Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Inventory

Options
  • 19-10-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I moved into a new apartment last week having read through the lease and inventory list with the agent. Before I signed it i made sure that all the missing items on the inventory would be put into the apartment asap. the agent assured me of this. Then I signed the lease.

Now the Agent is telling me that because of the recession the landlord wont provide these missing items because the will "Just Be Broken" and therefore a waste of money. I cant eveneat because there are no plates or cutlery, sure i cant even cook either because there are no pans. Is this legal??? can the landlord do that??? should i buy them myself, keep the receipt and deduct it from next months rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Its pretty much tough luck. You got suckered by the pay up and we will do it later lie. You cant deduct it from the rent legally. Just buy some from dunnes or IKEA (both very cheap) you can take it with you when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lalalaboom wrote: »
    I moved into a new apartment last week having read through the lease and inventory list with the agent. Before I signed it i made sure that all the missing items on the inventory would be put into the apartment asap. the agent assured me of this. Then I signed the lease.
    The worst part is, in 12 months time, they'll turn around and ask where X items were because "sure, you signed the inventory staying they were there" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd go buy them myself, think of them as an investment for the future, you can keep them at the end!

I would bring your lease to the agent and have him cross off the missing inventory and sign it again just to keep yourself covered for when you move out. It can be hard to remember at the end of a lease term what stuff was provided so have a detailed list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

A landlord rarely supplies pots,pans or cutlery. It is actually a faulty assumption to expect them. You should insure you have a correctly signed list of content. You should never sign something stating you received something you haven't.

I stopped providing electric kettles as the tenants wanted a replacement one every 6 months it seemed. It was amazing how once this happened they managed to keep their self bought kettles so much longer.

You should not make any deductions from rent without prior approval of the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Kipperhell wrote: »
    A landlord rarely supplies pots,pans or cutlery. It is actually a faulty assumption to expect them.

I've actually had them supplied everywhere I've rented - though I totally agree with you, I don't see why they should be expected from the landlord. I usually end up putting most of what is available in storage anyway and just use my own stuff.
    You should insure you have a correctly signed list of content. You should never sign something stating you received something you haven't.

+ 1. The place I'm currently in actually had a microwave and some other fixings (blinds, etc) listed in the inventory that weren't there to begin with! I don't think it was malicious on the landlord's side (they had a dodgy tenant before and I wouldn't be surprised if said tenant took things with them) but I told them I wouldn't sign anything until they made up a new inventory excluding those items, which is exactly what they did.

If you sign for things that are not there when you move in, what comeback will you have if the landlord is looking for them when you move out and deducts from your deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

J-blk wrote: »
    I've actually had them supplied everywhere I've rented - though I totally agree with you, I don't see why they should be expected from the landlord. I usually end up putting most of what is available in storage anyway and just use my own stuff.

Some landlords might do this at the start but more often than not they are just left by previous tenants but they are not provided as such from my experience and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Some landlords might do this at the start but more often than not they are just left by previous tenants but they are not provided as such from my experience and practice.

In the places I've stayed they were provided by the landlords, as they were listed in the inventory (unless of course the landlords in question tend to add things to the inventory that previous tenants have left behind :P) but like I said, I don't think landlords should be obliged to provide those at least and you're better off having your own cutlery, pans, etc.

Advertisement