Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stations on Met.ie

Options
  • 19-10-2009 5:11pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just noticed the addition of Sherkin Island and Mace Head on Met.ie - http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp - very useful additions imo. Both these stations will be really interesting in winter storms.

Also Gurtenn has been added (near Roscrea, Co. Tipp [afaik]), which appears to have replaced Birr? This is a bit of pity as it is a loss of another 'historic' station.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I just noticed the addition of Sherkin Island and Mace Head on Met.ie - http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp - very useful additions imo. Both these stations will be really interesting in winter storms.

Also Gurtenn has been added (near Roscrea, Co. Tipp [afaik]), which appears to have replaced Birr? This is a bit of pity as it is a loss of another 'historic' station.

If Birr is gone for good it's a shame! Birr usually gave us some of the coldest temps during cold spells! :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Good to see a station from Galway on the Met reports at last :). I agree with earlier comments that reports from Birr will be a real sad loss if they are to be stopped. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

patneve wrote: »
    If Birr is gone for good it's a shame! Birr usually gave us some of the coldest temps during cold spells! :mad::(

I understand that the station at Birr was being surrounded by urban development, and it was a good time to move site and set up an automatic station nearby. But yes, it is a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I still miss Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

So could someone be kind and reveal exactly where Gurteen is? Thank you in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

So could someone be kind and reveal exactly where Gurteen is? Thank you in advance.

I'd be very surprised if it's not Gurteen Agricultural College

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That seems right, I couldn't get that reference from my own google search and so basically it is Birr relocated slightly. Should be good for snow and frost reports then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I notice that daily data from both Mace Head and Sherkin Island not being posted up on the "Yesterday's Weather" page. I wonder if there is any plans to do this in the future?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mace Head is around 25 years old , very robust with a long timeline of hard data and owned by NUIG not the Met.

It was largely set up properly as part of The Star Wars project and not as a meteorological station per se . NUIG gave ole Ronnie a PHD in 1984 and he never forgot them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

nilhg wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if it's not Gurteen Agricultural College

Yup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement