the time... But watching it on telly I have to admit it was completely sh*te. All of the laughs were blocked out and that stupid gag reel piece was added in... When I look back on it, the only bits we were actually laughing at were the clips from other shows, not his delivery. The warm-up comedian was so much better.. It was so obvious Delamare was reading the cues off of the camera for the entire show!

U let me down man...

This was poor, sounded like they were using canned laughter for a lot of the clips. I'll give it another week to see how it goes.

It's so sickening, they actually did use fake laughter... probably because there were a pile of thick w*nkers studying drama in trinity sitting behind us... Everyone else was like "SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!"

everytime there was a break they started trying to make jokes to him and he was just insulting them....

They made me so glad i turned down two of trinity's courses in drama and chose NUIM instead... I couldn't bear studying with them

I don't know if all the laughter was canned, but there certainly seemed to be plenty of muted points throughout the programme.

It was all canned... We were actually a way more appreciative audience until they had to keep redoing messed up scenes... It stopped being funny after the 7th time....

Also, I don't know if RTE ply certain studio audiences full of booze before these 'comedy' programmes, but there was definitely a youthful slant to their appearance. Free tickets and the promise of 'tv zaniness' must be hard to resist for a certain type of student demographic. Just look at the kind of audiences that attended previous 'wacky' RTE efforts, like the Podge&R Show and TBUlt.

Unfortunately there wasn't a lot of free booze..... There was wine but they threw you a dirty look if you went for a second glass... So I stuck to the sparkling water... It was a really young audience, mostly because people studying certain degrees (eg I'm doing Media in NUIM) get emails offering them free tickets, just to try and fill up the place. (FYI I was the girl in the front with the short black hair and the green dress... Just thought I'd point out I was on telly so you'll recognise me when I become a presenter for some news station outside this poxy country..... Sky News perhaps...)

It really was pathetic, like you could see he was holding stuff under the table... Way too predictable...

I think you might be protesting too much, princess calico.

It was so obvious Delamare was reading the cues off of the camera for the entire show!

Standard!
    They all do that (even the almighty Dara:rolleyes: on Muck the week)

I fear for your news reading career if you think your supposed to learn it all off before you go on:rolleyes:

elshambo wrote: »
    I fear for your news reading career if you think your supposed to learn it all off before you go on:rolleyes:

There's a difference between reading something off the autocue and appearing natural, and reading it off the autocue and making it look obvious.

Jip wrote: »
    There's a difference between reading something off the autocue and appearing natural, and reading it off the autocue and making it look obvious.

Ya and there is a difference between having something to say and saying it
    & having nothing to say but saying it anyway

I said in a previous post his delivery was slow, which means he cannot read of an autocue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

His delivery was brutal. Tried to copy Harry Hill's TV Burps but failed miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Tuned in just as the bit with the Aussie at the horse fair was starting.Who is this unfunny gobsh!te?"Make a noise like a horse".Fcuk off !

darkdubh wrote: »
    Tuned in just as the bit with the Aussie at the horse fair was starting.Who is this unfunny gobsh!te?"Make a noise like a horse".Fcuk off !

True, the potential for fun there was palpable.
    But they managed to make a hames of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Unfortunately there wasn't a lot of free booze..... There was wine but they threw you a dirty look if you went for a second glass... So I stuck to the sparkling water...

You're a student and you walked away from free booze because of some dirty looks?

Shame on you Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

i went to the recording for the first show there on Sunday night, Neil Delamare is funny but the show i thought wasn't the best... I mean inbetween takes when he was talking to the audience he was funny but i just think it's the type of show i don't particularly like it's him talking to the camera with no interaction at all. but given the type of show it is yea i think he did a good job bless him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was offered free tickets to this through my degree as well but I turned it down because I have teste, dignity and self-respect. It was dreadful! I knew it would be bad but it was absolutely pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

phasers wrote: »
    I was offered free tickets to this through my degree as well but I turned it down because I have teste, dignity and self-respect. It was dreadful! I knew it would be bad but it was absolutely pathetic

ultimate knob right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

First and final warning sharms!

Another comment like that and you're outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What's next? Des Bishop's Screenwipe?

Surely The Blizzard of Odd is Screenwipe???

I didn't catch it and haven't read through the 7 pages of this thread I am guessing I shouldn't bother.

Unfortunately I just remembered the part with the cook where he tried to infer some sort of sexual innuendo, how cringey was that.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You're a student and you walked away from free booze because of some dirty looks?

Shame on you Sir.

the sparkling water was good though *cowers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Watched a bit of it last night.
    It was pretty crap, to be honest. Not well made, not particularly funny and it basically seemed like a knock-off of countless other similar programmes I've seen.

The X Factor audition piece was well edited though. I'll say that much. His piece in it was rubbish, but the judges' comments were nicely edited together in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement