Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Delamere's TV Burp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Watched a bit of it last night.
    It was pretty crap, to be honest.

Yep, it was shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its a pity shows like this seem to destroy fairly good comics....i like Delamare...and indeed Harry Hill...but its like their hands are tied when it comes to the content...or am i missing something..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Watched it on the player.

Some funny bits, some very cringeworthy bits. Certainly has potential if a little work was put in. Use of the props is very amateurish (making the "tuna bap", throwing the rock etc etc) and should be abandoned immediately. Delamere needs more experience at the show, he was okay but really needed to be slicker with delivery and more confident with presentation. Material needs to be more than just taking dialogue from soaps out of context. Maybe they should expand it to cover the newspaper and radio as well.

It's the best of RTE's comedy offering this year, not that that is any achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

This show could be funny if they got rid of Neil Delamere. His delivery was so awkward I couldn't watch more than ten minutes. I don't know why, but RTE shows are always unprofessional and stilted. They never seem to be able to make a show where the presenter can act natural. The way they started the show was terrible and the camera work seemed like it was done by someone doing a video for a transition year project.

The clips were funny enough, but then, it's not difficult to find stupid and funny clips in RTE shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Only watched a few minutes but thought the Hurricane Katrina reference was completely uncalled for, especially seeing as the skit wasn't in the least bit humourous.

K4t wrote: »
    Only watched a few minutes but thought the Hurricane Katrina reference was completely uncalled for, especially seeing as the skit wasn't in the least bit humourous.

yeah, that was a real low point alright. A real poor sketch in real poor taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I watched it this morning and I am sorry I did. It all felt too forced and too scripted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just watched it there, the only good thing about it was the fact that it was in a TV Studio with a proper set. I kind of fast forwarded much of the show so I didn't get to see much of the bad camera work I did notice at one stairs it was at the top of the stage try to do something different, why did they place a camera there?

For 26mins of pretty much Neil Delemare it became pretty dull very quickly.

There are obvious differences with The Blizzard Of Odd (since that took the piss out of almost every type of media) and it wasn't Screenwipe. If it had got rid of some of the hopeless double entredras it might have suited 6:30 on RTÉ One and been a TV Burp knock of which it is.

I say their might be hope for this only really knowing that in reality it will probably get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Yeah so much awkwardness and jerky, dead delivery of poor jokes. And what's with the props? So unfunny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

It was okay. Not great but better than the other crap RTE have been showing.

• Advertisement

Dean820 wrote: »
    It was okay. Not great but better than the other crap RTE have been showing.

Not really hard TBH even R&P are better then some of the new shows commissioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You're a student and you walked away from free booze because of some dirty looks?

Shame on you Sir.

Yes Shame on you Sir Princess Calico...

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mknotaro

Caught the repeat of this last night. Actually I lie, I recorded it and watched it this morning.

Some good ideas hung around a shambles of a programme.

@ Elmo "the only good thing about it was the fact that it was in a TV Studio with a proper set" - that's worrying if that's the only good thing about it. Although I'll add "the only good thing about it was the fact that it was in a TV Studio with a proper set and he was lit well - like you could see his face". :D

Harry Hill does Burp very well and all this feels like is a knock-off of it. A poor knock-off.

Clip shows with comment aren't anything new, but present it in a new package, don't rob ITV's Sunday tea-time version and put it on screen and try and make it feel like it's the second coming of telly. The ads were all over the place, and the new one is diabolical - seriously there's better quality stuff on the YouTube produced for nothing.

This almost makes me want to utter the phrase containing the words "am, TV, what, for, licence, I, paying."

Plus if Delamare wasn't worthy enough to host The Panel - propped up by four other people, how the f**k did RTE think he'd be able to hold our attention for half an hour on his own delivering a, what might underneath it all be an okay Harry Hill knock off, script in a really bland way.

mknotaro wrote: »
    Although I'll add "the only good thing about it was the fact that it was in a TV Studio with a proper set and he was lit well - like you could see his face". :D

Well I just guessed that people would understand what I mean when I say proper set (with lighting and all of that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

I think this was better than the reports suggest. It was a nervy beginning, sure, but presumably the host will get more relaxed as it goes on.

Shortage of material is a definite problem. The vox pop about the Jazz Festival was blatant space-filling: one not particularly funny idea stretched long past endurance.

But Delamere is a funny guy. I laughed aloud several times. The Fair City gags were good, and the more they focus on home-grown stuff the funnier it will be.

There is one potential problem. If you check the credits, there is only one writer on the show. I presume Delamere provides some of the jokes, but this is desperately understaffed for a quick-fire half-hour weekly show. If the first episode was a little shaky, they will certainly be burned out by the end of the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wyndman

If you check the credits, there is only one writer on the show. I presume Delamere provides some of the jokes, but this is desperately understaffed for a quick-fire half-hour weekly show.

This is the main reason RTE know nothing about making television.

They don't understand that TV shows, especially comedy shows, need to be written in advance. By writers, not one of the runners, not some staffer from current affairs who makes smug comments in the canteen about TV3 (that Nightlive disgrace) and not two minutes before the record by the presenter.

Even if Delamere was as good as a Harry Hill or a Jon Stewart, he'd still need a few others to bounce ideas off and compete to make the jokes better. All those shows have large teams of professional writers,who have honed their craft for years.

RTE don't gave a ****e about writing,they just think that if their sad little rip-off looks enough like a successful format (and has a different name so they don't have to pay for the format) it'll somehow be as good.

Every anonymous dick you see on internet forums knows you need writers, why can't the highly-paid, dubiously appointed, commissioners in RTE figure it out. Jesus christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

the Jazz Festival was blatant space-filling: one not particularly funny idea stretched long past endurance.
    i'll gladly endure anything featuring the roide that is Jennifer Maguire. No matter how long it is :)

Totally agree writers are required and the most important part of TV writing, I am surprise we have to stated that writing requires writers.
    RTE don't gave a ****e about writing,they just think that if their sad little rip-off looks enough like a successful format (and has a different name so they don't have to pay for the format) it'll somehow be as good.

Colin Murphy should sue Charlie Brooker and the BBC so! :D

TBH I don't see why you would by format rights since in reality you are just paying for the name. X-factor isn't even a good name for a show!

Do we know for sure that RTE stole the format? Are they not paying whoever came up with TV Burp? It's fairly common for formats to be bought and sold like this. (Apparently The Lyrics Board has sold to every territory on and off the planet. There's a comfortable thought for all respecters of humanity.)

The case with ROT (their acronym, not mine) is very clear. If they're not paying for it, as I've assumed they were, this show is plagiarised.

On another note, Patrick Freyne absolutely slaughters it in the Tribune today. It's not online yet, but it's worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wyndman

I don't really mind if a new show takes ideas from an established one. The Daily Show was not a new idea, all the American chat shows are variants of the The Tonight Show from the fifties. Nothing good is 100% original.

But since RTE, having no balls or talent, are only ever going to make rip-offs, they should at least come round to the idea that all good comedy begins with writers - not the advertising sales department, or marketing, or the fact they paid all this money to keep Lucy Kennedy on staff and they need "a format" that'll disguise how talentless she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

I'm surprised at all the negative comments on here about the show.I thought it was actually quite good.Yes it's a copy of TV Burp but who cares?

Pity he doesnt have any honest friends. Cos he needs to spend the week on the webcam practicing his own performance.

jonas7 wrote: »
    Yes it's a copy of TV Burp but who cares?
    As others have mentioned, being a rip-off format isn't necessarily a crime in and of itself, if the resultant programme is of an excellent standard.

But when viewers opine that the copycat is lacklustre on its own terms ("comedy proggy not make me go ha ha much"), and when it fits into a long-standing pattern of this state's television broadcaster badly aping the efforts of a neighbouring nation, then points about the endemic regurgitation of inferior facsimiles/lack of format innovation/dearth of comedy writing talent/paucity of entertainment commissioning and editoral quality control are valid to bring up. Again.

I want Irish comedy programmes to be hilarious, intelligent, well written, well performed and all the other positive adjectives. I want them to succeed. I am not willing them to fail, or to end up as second rate mediocrities. Or fourth rate Byrne Ultimatums.

Maybe I'm wrong ("lighten up LOL!!"), and the 'public wants what the public gets'?

As others have mentioned, being a rip-off format isn't necessarily a crime in and of itself, if the resultant programme is of an excellent standard.

I agree with everything you say except this. Luckily this is not a matter of opinion. If RTE have remade a programme without compensating the original, it is theft. It is just as illegal as if they had stolen the original tapes, or downloaded TV Burp and rebroadcast it without payment. Copyright violation is theft, regardless of how well you do it.

I want to emphasise again that I have no idea if RTE have paid for the format in this case. I think it's likely they have, as the programmes are so similar.

• Advertisement

I want Irish comedy programmes to be hilarious, intelligent, well written, well performed and all the other positive adjectives. I want them to succeed. I am not willing them to fail, or to end up as second rate mediocrities. Or fourth rate Byrne Ultimatums.

I think we might expect too much. But in saying that I do not expect all of RTÉs attempts to be quality, but at least one would be nice and by that I don't mean one every 3 years or so if we are lucky.

