Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 - Tullamore Bypass

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Looks like the arty bollocks has arrived:

http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/article.asp?newsId=86&backURL=%2Fnew%2Findex.asp
    N52 Tullamore Bypass- Commemorative Artistic Feature

Posted By: Serena O'Connor - 11 Dec 2009

In early Christian times, what is now County Offaly, was at the juncture of the four provinces of Connaught, Munster, Meath and Leinster. It held an important strategic position, resulting in the establishment and patronage of a significant number of monasteries.

These well endowed monasteries produced internationally famous artwork, the High Crosses, graveslabs, Book of Durrow, and ornate metal work. They show the prestige and quality of craftsmen working at these sites. Durrow Monastic Site is close to the northern end of the Bypass with Lynally Monastic site at the southern end.

n52tpartistic%20feature%201.jpg
    N52 Tullamore Bypass Artistic Feature

The artist Maurice Harron has set out to ‘make visible the huge cultural contribution made over the centuries by these foundations.’ His four impressive figures present symbols of learning and sanctity. Approaching the figures from the north, the first holds up a chalice, the second a book, the third a crosier and the fourth shows the release of a flock of birds / souls. The features are located on esker ridges. Eskers are long understood to have been used as communication routes between ancient sites.

n52tpartistic%20feature.jpg
    N52 Tullamore Bypass Artistic feature 2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think that stuff was up there the day it opened if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

mfitzy wrote: »
    I think that stuff was up there the day it opened if I recall.

Yup,it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/servicesa-z/newspressreleases/title,4754,en.html

N52 Rathconnell Re-alignment Scheme
    Leas-Cathaoirleach of Westmeath County Council Councillor Dan McCarthy opened the N52 Rathconnell Re-Alignment scheme on Monday 15th February at 12 noon. Speaking at the official opening, Councillor McCarthy praised this scheme which has improved road safety & stated that he “looked forward to the day when the N52 between Mullingar & Clonmellon would be completed to this high standard.”

This re-alignment project, which was supported and funded by the National Roads Authority, is part of an ongoing series of improvements on the N52 Route between Tyrrellspass and Clonmellon. The Project, which is consistent with Westmeath County Council’s Policy to enhance the strategic transportation infrastructure within the county, complements other recent re-alignment projects on the route including the 2.4km Billistown Re-alignment Project, the 1.9km Macetown Re-alignment Project and the Mullingar to Belvedere Scheme completed in 2007.
    The Rathconnell scheme was designed by Westmeath County Council’s Road Design Section. Construction of the road consisting of 1 kilometre of single carriageway was carried out in two phases commencing in May 2008 and completed in December 2009.
    Construction of Phase 1 was carried out by the Mullingar Area Office of Westmeath County Council and Phase 2 which completed the tie-ins was carried out by Ward & Burke Construction Ltd., Stradbally East, Kilcolgan, Co. Galway. The overall cost of the scheme was €3 Million euros which is reflected in the high quality of the finished road.
    The completion of this scheme, together with previous improvement works along the route, will have considerable benefits for the region. The improved road quality has enhanced road safety and decreased journey times which will facilitate development and employment activity in the area.
    Westmeath County Council will continue improving this strategic route with projects currently at an advanced design stage for the Carrick Bridge to Clonfad section south of Mullingar and for the Rathconnell to Macetown Section north of Mullingar.
    Westmeath County Council also wishes to acknowledge the ongoing financial support of the National Roads Authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The N52 is probably the most important Secondary road in the country.

It links Kerry, Clare, North Cork, Tipperary, Laois offaly (N62) Cork, with the North and North East of Ireland.

Some strategic towns,
    Navan(N51)
    Nenagh
    Birr
    Tullamore
    Mullingar
    Delvin
    Kells (which will be bypassed soon) - the bypass is poor design by my standards with the tie with the M3.
    Ardee
    Dundalk.

Has there been any money put towards the N52 this year. The 3km section near Borrriskane is getting the road realigned there this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mysterious wrote: »
    The N52 is probably the most important Secondary road in the country.

It links Kerry, Clare, North Cork, Tipperary, Laois offaly (N62) Cork, with the North and North East of Ireland.

Which very neatly explains why it is not the most important secondary road in the country and jolly well done Mysterious.

These are all linked by the M1 M3 and M7 or will largely be by end 2010.

Important secondary roads are where there is no realistic primary alternative and/or a lot of traffic.

They are generally on city fringes like the N81 and N71 and N84 for example ....not some mickey mouse road near Birr with 5k AADT like the N52. Even busy sections of the N52 struggle to exceed 10k AADT

I know of regional roads with 2/3 times that....spend the money there instead.

Table 7.2: National Primary Routes in North Tipperary

2003 AADT % HCV
    Nenagh - Borrisokane - Birr 4700 13%

Pahhhh :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Which very neatly explains why it is not the most important secondary road in the country and jolly well done Mysterious.

These are all linked by the M1 M3 and M7 or will largely be by end 2010.

Important secondary roads are where there is no realistic primary alternative and/or a lot of traffic.

They are generally on city fringes like the N81 and N71 and N84 for example ....not some mickey mouse road near Birr with 5k AADT like the N52. Even busy sections of the N52 struggle to exceed 10k AADT

I know of regional roads with 2/3 times that....spend the money there instead.

Table 7.2: National Primary Routes in North Tipperary

2003 AADT % HCV
    Nenagh - Borrisokane - Birr 4700 13%

Pahhhh :(

What are you rabbiting about.

The Road is important get over it dude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mysterious wrote: »
    The Road is important get over it dude.

Only for a few farmers north of Nenagh but in the National context it isn't.

Explain as a "road expert" why a road carrying 5-10k ADT over much of its length is more important than Newlands Cross.

Short sentences please, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Explain as a "road expert" why a road carrying 5-10k ADT over much of its length is more important than Newlands Cross.

I use it! :D Well,over the years I quite regularly drive Limerick to Tullamore but tbh with the recent investment in the M7 it will make more sense for me to drive as far as Roscrea,then onwards to Birr + Tullamore

(Twiddles thumbs):D

Nah i'll leave it to you too you.

I'm saying the N52 is one of irelands most important secondary roads. If you can understand that, great. I have no idea what your trying to say Sponge bob, seems like your squirming to bitch about something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm having trouble finding any of those supposedly recently realigned N52 projects on Gmaps (Macetown, etc.). Anyone spotted them on another mapping solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

As i posted in a different thread the N52 is a very important road it goes up almost the entire length of the country. It should at least have hard shoulders etc. If you drive the entire road back to back in a day you will agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Thread locked. This scheme has been completed. A new N52 thread can be created to discuss the rest of the route.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement