Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to pay?

• 19-10-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am wondering - how much would you charge, or should I pay to buy photos of random people at various events around the Country.

It is for a website with a specific theme but just to get an idea on what I should be expecting to pay photographers.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Do your own market research from now on...

But here

http://www.sportingoccasions.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

ki wrote: »
    Do you own market research from now on...

But here

http://www.sportingoccasions.ie/index.html

No, I don't own market research ...

But thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's very confusing as to what you're actually looking for.

Do you want to hire a photographer/photographers?
    Do you just want to buy some prints?
    Do you want to buy images for online display?

What exactly do you want?

Sorry - I want to buy images for online display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

If it's for a website, one year non exclusive license, Irish based and not for resale, I'd say roughly 40-50 Euros :D

• Advertisement

OK thanks - thats a bit more than I was thinking.

I was thinking of about €10 max per photo as I would be happy with 'unknown' people in the pictures.

I would also be looking for regular photos from a number of people so it could build up. Maybe I need a rethink.

What sort of photos though? News/portraits/street/sports/landscape?

Anything from €20 up per image, depending on size, and license terms (non-exclusive, duration of display, credit, etc)

Paulw wrote: »
    What sort of photos though? News/portraits/street/sports/landscape?)

People on the street, at gigs, concerts - 'Out and About' theme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you will have to be wary of the context the photos will be in on the site - if you're using them to sell services, you'll need model releases for anyone recognisable. which will obviously ratchet up the price considerably.

You need to be more specific regarding the website or point to something vaguely similar on the net.

• Advertisement

I wont be using them to sell services. They will be used to spark discussion - anything from a persons hairstyle to where they go for coffee.

People would need to be told before hand and consent to the image being posted.

Covey wrote: »
    You need to be more specific regarding the website or point to something vaguely similar on the net.

http://stylescout.blogspot.com/2009/10/vintage-floral-moment.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

then you're talking about model releases, that pushes the price up, your common or garden Joe or Jane Soap won't like being criticsed for free either so they'll need some sort of payment I assume

Sounds like a good idea in theroy but it may not work out as cheap as you like. you mention where people like to go for coffee... that's advertising...

trishw78 wrote: »
    then you're talking about model releases, that pushes the price up, your common or garden Joe or Jane Soap won't like being criticsed for free either so they'll need some sort of payment I assume

Sounds like a good idea in theroy but it may not work out as cheap as you like. you mention where people like to go for coffee... that's advertising...

well not really - I am not looking for 'Models'. I am looking for Joe and Jill blogs. If they are happy to be snapped because they look great and dont mind getting pushed online ... great.

Its only advertising if I charge the coffee shop - which I don't intend to do.

In any event you need a model release form. Model doesn't mean "a Model", but rather someone who posed for the photo. This is to protect you as much as them and the photographer of course.

I presume you intend to make money in some way from the site?

yes - I mentioned in an earlier post that they would need to consent. I am not looking for people who make their living being a Model.

Sure, I understand.

However, from a photographers point of view, it's going to take more time (factor in an amount of rejections as well). Time is money, hence the price goes up!

Sure, I understand.

However, from a photographers point of view, it's going to take more time (factor in an amount of rejections as well). Time is money, hence the price goes up!

Thats fair enough - esp when it takes more time. I suppose I was hoping to build a panel of photographers who would send in 'opportunistic' shots when out and about. Maybe time for a rethink.

If you're looking to do it on the cheap, why not do it yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

If you're looking to do it on the cheap, why not do it yourself?

This would seem to be the best way to get the results you seem to want.

The site you reference as close to what you are trying to do seems to have a "team" of at least 3 people involved. That might be the way to go with this find a couple or more of like minded people and give it a go.

• Advertisement

LOOKIHERE wrote: »
    Its only advertising if I charge the coffee shop - which I don't intend to do.

No, you're incorrect there. Even without charging it's advertising.

Anyway, it seems that you really haven't thought through the complex issues involved here.

