Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a one year lease?

Options
  • 19-10-2009 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I moved into an apartment two months ago and im not happy, some small prblems like dampness and heating etc which i have brought to the agencies attention only the last few days which is when i have noticed it. i now have found a nice house which i know i would be much happier in. I signed a year lease so what will happen? i want to moved out in the next two weeks but of course the new landlady will want my deposit which is obviously tied up with the agenciey i am currently renting with:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

If you break the lease you forfeit the deposit plus you could be liable for the rent for the rest of the year should your current landlord/landlady choose to pursue it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 marmalade3

Danindublin is correct. You will lose your deposit and the landlord can pursue you for the remaining motnhs' rent.

You could try to find someone who is willing to take over your lease (this is called assigning your lease) - that way this person pays you your deposit back when you move out, assumes all responsibility for your lease and you get to walk away - assuming your landlady agrees to the new tenant.

Tricky situation, and can be very costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭claireycork

Thanks for your comments guys-i might have to stay put so- what if the agencie do not fix the problems such as dampness etc? can i not move out under these clauses or does this depend on wahts in the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

this depend on wahts in the contract?
    Depends on the contract. Look @ PTRB's or Thresholds site regarding what they regard as habitable houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

In order to terminate a fixed term tenancy (i.e. your one year lease), you must give the appropriate amount of notice to the landlord/letting agency in writing. In your case, you've been living there less than 6 months so you need to give 28 days notice.

Further details can be found on www.prtb.ie and more specifically in the Terminating a Tenancy leaflet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

rcdk1 wrote: »
    In order to terminate a fixed term tenancy (i.e. your one year lease), you must give the appropriate amount of notice to the landlord/letting agency in writing. In your case, you've been living there less than 6 months so you need to give 28 days notice.

Further details can be found on www.prtb.ie and more specifically in the Terminating a Tenancy leaflet.

That still doesn't mean the security deposit or rest of the years rent doesn't have to be paid!

Advertisement