Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landscape Photographer of the Year - Winning Entries

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭amcinroy

CabanSail wrote: »
    None of us have seen "Milky Water" flowing from a waterfall like you get with long exposures. This simple process of photographing moving water produces something which is not "true" to what can be seen in the real world. Photographs have been manipulated since the process began. Photography can be simply a record or it can be an interpretation.

I don't think we should be equating long exposures with 'manipulation'. These are fundamentally different concepts.

Long exposures do not capture how water 'looks'. They capture how water 'is'. In other words, long exposures capture a history of the water as a volume in space-time. That is as true as the view or intepretation as that we see with our eyes. It's just a different abstraction of that view. Both are equally valid and honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Well I'm still trying to get my head around my new found definition, (as a result of this thread), but yeah, a photograph is a photograph when the camera records the scene, it is then processed to get your desired 'look', but not processed to the extent that you ADD things in. You've now gone from a photograph to a 'work of art' (or something) !
    Are you following my (simple) train of thought Covey ? :eek::pac:

........or are you gonna attack me ? I feel an attack coming on !!! :p

No attack coming on :P I think I'm following, just not agreeing with it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Elven, you are messing with my brain !! :p
    does that then mean that a work of art cannot be something that *was* there in front of the lens, as is?
    I never said it wasn't a work of art ! but more importantly it is a photograph. Its something the camera caught and recorded.
    If I have a 'picture' in front of me, but it has elements added to it, like a sky from a different photo, then that 'thing' cannot be classified as a photograph.
    What would ye call it, would ye classify it as a photograph ?
    I don't think we should be equating long exposures with 'manipulation'. These are fundamentally different concepts.
    That would be my thinking also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the same can be said for ultra fast exposures - they capture the world in a way the human eye cannot, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

If I have a 'picture' in front of me, but it has elements added to it, like a sky from a different photo, then that 'thing' cannot be classified as a photograph.
    What would ye call it, would ye classify it as a photograph ?

I suppose the short answer is, I don't really care. I don't see the point myself, but if someone wants to do that, fire away - don't pretend it's as you found it, call it a photograph with extra invented bits if you like, but it really doesn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I have to say, this has been one of the best threads here for a good while. Well, maybe excepting a couple that did make me laugh out loud ;)

As someone, who as good as never, takes a landscape, I might well give it a twirl. Looking at some of the work recently of among others David Farrell and Simon Burch has also hightened that interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I suppose the short answer is, I don't really care.
    Ah elven, I'm disappointed, I expected more from you ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I suppose I care why they are doing it, but I don't care whether they call it photography or not...

Advertisement