Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Delamere's TV Burp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

That should be the inspiring pitch for any further series that gets commissioned.
    "You might stop short of punching your television!"

Or more aptly put it isn't Nightlife and it isn't The Byrne Ultimatum. I think that should be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

A Disgrace wrote: »
    I mean; Soupy Norman, Apres Match, Paths to Freedom, The End, the Blizzard of Odd are all great, but none of them got extended shows, apart from Apres Match which is periodic...

I agree with you on some of these, but Paths To Freedom surely set a shark-jumping, pooch-screwing record with its horrendous second season, not to mention the brain-felch of a movie. Continuing to commission it would have been criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Elmo wrote: »

The clip of the scumbag getting hit with the barrier at the Four Courts?

Ah come on it's hardly our joke. Although it is a boardsie there taking the photos!

I agree with you on some of these, but Paths To Freedom surely set a shark-jumping, pooch-screwing record with its horrendous second season, not to mention the brain-felch of a movie. Continuing to commission it would have been criminal.

It only had one season. Perhaps you're thinking of Fergus' Wedding or something.

Agreed though the Paths to Freedom movie was terrible.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Agreed though the Paths to Freedom movie was terrible.

I thought that initally and prehaps would have to resee the movie but there is a scene were rats gets a new job cleaning the streets which is very funny.

Elmo wrote: »
    I thought that initally and prehaps would have to resee the movie but there is a scene were rats gets a new job cleaning the streets which is very funny.

There were some funny scenes alright but I think dropping the documentary style and just concentrating on Rats was a mistake.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It only had one season. Perhaps you're thinking of Fergus' Wedding or something.

Aye, that's the one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

How come this show isn't being met with the equal venom directed at THe Byrne Ultimatum on here?

Fair enough I could take Delamare as a standup over Byrne everytime but surely both shows are equally as lame?

Just wondering :)

NedTermo wrote: »
    How come this show isn't being met with the equal venom directed at THe Byrne Ultimatum on here?

Fair enough I could take Delamare as a standup over Byrne everytime but surely both shows are equally as lame?

They're not. Delamere's show isn't great but there's the odd funny bit but it's nowhere as mind-numbingly offensive as Jason Byrne's piece of sh*te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

NedTermo wrote: »

Byrne Ultimatum = Complete and utter ****e, ROT = ****e. (Or so the general opinon goes)

Byrne Ultimatum = Complete and utter ****e, ROT = ****e. (Or so the general opinon goes)

I have to agree the lameness isn't quite as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I watched it on the player earlier this morning. I have to say I thought it was a big improvement on the first show. Aside from the Jennifer Maguire segment, the goat staring thing, and a couple of bad jokes.... the show overall was good.

As is said by my AnonoBrother above, this show is no where near as bad as Byrne's childish load of rubbish. However, it is a MUCH easier show to put together. All you need to do is find the already funny bits of telly in the week and embellish them with a few smart jokes. And after the first week, viewers will send in thousands of suggestions, so the show pretty much writes itself.

It's a simple formula, not in any way ground breaking, that is executed fairly competently. And it is better than all of RTE's other poor comedy offerings this year, which are a huge disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I did enjoy the TV3 birthday segment, and Brendan O'Connor embarrasing himself again just to stay on TV. Delamere made a JFK and Monroe reference, reminding us that shortly after she sang Happy Birthday for JFK they were both gone. Oh how we all wish history would repeat itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I didn't catch the first episode and had the misfortune of watching last night's show.

I think Delamere himself probably describes it best in his promo:
    Who writes this muck?

I have never seen Harry Hill's TV Burp so can't compare but this show is so atrociously bad that people need to be fired simply to make the statement that mediocre crap like this should never be aired again.

Do they get 10 minutes to prepare the show because that's what it felt like. Utter utter utter crap.

P.S. Somebody shoot Jenny Maguire now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I have to say I thought it was a big improvement on the first show. Aside from the Jennifer Maguire segment, the goat staring thing, and a couple of bad jokes.... the show overall was good

Eh, overall it was good ? That's a sizeable portion of the show just right there that you said wasn't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Jip wrote: »
    Eh, overall it was good ? That's a sizeable portion of the show just right there that you said wasn't good.

Not really. The Maguire vox pop took few minutes alright, but pretty much everything else in the show bar the bits I mentioned above was watchable.

Where was Lucy Kennedy when they needed a vox pop done anyway. Isnt that her area of expertise? Course she did have a baby a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I thought it was quite funny. Better than the usual garb rte throws out. I thought the little rant about the x factor was amusing

It needs someone to analyse it coldly, ditch what doesn't work and improve what does. Some simple things make it look amateurish. The pre-credit sequence features three headline-style gags. "Man in Private Practice shown x-ray of his testicles", etc. Not only are these stilted in their phrasing, but the same item runs immediately after the credits. Even some of the programmes they draw on are the same.

On top of this, some of the jokes are terribly weak. The only really good one in the two segments last night was "Corrupt Councillors Rezone Woman's Head." This worked because it was suprising, and concisely phrased.

Solution? Drop the headline style unless the gag actually plays as a headline. Write ten jokes and pick the best three, rather than throwing them all at the wall to see what sticks. Aim higher than simple double entendres. And don't do the same item twice in a row unless you want to seem tired before you even start.

None of this is sophisticated or difficult. They just need to think harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

My 14 and 12 year old liked it, I found it funny in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

deisemum wrote: »
    My 14 and 12 year old liked it

there ya go, its for kids.:D

there ya go, its for kids.:D

And that is why it is more suited to Saturday Nights on RTÉ One, just get rid of the Double Entradras for the little ones. Family viewing after the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Its a really poor Tv Burp and im sorry but Neil Delamere is not funny...ever!
    That said,he did a good job on the panel alongside Dara O'Brian.. bring back The Blizzard of Odd! its not too late Rte..

btw that Maguire thing is a bit to similar to what they did on Balls of steel..similar but total pants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Perfect example of how we Irish attempt to imitate our next door neighbours and fail miserably.

btw that Maguire thing is a bit to similar to what they did on Balls of steel..similar but total pants!