I think the show was just Okay but lets face it they have ripped of a show that isn't all that hilarious, its an just okay show but that does help with the fact that RTÉ have produced just an okay version of just an okay show!

This show is better suited to Saturday nights on RTÉ One, if you are going to copy a format you may as well copy the schedule.

I agree with everything you say except this. Luckily this is not a matter of opinion. If RTE have remade a programme without compensating the original, it is theft. It is just as illegal as if they had stolen the original tapes, or downloaded TV Burp and rebroadcast it without payment. Copyright violation is theft, regardless of how well you do it.

I want to emphasise again that I have no idea if RTE have paid for the format in this case. I think it's likely they have, as the programmes are so similar.

But did Screenwipe pay for the rights to The Blizzard of Odd?

I agree with everything you say except this.

We're on the same track. Just to clarify, I was talking solely from a creative point of view, rather than from any licencing/legal position.

Elmo wrote: »
    But did Screenwipe pay for the rights to The Blizzard of Odd?

I doubt it, to be honest. But there is an issue of exposure - how likely is it that Brooker even saw BOO?

I doubt it, to be honest. But there is an issue of exposure - how likely is it that Brooker even saw BOO?

So? Perhaps his producer saw the show from a showreel he got from Colin Murphy.

These shows are not unusual TBH, both the BBC and ITV have produced them in some form or another. Basic premise "a rye look at TV/film" e.g. TV Bloopers, TV Advertising, TV games shows from Japan e.g. Clive Anderson etc etc.

If Neil was to start a fight then yes this would be really a complete rip off but it is unlikely to happen, the slight change of format makes it different.

In terms of exposure Cold Case V The Cold Squad V Waking the Dead.

• Advertisement

I think we might expect too much.

With respect to programme quality, I say that expecting an excess is a whole sight better stance than expecting a dearth. Why give the people in tellyland an easier ride? Why set the bar so low just because they failed to jump it the last twenty times? "That wasn't as bad as I expected" is faint praise indeed.

With respect to programme quality, I say that expecting an excess is a whole sight better stance than expecting a dearth. Why give the people in tellyland an easier ride? Why set the bar so low just because they failed to jump it the last twenty times? "That wasn't as bad as I expected" is faint praise indeed.

I agree. What I am saying is that most of TV is mediocre at the best of times. I would like to see better stuff but at the same time I also expect a certain amount of rubbish, unfortunately this year for RTÉ Two it has been a disgrace.

I set the bar very high TBH.

I agree. What I am saying is that most of TV is mediocre at the best of times. I would like to see better stuff but at the same time I also expect a certain amount of rubbish, unfortunately this year for RTÉ Two it has been a disgrace.

I set the bar very high TBH.

Yes. Certainly it's realistic to assume a whole load of rubbish is going to be broadcast. But as you know, that's different from excusing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mknotaro

@Elmo - I was agreeing with you about the set. But that if unfortunately that's the best thing about a show (any show), then the show must be pretty crap.

In regards to format - I think the format points of Burp aren't huge. But as someone already mentioned if Delamare shouts "fight", then there might be trouble.

I think the thing about Blizzard and Screenwipe is that they were/are two very niche shows. There's a sense of ownership about 'finding' them. [Plus they were/are both smart in their comedy].

ROT is a huge mainstream comedy show that ulimately fails to deliver. I agree with everyone who says it's better than the Bryne Ulimatium. I also agree that the bar shouldn't be set at that standard.

ROT doesn't really know how to do what it does, which is tell gags. It was: Delamere sets up the clip, the clip comes on with an immediate pay off of the set up.

The makers of this show need to watch the show they're copying and see the subtle difference of how to do this show correctly.

Hill does the set up, the clip comes on, there's a build up [a few seconds] and then pay off of the set up. It's that build that makes the comedy of the set up work.

It's like "The chicken crossed the road - to get to the other side" rather than "Why did the chicken cross the road?" "I don't know" "To get to the other side". One makes the audience work to get the joke and particpate, the first just throws something at you and expects you to find it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Today's Tribune article.

Here's the bit that relates to The Republic Of Telly.
    The aforementioned shows are truly inspired. In contrast, The Republic of Telly reminds me of the days when I only had the Irish stations, a senses-distorting lead problem in the pipes, and an over-talkative flatmate on horse tranquillisers who controlled the remote control (it was 1996).

Here's a typical joke from Republic of Telly: a snippet of a Fair City character is shown saying, "I'm going back to Rod for now!" and this is preceded by the words: "Glenda delays her decision to become a lesbian" ('Rod', you see, is both a common male Christian name and a slang term for penis). Some of the snippets don't even seem to have accompanying one-liners. "Fancy five nights on us," says Karen Koster in an out-take from Xposé. This just cuts to Neil Delamere sniggering. There are also a bunch of surreal visual jokes involving telly clips and silly props – which is pretty much Harry Hill's bag (Delamere has put this bag into a bag of his own which is stencilled with the word "swag"). It also features Apprentice outcast Jennifer Maguire doing excruciating vox-pop pranks on Grafton Street, and a foreigner patronising people at a horse fair.

Anyway, I was kind of hoping this would be a bit like The Blizzard of Odd, that strange and wonderful show about B-movies, bad television, soft porn and generic schlock that was presented by Delamere's colleague on The Panel, Colin Murphy. But that show had bite. Since the days of The Blizzard of Odd, however, comedians have been so thoroughly embraced by RTE (I sometimes feel like dialling social services) that Delamere is probably a Grade 1 civil servant.

There's no sense of danger in Delamere's waffling (unless it's the danger of Harry Hill shooting him in the back as he rifles through his stuff), it's just another case of Irish television producers succumbing to British formats with all the energy of a post-coital bumblebee.

"We're watching TV so you don't have to," Delamere promised us at the outset. And I'm watching Republic of Telly so you don't have to. Get someone to read this article for you and you're sorted really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

"We're watching TV so you don't have to,"

And a blatant rip from Charlie Brokers Screen(burn/wipe)..

A Disgrace wrote: »
    And a blatant rip from Charlie Brokers Screen(burn/wipe)..

Which is a blatant rip-off of Colin Murphy's Blizzard of Odd! :D

Funnily, it was Graham Linehan in the forward for Charlies 'Screenburn' who quoted it.. wonder if Blizzard of Odd is where he lifted it from.. Would make sense..

Do we really think Charlies Brooker saw Blizzard of Odd and ripped it though?

Funnily, it was Graham Linehan in the forward for Charlies 'Screenburn' who quoted it.. wonder if Blizzard of Odd is where he lifted it from.. Would make sense..

I am sure RTÉ's rip-off is just that, but I just don't think it is a format worth paying for. What I am pointing to anyone in RTÉ is that they can produce shows of quality with out ripping off the UK counterparts, actually the are better off avoiding direct rip-offs.

The producers of Charlie Broker's show may have seen the Blizzard of Odd, who knows? Perhaps Colin Murphy is a now very angry man.

• Advertisement

I am sure RTÉ's rip-off is just that, but I just don't think it is a format worth paying for. What I am pointing to anyone in RTÉ is that they can produce shows of quality with out ripping off the UK counterparts, actually the are better off avoiding direct rip-offs.

The producers of Charlie Broker's show may have seen the Blizzard of Odd, who knows? Perhaps Colin Murphy is a now very angry man.

I agree that RTE can if they choose produce shows of quality, and regularly do.. I just wonder if all the negative talk, like some of the stuff on here, scares the true inovators away from apporaching RTE and into trying to break the UK instead?

I mean; Soupy Norman, Apres Match, Paths to Freedom, The End, the Blizzard of Odd are all great, but none of them got extended shows, apart from Apres Match which is periodic..

Instead we get Kilinaskully and Podge and Rodge year after year... There's something very wrong with that. I might just have to write a sitcom myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yikes..

It's even worse this week than it was last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

basquille wrote: »
    Yikes..

It's even worse this week than it was last week!

Was just about to post that. Everything about this show is awful, from the lame 'jokes' to the terrible editing, they cut to the same clip of the crowd laughing at least twice. They weren't laughing at this crap anyway, must have been the warm up act. And what the fu(k is the deal with the guy staring at the goat, it's not even amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Am i the only person who thinks it's not terrible? Not brilliant, not exactly good, but not terrible, viewable seems an apt word actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Am i the only person who thinks it's not terrible? Not brilliant, not exactly good, but not terrible, viewable seems an apt word actually.

Nah, Delamere and his 'friends' he mentioned in a quote posted previously don't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I only caught the last 8mins or so, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

A new low for monday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

No, but we do think that someone in Rté saw Bob Mills' "In bed with meDinner" on ITV sometime between 1992 and 1999 and thought it would be an Ideal programme style to knock off.

And the Blizzard of Odd was born.

No complaints here though. Colin Murphy is very funny, and it was one of Rté's better steals, but it was undoubtedly a steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Neil Delameres acid reflux.
    TBH.

• Advertisement

not exactly good, but not terrible

That should be the inspiring pitch for any further series that gets commissioned.

"You might stop short of punching your television!"

Advertisement