You can't just photograph random people and use the images relating to any form of advertising or reference to a commercial service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Paul and many others here are correct, any person recognisable within a photograph whether posed or unposed needs consent for the shot, i.e. model release, this does not mean they earn money from posing for shots, it could be e walking down the street without knowledge but the fact is as soon as you use the image commercially then you need their permission to use the shot.

So in essence, if you were to approach me and ask to buy an image from my portfolio for personal use that would be fair enough, but if you were to approach me and buy an image for use on a website I would then need to contact the person(s) within that shot and obtain their permission for the shot to be sold for these purposes. This would mean I will obviously have to charge extra for the extra time I spend tracking the people, arranging the model release and also if required requesting any fee the model (term used loosly as mentioned anyone walking on the street will be regarded as model) wishes to charge to allow you to use an image of them.

Now in all honesty if you were to be getting images such as these for €10 I reckon you'd be more than lucky but I would question whether you have the rights to use them in the terms you wish too. Also remember, if you were to skip the model release part you could land yourself in very very hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Jeez so much hogwash to go thru when you want something, it'd just be easier to do the photographs yourself.
    Sometimes on this site I know people are just trying to explain all the pitfalls but it always looks like they're knocking down people who come to this forum looking for photographs.

That can be true animal but in this case I think the op needs to understand what they are looking for, i.e. a photographer to take random pictures of strangers and give them over to be dissected by forum members (thats the jist I'm getting) re hair clothes etc. From a photographers point of view no way would I take that on without what I mentioned above.

For what the op wants he is prob best doing it himself but should really think about model release. Can anyone else here recall an article recently about a photo of an american couple being used in Amsterdam or similar as a supermarket advertisement? As far as I recall a friend of the couple spotted the pic on holiday, now I knwo I wouldnt be best impressed if a picture of me turned up on line knowingly uploaded without model release with the intention of critcal comments on my appearance..... If he is looking for advice he needs to take advice like that on board if he wants to be successful in his venture and not get himself in trouble, all comments made by myself here are in the best interest of the op and in no way to deter him from his intentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thats business Janer, plain and simple. We could go "yeah buy them for a tenner and off you go, heres one of Janer and you end up advertising big mac's!! :) "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I would be disowned by the Punk community!

Jeez so much hogwash to go thru when you want something, it'd just be easier to do the photographs yourself.
    Sometimes on this site I know people are just trying to explain all the pitfalls but it always looks like they're knocking down people who come to this forum looking for photographs.

Even when you do it all yourself, you'll still need model release forms signs.

While you may be able to do what you want, without doing it properly, people in here have a very good idea of the proper way of doing it, and of the pitfalls. It's better to do it right, rather than have it come back and bite you later.

Thanks all for the feedback. Just coming back on where I got to on this:

I met a good few photographers who were happy to send me photos of random people at €10 that they snap out and about on a 'by happenchance' basis. 2 of them are going to target 5-10 per week.

I also took some snaps myself and people were happy to go up on the site without me needing to sign forms, agree release contracts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I can hear the solicitors sharpening the pencils, caveat emptor for yourself.

• Advertisement

If I had any money I would buy a large eraser to ward them off. :)

My only adivce to you is to be very very careful in what you are doing here. I mean if a pic of me ended up on a site for people to pick me apart on my looks and style etc I wouldnt be a happy bunny and both yourself and the photographer would be hearing a lot from me.

I wont be allowing comments thru - maybe positive ones, but thats it.
    But I do appreciate where your coming from.

LOOKIHERE wrote: »
    I wont be allowing comments thru - maybe positive ones, but thats it.
    But I do appreciate where your coming from.

Cool, as long as you understand that we are trying to advise you in a good way not knock you down, coincidentally, if these photographers can promise you 5-10 images per week of happen chance shots of people in public how can they be 'happen-chance'?

Happen chance is not as difficult as it sounds.

Advertisement