Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach Fishing

Options
  • 19-10-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,

I've reently gotten into beach fishing but have yet to catch anything except seaweed. I must be doing something drastically wrong because i've fished at least 5 times in the last two months to no avail.

We've been casting out mackeral strips on a set up i think is called a single hook paternoster, but like i said , no luck.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

where you fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

as wayne said ^^^

also there are number of ways of catching bream... I had good success last night with a sliding feeder rig and red maggot . I find for the bigger bream a worm works well on same rig. I had 4 bream and about 10 roach last night . Bream were ranging from 2-4 lb..

If it's seaweed your catching your in the wrong place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

what are you talking about bream??:confused: He siad beach fishing, I know you can catch sea bream, but wouldn't be using maggots or a feeder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

lol was sure it said Bream Fishing.... lol

I'll leave post up for entertainment/information purposes..

Should have went to specavers! actually maybe they weren't bream afterall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Hi, there are a number of things you need to consider to catch fish. They won't always work and I've actually caught when I had none of these combinations but thats fishing.
    1. Bait - Generally try to use the bait that the fish would feed on in the area. Ragworm, Lugworm, Maddies, Crab are all live bait that can be used around the country (with a few exceptions). Use the freshest bait possible. Mackerel can be a great bait but to maximise potential catch rates then worm with mack tends to be best. Or a cocktail of the above.
    2. Bait presentation - Try to get it to look as lifelike as possible. A baiting needle for worm and bait (shirring) elastic for other baits such as crab and razor to keep them on the hook.
    3. Terminal Tackle - Having the right end tackle can make all the difference. I personally use fluorocarbon hook snoods with anything from a size 4 to a 4/0 good quality hook, depending on the species I'm going for and the bait I'm using. Also 2 or 3 hook paternosters are useful to try a few different baits to see which work. They also have the added bonus of increasing the scent trail that a lot of fish use to feed by.
    There are a few other things but gimme a PM if you need any help. Also try http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/ Its a really useful site

• Advertisement
Advertisement