In fairness Balls of Steel isn't funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Who's Maguire?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Who's Maguire?

She was on the UK version of The Apprentice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 johnfurlongfrom

mobius42 wrote: »
    This show could be funny if they got rid of Neil Delamere. His delivery was so awkward I couldn't watch more than ten minutes. I don't know why, but RTE shows are always unprofessional and stilted. They never seem to be able to make a show where the presenter can act natural. The way they started the show was terrible and the camera work seemed like it was done by someone doing a video for a transition year project.

The clips were funny enough, but then, it's not difficult to find stupid and funny clips in RTE shows.

who should host it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Colin Murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭andrew90

Watched the show last night, wasn,t as bad as i thought, tried to be a bit to like harry hills tv burp, a few funny clips, thought the fella taking the piss out of Marty Whelan on winning strek was funny,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

andrew90 wrote: »
    tried to be a bit to like harry hills tv burp

Now that you mention it mister newbie... it DOES seem a bit like that programme.

Cheers for the Archimedean revelation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It got a right oul mauling in the t.v. review in the Sunday Times yesterday, that's a couple of t.v. critics now that have given it a panning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jezzington

Delamere and The Panel fraternity in general are deities amongst the student humour Chuck Norris/Hasselfhoff loving brigade. Enough said :rolleyes: Although I will admit to liking Colin Murphy up to about 5 years ago when he was still reasonably relevant. Not so sure I would accuse Charlie Brooker of ripping off Blizzard of Odd though. Brooker tends to focus on mainstream cack with the occasional reference to oldie off the wall horrors here and there. From what I can recall, Colin Murphy's format was more of the latter and less of the former. Then again, there was nothing to stop Charlie Brooker from re-jigging Murphy's routine a bit, but I seriously can't imagine it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Jezzington wrote: »
    Delamere and The Panel fraternity in general are deities amongst the student humour Chuck Norris/Hasselfhoff loving brigade.

Aru mean idiots?

Colin Murphy did a mix of both on The Bizzard of Odd.

His descriptions of some other RTÉ shows

On The Dinner Party - "Thick is the new gay,"

On Winning Streak - "many TV programmes suck but none has ever sucked with such eye-popping abandon as this one".

On Ryan Tubridy - "one person with the talent of half a person doing the job of four people"

on The Big Bow Wow - "You can sue McDonald's if you get fat, you can sue Marlboro if you get cancer, you can try suing Guinness for all the ugly people you've shagged, but you can't sue your TV for exposing you to this."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jezzington

elshambo wrote: »
    Aru mean idiots?

Was it that obvious... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

andrew90 wrote: »
    Watched the show last night, wasn,t as bad as i thought, tried to be a bit to like harry hills tv burp, a few funny clips, thought the fella taking the piss out of Marty Whelan on winning strek was funny,

Its dreadful tonight :(

Agree its a bad imitation of Harry Hills TV Burp and RTE need to have an original idea FFS because they can't even copy the competition properly.

They can't make much worse than this if they go out on a limb so might as well go fooking nuts and give some original talent a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Looks like nobody's even bothering to watch it tonight. You're not missing anything, it's a massive pile of poo as usual.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I just have it on in the background whislt browsing boards, woeful.

Yeah lol housemate keeps telling me to switch over, its so cringeworthy, cancel this sh**!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Jesus Fcuking Christ!!!! That was the biggest hape of SHíTE I have ever watched!

One thing I dont get is how the audience seem to be roaring with laughter at every joke??? Are they watching something else??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

jd007 wrote: »
    Jesus Fcuking Christ!!!! That was the biggest hape of SHíTE I have ever watched!

One thing I dont get is how the audience seem to be roaring with laughter at every joke??? Are they watching something else??:confused:

if neil delamare shat in a cup theyd laugh!

mink_man wrote: »
    if neil delamare shat in a cup theyd laugh!

Its not an actual reaction to what he said TBH.

It can't be and parts of it are just staged like the pantomime part.

Notice it almost seems like when something extremely unfunny is said that they cut to the audience to show them laughing. Then its canned laughter the rest of the time.

If it isn't all faked audience reaction then I'd be amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the canned laughter sounded like the same clip of laughter every time , theres half an hour of my life i wont get back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I mistakenly started a new thread on this, sorry guys. I was saying that the screen behind Delaware is very off putting. I feel as if I've been on a rollercoaster after watching. I think the show could improve but that would really put me off tuning in next week:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Ann22 wrote: »
    I mistakenly started a new thread on this, sorry guys..
    I wouldnt worry about it,

it will get more confusing next season when
    "Charlie Brooker's Monarchy of Telly" starts, as apparently all his ideas are ripped from dodgy RTE shows:rolleyes:
    Ann22 wrote: »
    I was saying that the screen behind Delaware is very off putting. I feel as if I've been on a rollercoaster after watching. I think the show could improve but that would really put me off tuning in next week:(.

Count that as a blessing:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

I think a lot (not all) of this show is funny also think Neil has improved on last weeks.

geem wrote: »
    I think a lot (not all) of this show is funny also think Neil has improved on last weeks.

I thought I was the only one who thought it improved. But it really isn't saying much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

I think the audience are being shown old episodes of "Have I Got News For You" while Delamere is try to deliver those awful punchlines. This would explain the laughter.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JoeFitz89

The concept of the show is great i like the idea of an irish version of harry hills tv burp.if only they actually made an effort

• Advertisement
Advertisement