Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector told 'strike and pay will be docked'

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Not too many courses out there where you get paid to learn. I believe nurses have the same benefit.
    The big IT consultancies do it regularly by placing inexperienced staff on government projects once they've secured the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The big IT consultancies do it regularly by placing inexperienced staff on government projects once they've secured the business.
    Do the big universities do it for the tens of thousands of students that pass through them each year? Not that I'm saying that paying trainee guards is a bad thing, but saying "the guards start at less than €200 a week" is not an accurate depiction of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Do the big universities do it for the tens of thousands of students that pass through them each year? Not that I'm saying that paying trainee guards is a bad thing, but saying "the guards start at less than €200 a week" is not an accurate depiction of reality.

Bear in mind that Police Forces in other countries pay their trainees 80% - 100% of their salary from day one.

Bear in mind that Police Forces in other countries pay their trainees 80% - 100% of their salary from day one.
    Which countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Front wrote: »
    If I pay into my pension, its an investment towards my retirement, but when Public sector are asked to pay into their pensions it's a levy or practically a paycut. Such Bull****.
    A good portion of my income is not reckonable for pension purposes yet I have to pay a "pension levy" on it. How would you explain that?

Not everyone in the PS benefits from a 'great' pension. Some lower non-officer grades in the PS who have very poor pensions are still levied at the same percentage as those on better pensions. Is that fair?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

MaceFace wrote: »
    Well I am not going to argue with "averages" as maybe there are Guards earning "more than a million" skewing the figures, but trainees earn €193 a week. When they get out of Templemore and still on probation they come out with something like €450 a week.
    Of course they go up over time and they have a lot of extras but it is nowhere near €1200 a week for the newly qualified.

its all very well throwing figures about but you dont honestly think any guard could possibley be earning a million quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not too many courses out there where you get paid to learn. I believe nurses have the same benefit.

Out of the four fun filled years, only one of those is paid, and that's not a full year, I would expect a major political party like yourselves to research their statements.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Out of the four fun filled years, only one of those is paid, and that's not a full year, I would expect a major political party like yourselves to research their statements.
    I'm not the one making the statements, I don't need to back them up. And I'd suggest you try to keep things on topic, I've already had the peanut gallery literally begging to be let off the hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

saying "the guards start at less than €200 a week" is not an accurate depiction of reality.
    So, what is the reality? You cannot justify this statement unless you know what the reality is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

So, what is the reality?
    Average pay of the Gardai is 1200 a week ( 60 k a year ). They can retire on full pension after only 30 years. Thats why there are retired cops around swanning between their different holiday homes + properties with a pension pot worth 1.3 million, and over 30 years life expectancy left. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

jimmmy wrote: »
    Average pay of the Gardai is 1200 a week ( 60 k a year ). They can retire on full pension after only 30 years. Thats why there are retired cops around swanning between their different holiday homes + properties with a pension pot worth 1.3 million, and over 30 years life expectancy left. ;)

And taxi driving, my old man is paying prsi after retirement so he will get the state pension on top of his generous garda pension, sweet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

omahaid wrote: »
    And taxi driving, my old man is paying prsi after retirement so he will get the state pension on top of his generous garda pension, sweet :D

Oh, he was eligible to retire on a full pension in his 40's

So, what is the reality? You cannot justify this statement unless you know what the reality is.
    When they get out of Templemore and still on probation they come out with something like €450 a week.
    Just one page back there. RTFT. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Just one page back there. RTFT. :D

What?
    I spoke to a Garda that has recently finished in Templemore and he told me that he is on something like 650 a week but comes out with 450. I assume the various levies are taking away from that.

It is still a hell of a way off from 1200 a week that is being spouted. That might be for someone with 10 years experience, but not for those with one or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

irish_bob wrote: »
    its all very well throwing figures about but you dont honestly think any guard could possibley be earning a million quid

No I most certainly don't but just like it being fashionable to bash developers and politicians it seems like it is the cool thing to do to bash ALL public servants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Nobody is bashing all public servants. For example, the half a dozen public servants in the Irish Independent two page article of 10th October 09 , and who compared Irish public sector wages with wages elsewhere, and who thought Irish public sector wages etc much too high ...I suspect the only people bashing them are the union types in the public service ?

What?
    I spoke to a Garda that has recently finished in Templemore and he told me that he is on something like 650 a week but comes out with 450. I assume the various levies are taking away from that.

It is still a hell of a way off from 1200 a week that is being spouted. That might be for someone with 10 years experience, but not for those with one or two.
    Yes, and the discussion at that point was about the amount the Guards start at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm not the one making the statements, I don't need to back them up. And I'd suggest you try to keep things on topic, I've already had the peanut gallery literally begging to be let off the hook.

:eek: Get you and your back seat modding. You stated you believed nurses had their education was paid for, I stated (factually) that 3 years of a nurses course they do it for zero money. So you can stand over your post because? Oh I see, if you say I believe, that's like a get out of jail free card.

:eek: Get you and your back seat modding.
    Eh you're the one that decided to play the man rather than the ball.
    You stated you believed nurses had their education was paid for, I stated (factually) that 3 years of a nurses course they do it for zero money.
    I didn't say they got paid for every year of education. As it turns out I was a bit hazy on the details of the Irish nursing course, fair enough, and thanks for the contribution.
    So you can stand over your post because? Oh I see, if you say I believe, that's like a get out of jail free card.
    If you say so.

Advertisement