Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog tooth plaque

Options
  • 19-10-2009 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

My dog had his teetch cleaned in vets a few weeks ago but already the plaque/tartar stuff is reforming on his back teeth. So I want to try and avoid having to brush his teeth every day. I've cut back on wet food and nearly always gets dry food. What products have people found work well for cleaning teeth. Is the raw bones while supervised the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Not what you want to hear but I've found that brushing my girls teeth everyday is much better than bones or products like Plague-Off etc. They do get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ours are fed on dry food only and still had a problem with build up, one has a sensative tum so bones and shop bought chews aren't suitable. So I tried the white bones you get in Tesco (the aldi ones are a bit too brittle) and the crows pretty much eat the middle out of it but the dogs chew away on the empty bone, I don't even have to fill it.

One seems to go straight for the bone every morning after her brekkie, I was at the stage where they'd have to go and get their teeth cleaned again but hate putting them through anesthetics unless it's really needed.
    From the white tesco (you can get them in the pet shop too) bones their teeth have improved big time. The little ones teeth were terrible totally covered in build up but within a couple of weeks they were white again.

Before that I used the Logic paste which can be effective if you stick with it, you don't need to brush it on you can just rub it onto the dogs teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Ours are fed on dry food only and still had a problem with build up, one has a sensative tum so bones and shop bought chews aren't suitable. So I tried the white bones you get in Tesco (the aldi ones are a bit too brittle) and the crows pretty much eat the middle out of it but the dogs chew away on the empty bone, I don't even have to fill it.

One seems to go straight for the bone every morning after her brekkie, I was at the stage where they'd have to go and get their teeth cleaned again but hate putting them through anesthetics unless it's really needed.
    From the white tesco (you can get them in the pet shop too) bones their teeth have improved big time. The little ones teeth were terrible totally covered in build up but within a couple of weeks they were white again.

Before that I used the Logic paste which can be effective if you stick with it, you don't need to brush it on you can just rub it onto the dogs teeth.

I'm going to get three of these bones tomorrow. The teeth of two of my dogs are in great nick (including those of the 10 year old) but the middle one has always had problems with plaque build-up and had to have 2 teeth removed a few weeks ago. If these bones can keep her teeth clean I'll definitely buy them.

What I can't understand is why there is such a variation with the dogs. The eldest hasn't had her teeth done in 3 years now and there seems to be no plaque. The youngest is nearly 2 and her teeth are the same. It's only the middle one's teeth which seem to be affected. They are all fed the same food and given the same treats.

Advertisement