Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing mangoes?

Options
  • 19-10-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Does anyone know, is it possible to grow mangoes in a greenhouse in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i'd imagine it would need to be pretty hot in there, hotter than a lot of other stuff will tolerate. I'm really not sure though. Have you found anything else about the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Mango trees get very large and need hot, humid weather - and I'm basing this on the ones I've seen in Northern Queensland. (Also, you can get very sick of mangoes. :) ) If you want a tropical crop indoors, you may be better to investigate a dwarf variety of a peach or nectarine for growing under glass in a tub...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 munster1001

The main problem with growing mangoes is heating the greenhouse. Normally an unheated greenhouse in this country is similar to growing in a mediterranean climate, which unfortunately is not hot enough for a mango tree. Growing inside your house, houseplants for instance, is similar to growing in a desert, from the point of view of humidity anyway, so this too is not suitable for mango trees. So you need somewhere that never goes below 10 degrees and the humidity never really falls below 60%. Once you have solved that, you may want to grow your mango in a pot to control its size. People have started growing mangoes commercially in cooler climates using geothermal heating systems and that I think is the best option, to minimise the heating costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

The main problem with growing mangoes is heating the greenhouse. Normally an unheated greenhouse in this country is similar to growing in a mediterranean climate, which unfortunately is not hot enough for a mango tree. Growing inside your house, houseplants for instance, is similar to growing in a desert, from the point of view of humidity anyway, so this too is not suitable for mango trees. So you need somewhere that never goes below 10 degrees and the humidity never really falls below 60%. Once you have solved that, you may want to grow your mango in a pot to control its size. People have started growing mangoes commercially in cooler climates using geothermal heating systems and that I think is the best option, to minimise the heating costs.

7 years later. Brilliant :D

Advertisement