Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jazz festival Cork this weekend

Options
  • 19-10-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

So wheres everyone heading for the jazz weekend?
    Anyone know of any good gigs happening?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Leaving cork!!!! Souths is normally good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

The Marvels are in the Oak on Sat evening and night - I'll be there for that, no jazz. They were there last year too and were great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

murphym7 wrote: »
    The Marvels are in the Oak on Sat evening and night - I'll be there for that, no jazz. They were there last year too and were great craic.

I went to see them actually last year in the Oak, they were good!! :)

Im looking for the real jazzzz this year though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Abandon ship!

dahamsta wrote: »
    Abandon ship!

Very helpful! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Real Cork people get out of town, its like the 12th up north.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ What nonsense. I love how people who do not particularly like jazz get thier knickers in a twist over the Jazz Weekend. Real Cork people :rolleyes:

Always plenty happening in the Metropole. The free jazz sessions in the afternoons can be a bit hit or miss, but always a cracking atmosphere.

For something a bit more different, Mulligans usually have some bands on who would be more Rock N Roll.

The Oak, Scotts, Souths and all would all have something to please everyone as well.

Hmm, yeah you clearly don't live anywhere near where these muppets play... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

gimmick wrote: »
    I love how people who do not particularly like jazz
    You should give the mind-reading a skip chum, you're not very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I'll be working in the metropole so think of me please when ye're all lindy hopping around the shop :D And lay off the jazz, it get's people into work and it's the daddy of all modern music!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ What nonsense. I love how people who do not particularly like jazz get thier knickers in a twist over the Jazz Weekend. Real Cork people :rolleyes:

Always plenty happening in the Metropole. The free jazz sessions in the afternoons can be a bit hit or miss, but always a cracking atmosphere.

For something a bit more different, Mulligans usually have some bands on who would be more Rock N Roll.

The Oak, Scotts, Souths and all would all have something to please everyone as well.

I think the issue is more the lack of actual jazz rather than the presence of it. There aren't nearly enough old black guys for it to even be decent blues, but it's mostly some kind of blues/rock they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The Metropole is probably the best mix with multiple rooms of music available all different from the previous one.

The Metropole is probably the best mix with multiple rooms of music available all different from the previous one.

That sounds good, I heard good reports from last year for the Metropole too.

Also... I dont understand why a lot of Corkonians leave Cork for the Jazz weekend :confused:

Beacause its invaded by a load of tossers. What's not to understand?

Could you not go and enjoy it without worrying about any ''tossers'' around you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Imo its a great weekend and Poeple from Cork especially should make the most of it seeing as its in our home town, which is what I plan to do! :D

Nah thankfully I will be no where near town this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

so where's everyone going instead of sticking around cork?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

so where's everyone going instead of sticking around cork?:D
    London for the NFL :D

I'd love to stay around Cork. Last year I ended up wondering around in the Imperial and found my way into a room miles in the back where there was some sort of school girls choir. They were unreal and they all had saxamaphones and trumpets and people were having a great time.
    I was incredibly drunk tho so it may or may not have happened... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Mary Stokes in Counihans is good every year too for those who don't really like Jazz - she plays some blues but its good to listen too, not that serious stuff. I am going to head into the Bailey on Sunday 6pm too for a lash of Don Baker - always entertaining. Saw him last year, he gets fairly pissed though so can be a bit of a flop.

I don't like jazz either but there are a few acts around that can be a laugh to go to.

It should be renamed the invasion of the weirdo's in funny hats and long raincoats weekend!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Only reason I hate Jazz weekend is that everywhere is seriously packed!!

Last year we popped into the chambers for one and there was a band called "amadáns and bodhráns" playing! Not Jazz but they were brilliant!! :D
    I will be avoiding town this Jazz weekend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Hi Folks.
    Looking forward to going to Cork for my first Jazz festival.

So I got the following...
    Mulligans - For something different.
    Scotts -
    Oak -
    Metropole - Lots of Jazz
    Thats Friday and Some of Saturday sorted. Anymore places???:D

Fun Loving Criminals are on the Sunday (have my tickets:D) Any other bands you know to be good???

*Lees* wrote: »
    Only reason I hate Jazz weekend is that everywhere is seriously packed!!Last year we popped into the chambers for one and there was a band called "amadáns and bodhráns" playing! Not Jazz but they were brilliant!! :D
    I will be avoiding town this Jazz weekend!!

That is one down side alright, I hear theres a lot of day time gigs too though so they wont be as packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If anyone has a ticket or two for the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble on Friday night in the Pavillion I'll do anything*

*Bordering on oral, and handjobs, but most other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

If anyone has a ticket or two for the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble on Friday night in the Pavillion I'll do anything*

*Bordering on oral, and handjobs, but most other stuff.

They're doing a second show at the Pav on Friday at 8. Tix available on tickets.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thanks for the headsup and the PM Ivor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Thanks for the headsup and the PM Ivor :)

No worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

dahamsta wrote: »
    You should give the mind-reading a skip chum, you're not very good at it.

Please don't ever call me chum. I don't think i could handle the honour of it.

Ahahahaha. Someone has a serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I for one, am heading up to Dublin to see Modeselektor. Would've liked to have seen The Bad Plus but Modeselektor > anything happening down here.

But yeah, The Bad Plus would be my pick:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

The Coronas in Cyprus Avenue on Sunday night..
    Not into much jazz myself, so this was the safest option :)
    Cant wait though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

The Caronas? :eek:

*vomits*

There's too much blues passing off as Jazz for the last few years.

Advertisement