Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector told 'strike and pay will be docked'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

Drumpot wrote: »
    ..... You see, a majority of people I came across, whether it be working in banks (BOI And AIB) or New Ireland , were certainly not creaming the companies (as quite simply the companies wouldnt have it). There are tens of thousands of people working in the Banking sector that are on nowhere near the average industrial wage.

AIB has reported pre-tax profits of €2.5 billion for 2007, down 4% from the figure of €2.6 billion in 2006

Underlying profit before tax at Bank of Ireland for the financial year to March 31 was 6% higher than the previous year at €1.79 billion. Growth at the same time last year was 28%

AXA The Paris-based insurer said net profit for the full year fell to EUR923 million from EUR5.67 billion in 2007.

With controlled risk asset growth, and profit retentions of c. €1 billion in the current year, the Bank's Basel II core capital ratio will rise close to 6% at 30 September 2008

so it seems like they can afford a wage increase for you.

Having said that, the way was paved back in the 80's when some good firends of mine were actively maneuvered out of the bank job because they opposed the introduction of lower paid staff.

alibabba wrote: »
    The Government's running of the country is somewhat like running a business.

No it's not.

No private company I know of gives you free glasses, free dental treatment, runs a transport system to places where no other competitor would go, gives you money if you're unfortunate enough to not have employment, gives you a house if you can't provide your own ...
    If its not making more money than its spending, its in trouble -

A governement is not in the business of making money. It's business is providing the services to run a safe, stable society that I and everyone else can live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭amacca

No it's not.

A governement is not in the business of making money. It's business is providing the services to run a safe, stable society that I and everyone else can live in.

Agreed....however our current government has not exactly been A1 on the safe or stable aspects of society.....were about to see existing low levels of "safe" and "stable" erode even more over the coming years.

It should also do some long term planning and get into the business of providing a sustainable society....not a rapacious societal organism obsessed with short sighted competition and consumption where laziness, greed and crime is rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,048 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Participate in a "day of protest" and have that taken from your salary, you have a problem...

Participate in an all out work stoppage/down tools and standing/continuing protest in the city centre across many sectors until a general election is called, the government has a problem...

Then what?

There will be a new government, but still the same old 20 billion euro hole in next year's budget...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I'm a private sector employer for a start, not a public sector worker as suggested...

I don't agree that people working in public or private sector jobs should be poorly paid. I don't agree either that nurses or gardai are highly paid compared to whatever their private sector equivilent might be.

We need to decide as a country do we want well paid secure jobs or do we not, and we need to stop drawing this distinction between public sector and private sector workers. We need to decide where the income bar should be set at as a minimum and take it from there and stop getting all hung up on what is happening over in Sweden or the UK and drop this public -vs-private sector debate.

nurses and guards are very highly paid compared to thier counterparts in other european countries which are incedently richer than us , that is the only real barrometer we should be using when comparing the wages of nurses or guards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Not from the car dealers, bank managers, dodgy pension vendors and property developers who all saw that money coming their way.

as bad as the property developers were , it was them who generated the revenue which allowed the goverment to make our teachers , nurses , guards , consultants , the highest paid in europe , in a twisted sort of way , public sector workers should be gratefull to developers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

so it seems like they can afford a wage increase for you.

They got a few billion of taxpayers money, hopefully they pay that back before thay award pay rises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pmacdot

irish_bob wrote: »
    as bad as the property developers were , it was them who generated the revenue which allowed the goverment to make our teachers , nurses , guards , consultants , the highest paid in europe , in a twisted sort of way , public sector workers should be gratefull to developers
    Yes and made everything from sandwiches and basic housing too expensive!! Oh yes we should be so grateful!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

public sector workers should be gratefull to developers
    Who are paying them back with expensive mortgages on over-priced houses.

The economy is a money-go-round. Somebody's hit the brakes and a ton of money has fallen off....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

No it's not.

No private company I know of gives you free glasses, free dental treatment, runs a transport system to places where no other competitor would go, gives you money if you're unfortunate enough to not have employment, gives you a house if you can't provide your own ...

I did say "is somewhat like", and it is.
    ANd I have still to hear or read one single comment from the unions/public sector to any alternative to pay cuts !
    You wont hear or read any because there are none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

ANd I have still to hear or read one single comment from the unions/public sector to any alternative to pay cuts !
    You wont hear or read any because there are none.
    Non- replacement of staff who leave? A ban on promotions? Voluntary short-term working? Cut backs in non-essential projects such as decentralisation ? Stop translating stuff into Irish that nobody reads? Cut the bank bailouts? Get rid of NAMA?

Non- replacement of staff who leave? A ban on promotions? Voluntary short-term working? Cut backs in non-essential projects such as decentralisation ? Stop translating stuff into Irish that nobody reads? Cut the bank bailouts? Get rid of NAMA?

The 7% public sector paycut sounds allot handier than that
    Jasus they might as well round it off to 10% while they are at it.

Here is one to add to your list ... go in next Tuesday Morning to the Public Sector, anyone with a cup of tea in their hand any time after 9am, fire them. Tha will save the country millions !
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

RCIRL wrote: »
    I am still waiting for a reply to my email, looking for 300 people ring any bells?
    No, actually. Can you resend please? All emails and contacts have to my knowledge been responded to.
    Amhran Nua= taking advantage of the current situation to sneak in and carry on the age old tradition of deception (pretending they care).
    If you could point out where exactly this deception is, it would be much appreciated. We're not sneaking anywhere.
    I doubt you make it that far, should you be lucky enough to present yourself on my ballot paper, you wont be getting my vote.
    Ah we won't get every vote, but I'd hope to get the votes that actually care about the future of the country.
    FF are part of Irish woodwork, over 20 years they have spent messing up the entire system, no party can undo the mess, not in this generation.
    Better that it takes two generations and gets done, than it doesn't get done at all.
    Over 450,000 people in Ireland have two choices, leave Ireland or wait around and try and find work in the public sector.
    Thats the options at the moment, with a little imagination and hard work we can create further options however.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ok . . Heres where I am at . .

I have a wife that took a 30% paycut. She is on short time and will be lucky to have her job at christmas (she has been there over 3 years).

We have a 6 month year old child.

I work in an industry thats lost over half its business because of this economic crisis and things appear to be only getting worse.

I wake up every morning , as does my wife, worrying about how we are going to pay our loans and liabilities if one or both of us should lose our job.

Most of the people I know working in the private sector are worried about their jobs (save for 1) and anybody I know in the public sectors grievance is with their pay being cut . .

Looking at this purely from a basic level, who do you think has more to worry about ?

This is one of the biggest problems that those on the Unions side have accepting. The reason I dont really feel pity for public servants is because I would love to be in a position to be arguing over what could end up being a 12.5% paycut (and maintain the "perks that go with public service jobs). They are in a differant world to mine.

I dont have job security, a guaranteed pension, unvouched sick days entitlements, yet I am expected to listen to public servants constantly point fingers at differant areas of private employment (that dont have these perks) and demand parity.

The most vunerable in society are already taking a huge hit. Social welfare isnt getting off lightly in this budget either.

The public service is not being attacked. Its being trimed to be a more sustainable, cost efficient animal in a time of economic turmoil. I always love it when the unions ignore the questions on "if this was a private company" (with regard to how private companies cut their cloth when financial crisis dictate) when they use this arguement when trying to get payrises.

When a country has benchmarked its public services higher salaries during a time of a property bubble , in which tax intakes were immense because of its boom, its appropriate that when that boom is over and the taxes have dissapeared that the public service is benchmarked accordingly.

Ive said it elsewhere, but from my position, it looks like the public service want their cake, want to eat it and want to still have some of their cake left afterwards . .

My wife nor I are even on a salary of 30k (that keeps getting bandied around as if its a pitance!). There are hundreds of thousands of private sector employees (tellors, dunnes stores worker, retail workders, administrators etc) that are in a similar position looking at the poor old public servants thinking that they are somehow the only ones being singled out in this crisis.

"Its about Fairness" say the unions . . No . . If your walking in my families shoes, its about self interest at my expense.

Good man Drumpot, a good sumation.
    Yet I expect a Public Servant will be back fairly soon picking holes in your post left right & centre when they should be really asking themselves ...
    what was that infamous line ....

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country".
    No, they'd rather have lots of cake.

Keep the chin up, we'll get out of this mess sometime hopefully soon, with or without the help of the public servants.

.....go in next Tuesday Morning to the Public Sector, anyone with a cup of tea in their hand any time after 9am, fire them. Tha will save the country millions !
    :rolleyes:

Holy Sh1t, if I had of done that 5 years ago when I was paying through the nose to have my house extended, I would have gone through a lot of builders !!

.... Keep the chin up, we'll get out of this mess sometime hopefully soon, with or without the help of the public servants.
    uncle-sam.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ninja900 wrote: »
    Then what?

There will be a new government, but still the same old 20 billion euro hole in next year's budget...

My view is that it is very important that we have a general election because this problem to my mind is largely psycological in its origin. Ireland right now is literally constipated with anger, despair, fury, denial, unacceptance, rage and hopelessness.

All these emotions are running the country at the moment, at the most fundamental economic level, these emotions have stopped people from spending and this all started to happen around two years ago. It started off with people being nervous about buying houses, then it developed into people being afraid to go on holidays, then it continued on into retail sales, etc, and now we have a load of people who have lost their jobs because the country at this stage is utterly constipated with fear and hopelessness...

Just think about this for a second, you can't stop for 30 seconds to talk to someone in Ireland right now without doom and gloom being mentioned...

I think the key problem here is that the same people who we kind of thought all along were putting the vested interests of other people like developers and big businesses, way way ahead of the common good, when we were spending 4-5 hours a day commuting from Kells to Sandyford, who had us needing both people in a relationship to go to work to pay for the creche and the outrageous mortgage, the very same people who brought us the Celtic Tiger rat race, are now telling us that they are the people who are best positioned to help get us out of this hole that we knew all along they were driving us into at warp speed.

Unfortunately human psycology just doesn't work like this, in order to be able to have positive sentiments towards things, trust is a essential.

When I hear people talk about "us not trusting the government", I often get the impression that the statement isn't made in the proper context at all, and by that I mean that the psycological importance of the concept of trust is not what is being referred to when people say, "we don't trust the government"...

My view is that as long as we are looking at the same people who drove us into this catastrophic mess at warp speed over the last fifteen odd years, trying to convince us that they are managing the process of recovery, when all the evidence to the contrary to the opposite is mounting up on an hourly basis as more jobs are lost, more houses are repossessed, more people fall into poverty and more horror stories emerge on RTE every single day, then the more angry/constipitated we will get, and the worse will be the visit to the jacks when we eventually realise that we have a problem inside of ourselves that we have to let out...

I personally think that we need to make these protests in November count for something. We need to let the anger out, (I mean peacefully), we need to sit down outside the GPO and Leinster House and stay there and send this government a message that we hold them responsible for this calamity and we are not accepting their pathethic and outrageous version of events any longer. We need to tell them that they have caused the entire country to become constipated with pure fear and we want them out immediately, they are a disgrace to human existance.

I'm going into this protest in November with enough food in my backpack to do me for a few days and if it turns out that people start standing up to this government, I'll be well prepared to stay out long enough to make a difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

nurses and guards are very highly paid compared to thier counterparts in other european countries which are incedently richer than us , that is the only real barrometer we should be using when comparing the wages of nurses or guards

My god, if I hear one more ill-informed person quoting rubbish like this, I will scream!!!

I myself am a public sector worker. Last April, I was forced to take two pay cuts (the income levy and the pension levy) - fair enough, they need to cut back. I will be taking another pay cut in December.

Since April, I got a promotion at work. I am in a job where I should be earning 15k more a year (my wage is well below private sector equivalents at the moment!!), but instead, did not receive any pay increase, have had two pay cuts and a third on the way.

I am sick of hearing people babble on about rubbish they know nothing about. It's the top of the public/civil service that you should be targeting!! They're the one's earning far in excess of 100k per annum and their salaries have barely been touched. There should be a massive pay cut across the board for the top earning civil servants - bring all the CEO's of the semi-state bodies down to the same salary. Cut the University Presidents' salaries, they're earning far too much.

Don't you dare say that the likes of guards/nurses are earning far more than European counterparts. I have a friend, a guard, working in inner city Dublin and he's coming out with 190 a week net. Now can you tell me that's over paid?? Working in some of the roughest areas of the country, and coming out with less than someone sitting on their ar*se at home on the dole makes??????

Also, maybe the salaries are a bit higher than European counterparts, but our cost of living is far higher than most European countries!!!!

Learn your facts and stop spouting trash.

And stating for the fact, I am NOT a guard/nurse/teacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

mspacman wrote: »
    My god, if I hear one more ill-informed person quoting rubbish like this, I will scream!!!

I myself am a public sector worker. Last April, I was forced to take two pay cuts (the income levy and the pension levy) - fair enough, they need to cut back. I will be taking another pay cut in December.

Since April, I got a promotion at work. I am in a job where I should be earning 15k more a year (my wage is well below private sector equivalents at the moment!!), but instead, did not receive any pay increase, have had two pay cuts and a third on the way.

I am sick of hearing people babble on about rubbish they know nothing about. It's the top of the public/civil service that you should be targeting!! They're the one's earning far in excess of 100k per annum and their salaries have barely been touched. There should be a massive pay cut across the board for the top earning civil servants - bring all the CEO's of the semi-state bodies down to the same salary. Cut the University Presidents' salaries, they're earning far too much.

Don't you dare say that the likes of guards/nurses are earning far more than European counterparts. I have a friend, a guard, working in inner city Dublin and he's coming out with 190 a week net. Now can you tell me that's over paid?? Working in some of the roughest areas of the country, and coming out with less than someone sitting on their ar*se at home on the dole makes??????

Also, maybe the salaries are a bit higher than European counterparts, but our cost of living is far higher than most European countries!!!!

what you complaining about, be happy you have a job, alot of people dont

a guard earning 190 a week? get of it! most crazy lie i heard all day

• Advertisement

What I always find funny is that 30k is banded around by the nurses union as if its a pittance. Ive been in the workforce over 10 years and never earned anywhere near that amount.

And I would envisage that your guarda friend is either not working full time or is telling you what they are getting "net" after they pay their bills. His salary is barely over 10K ? Sounds a little odd !

I dont suppose he has a 2nd house that hes struggling to manage with ? I always find that sick when I hear people on radio shows saying they are struggling to service their 2nd houses ! To get a 2nd home you would of had to of been on a decent enough wage as it is.

The public service strike is all about the union misinforming their members into believing that there is actually a choice for the government.

One thing David Begg said is that the government have "time" to spread out the pain. The EU and OECD disagrees and all this serves to do is prolong the problems.

I dont blame certain sections of public service for being angry. But the fact of the matter is that theres nothing fair about a recession. Theres nothing fair about losing your job when you have worked hard for so long. Theres nothing fair about people losing over half their pension in the last 2 years. Theres nothing fair about honest people who rely on social welfare and childrens allowance who will are sweating it over how much will be taken off them in this budget!

Thats life . . Right now, most of us are getting our heads down and trying to just get on with it. There is a bigger picture that the militant unions fail to portray to their members. That is the effects civil unrest and an ignorant failure to accept that our financial situation is perilous, will have on how foreigners see our economy from an investment perspective (investment in jobs etc).

If Fianna Fail hold their ground and make the APPROPRIATE cuts in spending, I will have some sort of respect for them. They are in a superb position to tell the unions and their misinformed members where to go. They wont get re-elected so the least they can do is make the difficult decisions and do whats right by the country?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    what you complaining about, be happy you have a job, alot of people dont

a guard earning 190 a week? get of it! most crazy lie i heard all day

Erm excuse me, but the guard in question is just a year out of Templemore and he is taking home 190 a week!!!! Why would I lie?! It's the truth!!!! See that just proves my post above. You're in here to moan about the public sector - but you don't have a clue what you're talking about!

INFORM YOURSELF!!!!!!

And I'm not complaning about having to take pay cuts, I'm complaining that people do nothing but moan about the public sector, when I've already taken two pay cuts, and have a third on the way, like everyone else in the public sector.

I am EXTREMELY thankful that I have a job thank you very much!

Now go do some reading up...you need to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Erm excuse me, but the guard in question is just a year out of Templemore and he is taking home 190 a week!!!! Why would I lie?! It's the truth!!!! See that just proves my post above. You're in here to moan about the public sector - but you don't have a clue what you're talking about!

INFORM YOURSELF!!!!!!

And I'm not complaning about having to take pay cuts, I'm complaining that people do nothing but moan about the public sector, when I've already taken two pay cuts, and have a third on the way, like everyone else in the public sector.

where is the evidence?

if thats true then he should do the sensible thing and get a job in mcdonalds or go on the dole

but he wont

even if what you say is true (is he part of garda reserve or something?) then he has a foot in the PS and a nice cushy pension lined up for himself

Drumpot wrote: »
    What I always find funny is that 30k is banded around by the nurses union as if its a pittance. Ive been in the workforce over 10 years and never earned anywhere near that amount.

