Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would the IMF approve of 200 people in Met Eireann, at an annual cost of 23 million ?

Options
  • 19-10-2009 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

How many people does it take to predict the weather ?

Met Eireann, according to themselves, have a staff of 200, and an annual budget of around €23m. Its currently recruiting a director ( € 139 k to € 159k, with 31 days holidays a year, in case you are interested ). http://www.publicjobs.ie

We are a small enough country. Much is done by computers nowadays....we can get a very detailed forecast online free by by going in to foreign forecasting services.

Compared to the existing situation, and considering the countries finances, does anyone else think an equally good job could be done by Met Eireann , employing 100 people ? And at say 8 million annual cost instead of 23 million for the 200 people ?

To compare the situation with our nearest neighbour, a country of nearly twenty times the population, they say they ( the UK met office )
    " employ around 1,800 people at 60 sites across the world
    450 work in Research Science
    730 in Forecasting and Observations
    290 in IT
    40 in sales marketing and business development
    280 in corporate and business support functions like Human Resources, Finance, Procurement and Communications.
    Overseas locations include the Falkland Islands, Ascension Island, Gibraltar, Cyprus and Germany.
    work with the RAF in Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan and Qatar."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/recruitment/worktypes.html

If the IMF moves in ( as Minister Harney said is possible in the next 2 years ), will they impose cuts on otherwise forgotten areas of our p.s. like the met service ? If we look after the cents , maybe the euros will look after themselves ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bloody government. No wonder its always raining.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

We have more weather than anybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its daft, TG4 use a company called Weather Services International in Birmingham (England, not Alabama) for their weather data I imagine they get it as about as right as RTE1 & 2 do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I see they start at 25 annual leave days a year. More than the Irish Civil Service starts on.

And all this stuff too
    Other benefits include:

•salary sacrifice schemes for a bike to work or childcare vouchers
    •allowances for certain jobs, tasks or locations — shift working, weekend working, working in London.
    •a library
    •staff well being and support services
    Facilities at our headquarters

•Well-equipped gym and fitness suite
    •Shop and cash-point facility
    •Two coffee shops and a restaurant
    •Met Office Sports and Social Association which provides a range of subsidised recreational activities.

You're right jimmmy, when are the Irish public servants gonna get this stuff?

Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

jimmmy wrote: »
    If we look after the cents , maybe the euros will look after themselves ?

How does Met Eireann compare to a country you know a lot about - Finland? How many people do the Finns employ and what's the Budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Nooooooooo

Not more ps bashing, jimmmy style.

Change the record jimmmy. It's getting a bit predictable.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

How does Met Eireann compare to a country you know a lot about - Finland? How many people do the Finns employ and what's the Budget?
    540-600 people for a population of 5.3 million, with a budget of €30m+. When will those reckless Finns learn! ;)
    The Finnish Meteorological Institute ( or simply FMI) is the government agency responsible for gathering and reporting weather data and forecasts in Finland.

The number of full-time staff of the Finnish Meteorological Institute is about 540. Permanent staff members account for about 2/3 of the Institute's personnel and those with contractual posts account for the remainder. The Institute operates in on a round-the-clock basis and about 30 percent of the full-time staff work in shifts.
    http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Finnish_Meteorological_Institute
    http://www.fmi.fi/organization/annual.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

mike65 wrote: »
    Its daft, TG4 use a company called Weather Services International in Birmingham (England, not Alabama) for their weather data I imagine they get it as about as right as RTE1 & 2 do.

where do you think they get their raw data from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

An effectiant office is important.
    And if you consider how important the weather is to farmers, you'd see why 5 minutes on a broadcast after the new forcast isn't good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

540-600 people for a population of 5.3 million, with a budget of €30m+. When will those reckless Finns learn! ;)
    It's 38.9 million. Nearly double the budget of Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

dresden8 wrote: »
    And all this stuff too
    Other benefits include:

•salary sacrifice schemes for a bike to work or childcare vouchers
    Innovative use of tax breaks to provide employee benefits. Very progressive
    •allowances for certain jobs, tasks or locations — shift working, weekend working, working in London.

All pretty normal here. If my employer asked me to live and work in London, I'd be looking for an allowance.
    •a library
    Excellent idea. Cheap as chips to run. Encourages employees to keep up to date with relevant material. A no brainer.
    •staff well being and support services
    staff well being - we can't be having that:rolleyes:
    Facilities at our headquarters

•Well-equipped gym and fitness suite
    Is it free, subsidised?
    •Shop and cash-point facility
    Handy. And probably an income stream for the Met
    •Two coffee shops and a restaurant
    Ditto.
    •Met Office Sports and Social Association which provides a range of subsidised recreational activities.
    Not unusual in large organisations. A good perk 'though.

I can't see anything much wrong with this. I'm all for a bit of public sector bashing, but this is scraping the barrel.

This is all stuff that the Finns would approve of.:)

dvpower wrote: »
    I can't see anything much wrong with this. I'm all for a bit of public sector bashing, but this is scraping the barrel.
    Just to clarify, those benefits you are quoting are from the UK Met Office, not Met Eireann.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/recruitment/benefits.html

Met Eireann, according to themselves, have a staff of 200, and an annual budget of around €23m. Its currently recruiting a director ( € 139 k to € 159k, with 31 days holidays a year, in case you are interested ). http://www.publicjobs.ie

We are a small enough country. Much is done by computers nowadays....we can get a very detailed forecast online free by by going in to foreign forecasting services.

Compared to the existing situation, and considering the countries finances, does anyone else think an equally good job could be done by Met Eireann , employing 100 people ? And at say 8 million annual cost instead of 23 million for the 200 people ?

A couple of minutes research could have led you to an informed post on this, Jimmy, instead of the usual PS bashing that you like to engage in.

From www.met.ie you could have looked at the latest annual report on the site for 2006, where they have a breakdown of their income and expenditure for that year

http://www.met.ie/publications/MET_06_ENGLISH.pdf

or

http://www.met.ie/publications/MET_06_IRISH.pdf
    which you will see has a net cost of €12.3 million, which is based on 222 staff (since reduced).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Absurdum wrote: »
    which you will see has a net cost of €12.3 million, which is based on 222 staff (since reduced).
    The public sector itself has just said that in Autumn 09 it has " a staff of 200, and an annual budget of around €23m ". You can read this yourself on http://www.publicjobs.ie/, as well as other info on Met Eireann, and the job it is advertising there. I know public expenditure practically doubled in ten years , but in Met Eireann did it really increase from 12.3 million in 2006 to 23 million today ?

I wonder could 100 people tell the forecast for Ireland as well as 200 people ?

The public sector itself has just said that in Autumn 09 it has " a staff of 200, and an annual budget of around €23m ". You can read this yourself on http://www.publicjobs.ie/, as well as other info on Met Eireann, and the job it is advertising there. I know public expenditure practically doubled in ten years , but in Met Eireann did it really increase from 12.3 million in 2006 to 23 million today ?

I wonder could 100 people tell the forecast for Ireland as well as 200 people ?

There are not 200 forecasters in Met Eireann, or 100 for that matter. Again may I refer you to their annual reports.

And while you're at it, find out the difference between a budget and the net cost to the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

mike65 wrote: »

So the taxpayer is subsidising both TG4 and Met Eireann, and then TG4 pay a British company for its weather forecasts. What ever happened to "Buy Irish" ?

From the figures posted by Absurdum above, it seems to me that they run a pretty tight ship in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We have more weather than anybody else.

Yeah and all of it is sh**e :mad:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Finnish_Meteorological_Institute
    http://www.fmi.fi/organization/annual.html

Have you ever been to Finland, do have any idea how large the country is in comparison to our little island, nevermind the 26 counties we run ?
    It's 38.9 million. Nearly double the budget of Met Eireann.

Again look at an Atlas and check out how large a country Finland is :rolleyes:

With regard to something like weather forecasting you can't compare based on population size, but base comparisons on geographical size or maybe some of the people around here reckon that Singapore shoudl have huge met service for their state based on their population :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

jmayo wrote: »
    With regard to something like weather forecasting you can't compare based on population size
    Of course it's a pointless comparison. But that comparison was the premise on which the OP's "argument" was based on.

But land mass might not be a particularly good measure either. A more useful comparison would be look at a country's dependence on certain weather-sensitive activities, such as agriculture or forestry, and look at how having an accurate indigenous meteorological service benefits those industries.

A more useful comparison would be look at a country's dependence on certain weather-sensitive activities, such as agriculture or forestry.
    Agriculture is very important to our economy, as we have 30,000 people in the dept of Agriculture for not much more than 100,000 full time farmers.
    With 200 people in met Eireann, ye think they could change the weather instead of just saying " scattered showers + sunny spells";)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

jmayo wrote: »
    Again look at an Atlas and check out how large a country Finland is :rolleyes:

With regard to something like weather forecasting you can't compare based on population size, but base comparisons on geographical size or maybe some of the people around here reckon that Singapore shoudl have huge met service for their state based on their population :rolleyes:

Belgium with a land mass with is less than half of our employ a similar number of people: http://www.meteo.be/meteo/view/en/478309-Introduction.html

Also I would imagine the Sea Area Forecast produced by Met Eireann represent a significant proportion of their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

QUOTE]

Weather in ireland is sh*te and will be sh*te.

This weather forecast was free btw.

But it is not only the weather forecast you see on tv they are busy with, i suppose. Shipping, agriculture, they all need those forecasts to run their business.

inforfun wrote: »
    But it is not only the weather forecast you see on tv they are busy with, i suppose. Shipping, agriculture, they all need those forecasts to run their business.

Aviation more so than shipping. But some people here seem to think that a 15 second slot on the radio is all they do ;)

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Also I would imagine the Sea Area Forecast produced by Met Eireann represent a significant proportion of their business.
    Is it a business when they do not sell the information ? More of a service paid by the taxpayer. Who if he wants a sea area forecast, can ( and often does ) listen to the BBC shipping forecast instead, or log on to numerous free sites such as www.magicseaweed.com

Essesntially, seeing as the government is looking for 4 billion of cuts ( at least ) in the coming budget, I just wonder where the cuts would be best made....of course nobody wants them made in their own dept. Could 20% ( for example ) be taken off the Met service and the weather still be predicted as accurately as before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Budget is not the same as cost. While ME does have a budget of €22m, it makes back about €10m in Aviation charges, RTE, Weatherdial, etc, so the cost to the exchequer is €12m. Read the details for 2007 on page 36 of their Annual Report.

And as Absurdum points out, where do you think the online forecasts get their raw observational data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Is it a business when they do not sell the information ?

Its a vital public service for our fishing and leisure industry which is comparatively large compared to other EU states. Understand 'business' in this instance as meaning what they do rather than a direct economic activity. e.g. The Gardai are in the business of stopping crime.

In light of the fact that you initial figure were wrong and subsequently international comparisons have your changed your opinion about the efficiency of the service?

Could 20% ( for example ) be taken off the Met service and the weather still be predicted as accurately as before ?

In a word, no. If it is at the cost of, say, having to abort a search and rescue mission because there are no forecasters available, then I think most people would prefer the relatively small cost to the state. That's not to say that some savings can't be made, of course, but that is something that can be applied right across the board.

In light of the fact that you initial figure were wrong

My initial figures wrong ? They were "copied and pasted" from the governments own website
    Met Eireann, according to themselves," have a staff of 200, and an annual budget of around €23m."

You think those figures are wrong ?
    and subsequently international comparisons

Where our neighbouring country spends far less per head of population on its Met service, even though it forecasts worldwide
    have your changed your opinion about the efficiency of the service?

The efficiency of the service - or not as the case may be - is dependant on the quality of its service at what cost. As said before, seeing as the government is looking for 4 billion of cuts ( at least ) in the coming budget, I just wonder where the cuts would be best made. Do you think Eurokraut, could 20% or 40% be taken off the to the taxpayer of running the Met service and the weather still be predicted as accurately as before ? Could it even be run on a commercial basis. We all know how efficient state monopolies are when they have little or no competition. eg look at Aer Lingus before Ryanair came along.

My initial figures wrong ? They were "copied and pasted" from the governments own website
    Met Eireann, according to themselves," have a staff of 200, and an annual budget of around €23m."

You think those figures are wrong ?

Hi again Jimmy, you seem to have some trouble reading my posts because I already asked you to check out the difference between a budget and the net cost to the exchequer. Note posts 14 and 16 above please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Would it be fair to say that weather presenter Jean Byrne's "Assets" are worth more to the public than the costs of Met Eireann??

• Advertisement

Absurdum wrote: »
    Hi again Jimmy, you seem to have some trouble reading my posts because I already asked you to check out the difference between a budget and the net cost to the exchequer. Note posts 14 and 16 above please.
    Hi again Absurdum, I can assure you I have no trouble reading your posts. When the government website says it has " a staff of 200, and an annual budget of around €23m." I quote that and leave it at that. You go off on a tangent wondering about net cost if you want. The serious issue affecting the country is the 25 billion the country is borrowing this year just to keep the show on the road. Could it even be run on a commercial basis? As said before, we all know how efficient state monopolies are when they have little or no competition. eg look at Aer Lingus before Ryanair came along.

Advertisement