Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John And Edward on X Factor

Options
  • 19-10-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

I've just looked up their "performance" from last weekend, as they were talking about it on Mooney's show (being presented by Aoengus today). As a singer myself, I would agree with Aoengus, they WERE out of tune in parts. Nothing against the two guys, but you have to look at the thing objectively.

I think putting them through to the live show is a really cynical gesture on the part of the X Factor people (particularly Cowell) to get the Irish vote.

MODs: sorry if this in the wrong place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I think putting them through to the live show is a really cynical gesture on the part of the X Factor people (particularly Cowell) to get the Irish vote.

Kind of a crazy scheme considering Republic of Ireland is not able to vote on the X Factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Irish people can't vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Walsh wrote: »
    Irish people can't vote.

Then I retract my conspiracy theory about the producers, and remain confused as to how they got through? Were they really good in the previous rounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 embermine

Yeah that does suck that Irish people cannot vote this year. That is a new thing. As of last year, we could.

Then I retract my conspiracy theory about the producers, and remain confused as to how they got through? Were they really good in the previous rounds?

God no, if anything they are getting a little better (But still horrible excuses for people).
    I reckon it was just a case of lets have some idiots in to get the controversy up. I would say more than a few people are watching to see how long the 2 incestuous freaks stay in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I think it's the entertainment purposes that people vote for them. Personally, I believe they are the worst from what is left. I'm not saying they're bad, just lack a singing talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

They were allowed through because they stand out and are controversial, and now they proved entertaining. So now people will have to decide whether to vote for some talented but boring singer or for the twins who can't sing for dear life but are good fun and are easy to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

On the X Factor thread over on the Reality TV Forum, it's generally accepted they're absolutely shocking singers.

But they're so oblivious to the fact and purely comical in their performances that they're more liked now than they were at the beginning.

I think people (myself included) just see this year's bunch of contestants as quite drab and dreary, John & Edward are just the entertaining train wreck!

PS - Ireland CAN vote using a sneaky number... details of it were in the aforementioned X Factor thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

people actually watched this?
    this is entertainment?

i want a time machine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Jazzy wrote: »
    people actually watched this?
    this is entertainment?

i want a time machine

destroys real tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

User45701 wrote: »
    destroys real tv

Brings enjoyment to millions of people, and makes money to subsidise production of "real" tv.
    basquille wrote: »
    think people (myself included) just see this year's bunch of contestants as quite drab and dreary, John & Edward are just the entertaining train wreck!

Even Simon seemed to enjoy them this week. Xfactor was always as much of a popularity contest as a singing contest, and they're bringing something to the show that no-one has before... a novelty act that have no idea they're a novelty act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

As a singer myself, I would agree with Aoengus, they WERE out of tune in parts.

Links to your music!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

They are like a double version of Brendan Kilkenny. Can't sing, can't dance, really irritating, but in a cringeworthy way, the performance last week was one of the funniest things I've seen on telly in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,238 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have to admit that I do watch the show.

The twins cannot sing, but that doesn't matter with a show
    like the X-Factor. It will use their lack of talent as a seller and I can
    guarantee that these lads will be in right to the end and should
    they be in the bottom two, the judges who have lambasted them, will
    still keep them in. The show is not about talnet or the best, it is all about
    viewers and money and fakeness.

It is the most contrived and staged show to ever hit television.

I hope they stay in. They are Irish, and although they cannot sing, they
    give me a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

embermine wrote: »
    Yeah that does suck that Irish people cannot vote this year. That is a new thing. As of last year, we could.

Em. No you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

SantryRed wrote: »
    Em. No you couldn't.

the year before that we could :).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Haven't really been watching it this year but it's hard not to be aware of the John & Edward.

It was wrecking my head as to who they reminded me of. Just realised today who it was. It's The Double Take Boys from the Harry Enfield Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

basquille wrote: »
    On the X Factor thread over on the Reality TV Forum, it's generally accepted they're absolutely shocking singers.

But they're so oblivious to the fact and purely comical in their performances that they're more liked now than they were at the beginning.

I think theyre fully aware they cant sing. how could they not be when its shouted at them from every media possible.

i used to hate them. was really annoyed they got through. theyre growing on me now though. dont want them to win, but think theyre hilarious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

As a singer myself, I would agree with Aoengus, they WERE out of tune in parts.

Gosh your fair nice to them :P
    I love 'em though as somebody said X Factor is full of boring people this year, they're keeping people watching.
    J&E, Joe and Ollie for the final please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 HH Chick

Ah sure there only kids and if anything they are soo enteraining!! :D Dont think they'l win but i think will still be in for another wk ar 2... i think Danyl should go next, all he did this wk was moan about how no one likes him, he'l never last in show biz if thats his carry on at only this early stage:cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

possibly the ghostbusters tune for jedward sat night. shud be good. come on J+E!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 HH Chick

OMG, that would be funny, whats the theme for sat night??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

HH Chick wrote: »
    OMG, that would be funny, whats the theme for sat night??

just songs from any film i think. so films i guess! a lot of places say this is what there doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Fair play to them.
    They're young guys, having fun and enjoying being on stage.

To be perfectly honest, they're not the most talented in the competition and I don't think they should win but I'm completely against people starting "We hate John and Edward" clubs on social networking sites or sending around petty text messages, saying they deserve to die.

That's just disgraceful - and completely unnecessary.

Fair play to them.
    They're young guys, having fun and enjoying being on stage.

To be perfectly honest, they're not the most talented in the competition and I don't think they should win but I'm completely against people starting "We hate John and Edward" clubs on social networking sites or sending around petty text messages, saying they deserve to die.

That's just disgraceful - and completely unnecessary.

They definitely don't deserve to die, just never be allowed in the public eye for fear of stoning.

I wouldn't mind them if I could avoid seeing them "Dance" awkwardly around a stage, but my GF always watches the stupid X-Factor :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

NothingMan wrote: »
    They definitely don't deserve to die, just never be allowed in the public eye for fear of stoning.

Why should they be stoned though? I can accept that people have different musical tastes, but I think people are taking the 'Jedward' bashing way too far.
    It's almost got to the stage where Hitler got an easier time of it than they are!

They are young, teenage boys who enjoy singing and performing. To hear people saying they deserve to be killed is disgusting.
    What are they doing wrong exactly? They haven't gone around killing small animals with their bare hands. They haven't gone on a killing spree, murdering hundreds of people. So, why are they getting so much stick?

If you don't like them, fine - turn off the TV and don't watch them, but I fail to see why people go to the extent of setting up 'hate' groups or sending around mass text messages, saying they should be shot. That's a bit much, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

but I think people are taking the 'Jedward' bashing way too far.

There ^^^ that's it....that one "word" sums up everything thats wrong with popular culture these days.

They are young, teenage boys who enjoy singing and performing.

Grand, fair enough, but they're not good at it. What ever happened to the people with real musical/dancing ability being the ones that actually sang/danced?

Ya dont see sh1te footballers playin for United (debatable i know but run with me on this!) so why should music be left in the hands of utter incompetents like them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Second highest amounts of votes last Saturday. They are popular, people want to be entertained, I love them, they are just good fun and put on a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Min wrote: »
    Second highest amounts of votes last Saturday. They are popular, people want to be entertained, I love them, they are just good fun and put on a great show.

No, no they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

coyle wrote: »
    Grand, fair enough, but they're not good at it. What ever happened to the people with real musical/dancing ability being the ones that actually sang/danced?

Ya dont see sh1te footballers playin for United (debatable i know but run with me on this!) so why should music be left in the hands of utter incompetents like them?

It's hardly music being left in the hands of people like this. If an artist is good enough in all aspects of performing then they don't need a show like X Factor to get themselves on the map, it's just simply one way of doing it. Having said that not all winners of XFactor/Pop Idol etc. have successful music careers either. These two lads are providing entertainment to thousands (maybe millions) in a show where there's no real shining star so I see nothing wrong with them staying in. They're not 'taking someone's place' either, the show would be at a huge loss without them imo.

Advertisement