Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science CV

Options
  • 19-10-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

hey all, finally in my 4th and final year of biomedical science and looking to get a proper science CV together for job hunting and post grad hunting so to say. i was just wondering how people went about this and their general experiences looking for jobs and Phd's etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

When I left college, the first few cvs I sent out for job semphasised any related work I had done in the field during my degree. Summer placements, what I did during the Intra placement etc. I kept information about my thesis to a brief outline. Finding work wasn't difficult, although it was a different environment then than it is now, and I had very mixed experiences with recruitment agaencies, some were great, others wasted my time and potential employers time by arranging interviews for positions i was nowhere near qualifed for!
    When I applied for my Msc, I changed teh emphasis on my cv to acedemic achievements, gave a detailed outline of my thesis project and results, and emphasised anywhere in my employement history where i was in charge/partook in/ designed a project and related it back if I could to the aspects I wanted to cover in the Msc. I only applied for one Msc, luckily currently on the program, as a taught programe though, the application process may be hugely different than that of a research position.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

that sounds great, a lot of helpful info there thanks a mill. im finding it very nerve wracking having to sort out my future in my final year along with everything lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

biomed32 wrote: »
    that sounds great, a lot of helpful info there thanks a mill. im finding it very nerve wracking having to sort out my future in my final year along with everything lol

I know, and it never helps when you have finals looming:eek: If you've any questions, sure drop me a pm and I'll do my best with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Check to see if your college has a careers service (ask the student's union). They may provide a (free?) CV vetting service. But, as you say yourself, make sure they know it's a Science CV.

Advertisement