And I would envisage that your guarda friend is either not working full time or is telling you what they are getting "net" after they pay their bills. His salary is barely over 10K ? Sounds a little odd !

I dont suppose he has a 2nd house that hes struggling to manage with ? I always find that sick when I hear people on radio shows saying they are struggling to service their 2nd houses ! To get a 2nd home you would of had to of been on a decent enough wage as it is.

The public service strike is all about the union misinforming their members into believing that there is actually a choice for the government.

One thing David Begg said is that the government have "time" to spread out the pain. The EU and OECD disagrees and all this serves to do is prolong the problems.

I dont blame certain sections of public service for being angry. But the fact of the matter is that theres nothing fair about a recession. Theres nothing fair about losing your job when you have worked hard for so long. Theres nothing fair about people losing over half their pension in the last 2 years. Theres nothing fair about honest people who rely on social welfare and childrens allowance who will are sweating it over how much will be taken off them in this budget!

Thats life . . Right now, most of us are getting our heads down and trying to just get on with it. There is a bigger picture that the militant unions fail to portray to their members. That is the effects civil unrest and an ignorant failure to accept that our financial situation is perilous, will have on how foreigners see our economy from an investment perspective (investment in jobs etc).

If Fianna Fail hold their ground and make the APPROPRIATE cuts in spending, I will have some sort of respect for them. They are in a superb position to tell the unions and their misinformed members where to go. They wont get re-elected so the least they can do is make the difficult decisions and do whats right by the country?

Oh yes, my garda friend, well he lives in a 5million euro house in Dalkey, he's funding a home in Monte Carlo and one in Florida, he drives around in a lexus by day, a ferrari by night, he dines on cavier and champagne. SO yes, when you deduct all that, he comes out with 190 a week. Will you get over yourself!!!!!!!!!! No, i have seen his pay slips, his net income (on his pay slip!!!!) is 190 per week!!!!

Secondly, ok fair enough, a public sector pay cut was in order. But they need to slash the high earners' incomes. Then increase taxes across the board. It can't be all cut cut cut, it makes more sense, that we've had out pay cuts now, it's time for EVERYONE to feel the pain!!! Tax hikes, in the order of 2/3% or even 4% for the standard band and about 8/9% for the higher band.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    where is the evidence?

if thats true then he should do the sensible thing and get a job in mcdonalds or go on the dole

but he wont

even if what you say is true (is he part of garda reserve or something?) then he has a foot in the PS and a nice cushy pension lined up for himself

I'm sorry, but I'm going to ignore you from now on. You're blowing steam. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. How can I possibly prove it to you?!

It's the truth and you should just expect it.

And great work ethic you have btw. You long term unemployed? Not being smart, but that's sounds like the kind of attitude you have:

"he should do the sensible thing and get a job in mcdonalds or go on the dole"

He wants to be a guard. That what he loves. Why would he give up a job to sit around at home all day waiting for the dole paymnents to come through, when he actually has a job and is doing something that he loves?!

End of conversation with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mspacman, I know nothing about your work or your pay, so I cannot make an informed judgement about your position. But I don't accept your basic premise that only those at higher pay levels should bear the burden. It seems be part of a popular position that almost everybody shares: "yes, we need to deal with the exchequer deficit; the other guy should take the hit".

I think that we all need to share the burden. In one sense (one sense only -- don't overinterpret me) it doesn't matter whose fault it is. We are collectively in difficulty, and the decent thing is for us to act collectively to deal with it. We can go after the bad guys later.

I dislike crude approaches to things. I would like a measured approach. The type of measurement I would favour is a new round of benchmarking. If you, mspacman, are right in what you say about your situation, then you should escape without too much pain. For myself, I believe that a new round of benchmarking would reduce my public service pension, although probably by less than some of our more intemperate public service bashers would like.

Oh yes, my garda friend, well he lives in a 5million euro house in Dalkey, he's funding a home in Monte Carlo and one in Florida, he drives around in a lexus by day, a ferrari by night, he dines on cavier and champagne. SO yes, when you deduct all that, he comes out with 190 a week. Will you get over yourself!!!!!!!!!! No, i have seen his pay slips, his net income (on his pay slip!!!!) is 190 per week!!!!

Secondly, ok fair enough, a public sector pay cut was in order. But they need to slash the high earners' incomes. Then increase taxes across the board. It can't be all cut cut cut, it makes more sense, that we've had out pay cuts now, it's time for EVERYONE to feel the pain!!! Tax hikes, in the order of 2/3% or even 4% for the standard band and about 8/9% for the higher band.

Firstly, All I said was that it was a little odd.

Secondly if thats what Guards start on, why is he complaining ? He knew this when he started and the rewards for guards down the line are worth it. We have all had to work for peanuts when trying to get work experience. (I started on 12k a year!).

You see Im not dismissing anybodys struggles. Im struggling myself. But its when people feel they are entitled to avoid terrible pain, it bugs me. I think we are all feeling the pain and none of us like it. This country is in serious financial meltdown and we are relying on money to be given to us by other banks to keep our boat floating. Part of the terms and conditions of this money received is that we lower our costs immediatley. Unfortunatley for the public service and the social Welfare recipients the QUICKEST way to do this is by cutting their costs.

I agree that certainly in the public service they should HAMMER the top earners and leave the lower earners as much as possible. Theres always this concept that somehow in the public sector all the top people goto private jobs simply for the money. Top Execs in banks, medical or management in private companies havent exactly excelled outside of the public sector and lets be honest, the heads of many state bodies are completely uselss and/or negligent, yet are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money. The saying goes,"pay Peanuts get monkeys", well it feels like in many highly paid positions in the public service we pay gold and still get monkeys.

mspacman, I know nothing about your work or your pay, so I cannot make an informed judgement about your position. But I don't accept your basic premise that only those at higher pay levels should bear the burden. It seems be part of a popular position that almost everybody shares: "yes, we need to deal with the exchequer deficit; the other guy should take the hit".

I think that we all need to share the burden. In one sense (one sense only -- don't overinterpret me) it doesn't matter whose fault it is. We are collectively in difficulty, and the decent thing is for us to act collectively to deal with it. We can go after the bad guys later.

I dislike crude approaches to things. I would like a measured approach. The type of measurement I would favour is a new round of benchmarking. If you, mspacman, are right in what you say about your situation, then you should escape without too much pain. For myself, I believe that a new round of benchmarking would reduce my public service pension, although probably by less than some of our more intemperate public service bashers would like.

Yes see my last post. I agree that the pain should be felt by all. We should all have pay cuts within the public sector, but the fat cats need to take more a pay cut. Then bring in tax hikes across the board. The government can't just target one group and expect that to solve the problems. Bring in pay cuts - yes, save money. Increase taxes - yes, bring in more money!!!

Secondly, of course my pension will be effected by this. I will be working for at least the next two years, on my current salary - when i should be earning a substantially higher income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

jimmmy wrote: »
    I know plenty of overpaid people in the private sector too eg dentists, accountants. I do not think I am that unique in knowing plenty of people. Many of my friends , family ,clubmates, business contacts, sports friends, old school pals, and neighbours etc would know plenty of people too.

Back that up? I know in my firm everyone over 30k took 10% cut. also the starting salary for newly qualifieds has dropped from approx 55k to almost 40k.

and along with the paycut there was a pay freeze until 2010.. therefore 2 years of no paycuts and then lots of redundencies.

all the big firms are roughly the same situation and it was all over the news when the firms introduced this.

I rarely post in these threads but browse them occasionally but to be honest this thread is getting a bit ridiculous (from both sides tbh) with the blind assumptions and nonsense unbacked up by both sides.

Why is everyone fighting against each other? and yes the private sector has taken paycuts - a lot of the unemployment has come from where? public and private (but more private).

someone pointed out that the social welfare needs to be tackled... the Gov started trying to do this by cancelling christmas bonus... (why do you get a bonus for been unemployed anyway?) and the fuss was unbelievable. maybe we should all stick together and tackle EVERY area a little and share the burden rather than trying to lump it on everyone else with the attitude "cuts are needed, as long as its not me"

Generalisations only service to irritate everyone and foster the defense mechanism that all of these types of threads generate.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

INFORM YOURSELF!!!!!!

If he is fresh out of TempleMore as you say he will be on trainee's wages as he is a Trainee garda.

Once he sit's his exams after a few months in the field, he will be a fully fledged Garda and on proper Garda starting wages.

Trainee wage != starting garda wage.

<edit> your friends wages are those of a phase 1 student Garda.

Advertisement