Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 - Tullamore Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another section of the same road had a "ghost carriageway" beside it that was simply surfaced and used.

Been done on this island - Banbridge Bypass had all cuttings, all land take done for a dualler but was built as S2 along one side of it, had the second carriageway dropped in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

MYOB wrote: »
    Been done on this island - Banbridge Bypass had all cuttings, all land take done for a dualler but was built as S2 along one side of it, had the second carriageway dropped in later.

That's what is supposed to happen to the Seamus Quirke and Bishop O'Donnell road in Galway. The existing carriageway will have to be fully resurfaced though because it's in an aweful state.

Annoyingly the plan now is that there will be bus lanes in each direction so no extra capacity for other vehicles. I personally can't see enough buses using the bus lanes for them to be justified. Obviously if they just dualled it with 2 lanes for all vehicles in each direction (no bus lanes) buses would still have a good improvement in their journey times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

So,how long does the journey take from where the bypass begins before Mucklagh to where it ends in Gormagh (Durrow)?

Any rough ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

The Bypass is now mapped on OpenStreetMap.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

2009_1025manpics0241.jpg

Heading south in Birr direction under Screggan road bridge (from where first pic on page 1 was taken)

2009_1025manpics0206.jpg

Tullamore direction of same. This section bypasses Mucklagh

2009_1025manpics0223.jpg

Sign on N80 road at bypass

2009_1025manpics0219.jpg

Canal bridge in distance heading South ( Birr direction)

2009_1025manpics0215.jpg

WS2 section approaching the N80 Link (not yet open) with Private Hospital in background. This is a larger roundabout than the others with 5 exits (5th one for the hospital)

2009_1025manpics0213.jpg

Tie in at kilbeggan side, this is WS2 from here to the roundabout above.

• Advertisement

2009_1025manpics0212.jpg

Art works on kilbeggan end, This was where the opening was performed

2009_1025manpics0217.jpg

N52 and R443 roundabout

2009_1025manpics0239.jpg

2009_1025manpics0234.jpg

2009_1025manpics0207.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

medoc wrote: »
    2009_1025manpics0213.jpg

I wonder if there are long term plans to put 2+2 in some of these areas, but not the whole thing. The cross section here is MASSIVE, it could easily take motorway, possibly D3M of all things. Not that Tullamore needs a motorway bypass.

Funny too that theres no way you can see the distance indicator sign as its too far from the road.

I wonder if there are long term plans to put 2+2 in some of these areas, but not the whole thing. The cross section here is MASSIVE, it could easily take motorway, possibly D3M of all things. Not that Tullamore needs a motorway bypass.

Funny too that theres no way you can see the distance indicator sign as its too far from the road.

There is a lot of space along the verges of some areas alright. There are plans for a 2+2 from kilbeggan to tullamore which would finish at the Tullamore north roundabout and the WS2 section is along that section (photo above) (although the camera makes wider than it is). In my opinion 2+2 should have been used from here to the Portlaoise N80 road, even if traffic numbers dont justify it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

In my opinion 2+2 should have been used from here to the Portlaoise N80 road, even if traffic numbers dont justify it now.

It doesnt matter the NRA are building roads as 2+2 for national routes from now on. Now more new WS2's will be flying about. 2+2 is replacing WS2 basically for new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Drove it yesterday. Was not particularly impressed with it, considering it ia reported to have cost 116 million, I fail to see where that amount of money went; the CPO's must have been very excessive.
    I thought it full of roundabouts unfortunately.

EDIT; Though I do think of course it is way better than being stuck in the town. It was extremely busy and full of rubberkneckers crawling along and getting used to the new layouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sorry about this Folks, I'm a bit slow......but looking at the map someone linked to above I'm :confused:

If I'm coming from Birr and want to go to Clara do I still have to go through the town ? (Tullamore)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

If I'm coming from Birr and want to go to Clara do I still have to go through the town ? (Tullamore)

I think so - though you can fairly well choose a number of different ways to do it.

You can take the bypass until you hit the N80 eastbound, then turn left.
    You can go through the old way. You could even, in theory, go almost to the Kilbeggan end, then approach from the north of the town.

There is a link still under construction which I understand is to be the "official" N80 routing. For now, based on the signs on the ground, OSM actually has a gap in the N80.

mackerski wrote: »
    There is a link still under construction which I understand is to be the "official" N80 routing. For now, based on the signs on the ground, OSM actually has a gap in the N80.

True but the under construction link is signed as the R443 from the bypass. That still leaves the N80 heading into the town centre which dosent make sense.

True but the under construction link is signed as the R443 from the bypass. That still leaves the N80 heading into the town centre which dosent make sense.
    Maybe the N80 to Clara is being downgraded to become the R443.

The preferred route to Athlone etc is now via Kilbeggan (M6)

Maybe the N80 to Clara is being downgraded to become the R443.

The preferred route to Athlone etc is now via Kilbeggan (M6)

The N80 to Moate from Tullamore is to be down graded to the R420. I emailed Offaly County Council about this. It is currently awaiting Ministerial order. The Tullamore Kilbeggan road is been planned as 2+2. I will post a copy of the mail later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

The N80 to clara from Tullamore is to be down graded to the R420. I emailed Offaly County Council about this. It is currently awaiting Ministerial order. The Tullamore Kilbeggan road is been planned as 2+2. I will post a copy of the mail later.

That all makes sense - no point building these fancy new roads which are safer to drive on more fuel efficient etc and make towns like Clara thankfully another place in Ireland I need never go to again ...Moate...Knock...Claremorris...Bundoran..Ballyshannon..Athlone..etc etc.

The old road might be slightly shorter - but I doubt it is quicker and I know it is not safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

westtip wrote: »
    That all makes sense - no point building these fancy new roads which are safer to drive on more fuel efficient etc and make towns like Clara thankfully another place in Ireland I need never go to again ...Moate...Knock...Claremorris...Bundoran..Ballyshannon..Athlone..etc etc.

The old road might be slightly shorter - but I doubt it is quicker and I know it is not safer.
    Certainly if the N52 is upgraded to 2+2 it makes sense to encourage traffic onto it via the M6 and get it off the old N80. Makes it even stranger that the Tullamore bypass wasn't 2+2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

murphaph wrote: »
    Makes it even stranger that the Tullamore bypass wasn't 2+2 though.
    Maybe they couldn't build an isloated stretch of 2+2 without upgrading the other part of the N52, 2+2 then S2 might have been a bit dodgy. At least they have made provision.
    Indeed, that's the attitude that should be taken. You often hear of bad smashes in the midlands

I presume they'll have to re-signs these if the reclassification goes ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The N80 to clara from Tullamore is to be down graded to the R420. I emailed Offaly County Council about this. It is currently awaiting Ministerial order. The Tullamore Kilbeggan road is been planned as 2+2. I will post a copy of the mail later.
    Didn't know about this - it's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

nordydan wrote: »
    Maybe they couldn't build an isloated stretch of 2+2 without upgrading the other part of the N52, 2+2 then S2 might have been a bit dodgy. At least they have made provision.

The other 2+2 schemes (all one built and one under construction) in existance are book-ended by S2 or WS2; I'd say it was more a case of the Tullamore scheme being too far advanced by the time they'd decided that Dromod/Roosky was a success.

• Advertisement

This is a copy of the reply I got from Offaly Co Co. I'm not sure about showing the mans name at the bottom of the Mail so I'll leave it out for now. I can edit it in if that is ok to do, any thoughts???

The one I sent last night
    Hello,

I'm not sure if this is a question for the NRA or yourselves, appologies
    if I'm wrong. The new bypass still has the link to the N80 Clara road
    under construction. When this section opens will it be the signed and
    designated the N80 or the R443 as is shown on the signs already in
    place. It would make sense to designate it as N80 with the Collins lane
    section of the R443 also as N80, unless of course the N80 to Moate is to
    be downgraded to an R road. Is there any news on the upgrade to the N52
    Kilbeggan road and will this be 2+2 or S2, also why was the bypass not
    2+2 to at least the Portlaoise road or why was provision for a future
    vupgarde not allowed for. If any of these questions are relevant to
    Offaly county council I would be grateful for an answer when possible. I
    realise some of them are better sent to the NRA but I decided to ask you
    first.

Thank you

This is the reply I got back this morning.

*******;

The Clara Road (from the Clara Road roundabout to Moate) is to be
    re-classified as the R420. This has to be done by Ministerial Order and
    this process was, as far as I am aware, recently initiated by the NRA.
    Until the the Ministerial Order becomes effective, the present status of
    the Clara Road remains as the N80 and it will be signed as such.

The Tullamore/Kilbeggan Link Road is been designed as a 2+2.

The traffic (design/projected) volumes on the Tullamore By-Pass did not
    warrant a 2+2, and there are no allowances/provisions to convert this
    road to a 2+2 in the future. This is detailed in the EIS for the scheme.

Regards
    Senior Engineer
    Roads

I'm almost certain that the Moate/Clara exit off the M6 was signed as R420 when I passed ages ago, indeed I remember it been commented on here by someone as a possible mistake. Is it still signed that way?

MYOB wrote: »
    The other 2+2 schemes (all one built and one under construction) in existance are book-ended by S2 or WS2; I'd say it was more a case of the Tullamore scheme being too far advanced by the time they'd decided that Dromod/Roosky was a success.
    I'd go with this. The Tullamore scheme dragged on a bit. The contract details were probably decided a good while ago. Bit of a shame. The 2+2 is great and a much better use of the roadway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

I would leave your man;s name out btw, incase they pick it up and are reluctant to give info in the future.
    I'm almost certain that the Moate/Clara exit off the M6 was signed as R420 when I passed ages ago, indeed I remember it been commented on here by someone as a possible mistake. Is it still signed that way?

It is R420 north of this junction until you get to the old N6(R446).
    That's possibly the reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The N80 to clara from Tullamore is to be down graded to the R420.

Tullamore to Moate surely ???

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Tullamore to Moate surely ???

Sorry, just noticed that in my earlier post. I meant to say Moate to Tullamore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You probably did mean Clara to Tullamore as in The only bit of the N80 built to modern standards and now sadly made redundant by a Motorway a few km to the north , what a waste seeing as the rest of the N80 is all substandard :)

I thought at least a few km in wexford/Carlow were rebuilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

murphaph wrote: »
    I thought at least a few km in wexford/Carlow were rebuilt?

Yes from just north of bunclody, 10km im guessing, with WS2 and a climbing lane at one point.

The N80 from Carlow to Enniscorthy is a very good road in general, nearly entirely resurfaced in recent years. Carlow to Portlaoise aint too bad either except for a few dodgy bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

the n80 from tullamore to Clara is in better nik than the n52.this road getting reclassified isnt such good news for people who use it.The speed limit will drop .im guessing.the council spent years improving this route,taking bad bends and hills out.

• Advertisement

biffoman wrote: »
    the n80 from tullamore to Clara is in better nik than the n52.this road getting reclassified isnt such good news for people who use it.The speed limit will drop .im guessing.the council spent years improving this route,taking bad bends and hills out.

it is a decent section of road alrite and is definatly a candidate for a special 100km/h after redesignation. What bets on Offaly Council Council doing it though. Alot of the national secondary routes in Offaly are of a good standard with the exception of N62. The council did alot of work years ago eg Tullamore to Clara and especially Kilcormac to birr.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement