Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Wexford Town

Options
  • 19-10-2009 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Anybody interested in giving their opinion on shopping in Wexford Town? I am a post-grad student who is doing research regarding the retail sector in the town.
    Are Wexford towns-people travelling to other towns to shop? If so why?:confused:
    Any views will be much appreciated. :)

Comments

Its ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Better than it was 3-4 years ago but still crap, alot of wexford people go to Waterford or Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭karlkavo

Yeah. only in the last few years have some decent shops come in but its still crap. Wexford really needs a Mall like Dundrum, Liffey valley or Jervis centre. The problem is the town is too small, the shops are all old family run and parking can be a nightmare. There should be a Mall built in Drinagh were the cinema & McDonalds are to keep it all central. Badly needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Agree to a certain extent with Karlkavo however are family run shops all a bad thing? I personally think that having independent stores is fantastic providing greater choice/competition (in theory).....
    in practice many of the family stores are struggling however ...could be partly due to competition but IMO mainly to do with taking their eye off the ball....whilst everyone (well most people) likes a local shop and wants to support it they must remain price competitive and offer choice...something I think they are struggling to do.

I would hate to see another 12 generic stores open up....the town would be just like many others. Now over in Drinagh if the likes of Next/M&S...etc want to open up then I say good luck to em - an out of town shopping mall offering different choice...just don;t erode what is a great town ....yes I am a blow in by the way and in the past used to having all the shops you could want on my doorstep....- maybe others have differing opinions...I just don;t miss too many shops that aren;t here. (probably saves me money by not being able to go to them regularly as well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Only town in South east without a "real" covered over Shopping Centre.
    Kilkenny, Carlow, Waterford and even Arklow have proper ones, Wexford never moved with the times and redeveloped part of the Town Centre as the aforementioned have all done.
    There are good, nice locally owned shops in Wexford which is something I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭secman

Being from Dublin , "shopping Malls" as you call them are grossly over rated. I really enjoy walking down the long meandering main street in Wexford town. The OH really enjoys it, especially the many many small one off boutiques, coffee shops etc. I hate shopping with a passion, OH really struggles to get me next or near Shopping Centre, will only go at 8:30 ish with a view to be out by 9:30ish, but dont' mind going to Wexford town at all.
    Just an alternative view point !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Badabing wrote: »
    Better than it was 3-4 years ago but still crap, alot of wexford people go to Waterford or Dublin.
    People really travel from Wexford to shop in Waterford? As a Wexford native, living in south Kilkenny with the missus I can tell you she loves going to Wexford at anytime instead of Waterford. Waterford has absolutely nothing in the town centre and Wexford blows it away for clothes shops alone. Granted Wexford has no shopping centre but to put something like that in the centre of the town would be an eyesore, we should be happy with our "quirky" narrow streets and our one long main street that's always a nice walk along. Sure a centre outside of the town is an idea but there's buckets of character in the town as is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Data_Quest

mfitzy wrote: »
    Only town in South east without a "real" covered over Shopping Centre.
    Kilkenny, Carlow, Waterford and even Arklow have proper ones, Wexford never moved with the times and redeveloped part of the Town Centre as the aforementioned have all done.
    There are good, nice locally owned shops in Wexford which is something I like.

Do you really want another Bridgewater in Wexford town? IMO Wexford quirky small shops beats Arklow's generic multi-national fare any day. Arklow's main street has been badly impacted by the new shopping centre (e.g. the book shop closed down a few months ago). I personally don't want the same to happen to Wexford but I suppose that the inevitable is likely to happen: i.e. every UK town centre is the virtually the same with the exact same multi-national shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

as shopping experiences go Wexford is the Jewel of the South East IMO

instead of havin a Generic 'Mall' type building we are probably one of the last towns in the Western world that has a Main Street with proper shops and stuff.

Seriously, make a list of things you want, then starting at Dunnes in Redmond square work your way down to Lowneys mall (actually theres an example of how the 'Mall' experience fails in Wexford, theres just no call for it ), if you cant find what you are lookin for at that point you've mised something, ask a local for directions to an outlet that sells your desired item.

If you still cant find what you want then Fair enough your tstes are rather exotic, but hey the sky and the ground aint that far away go have a Pint and reevaluate your life priorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cupcakes_mcgee

Shopping in Wexford is fairly average. They fail to cater for smaller sizes with the exception of one or two shops. Usually have to go to Dublin to shop especially for shoes. The shoe shops in Wexford never seem to have your size in. Dublin tends to have a wider variety.

• Advertisement
Advertisement