Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seperate hob and oven wiring

Options
  • 19-10-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Want to get rid of existing cooker and replace it with induction hob and a single eye level oven (rated 3.6 kW).

Question is do I NEED a seperate cooker switch for the oven (which will be too far away from hob to be connected to the existing cooker switch.
    Or can you connect oven to its own circuit / fused spur without cooker switch?

If there is a switch - my wife will use it to turn it off all the time... what is the point in this fancy timer programms when you loose all that when flicking the cooker switch.

Thanks
    WD

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Afaik, the idea of having a cooker switch is so you can isolate it in the event that it goes on on fire or something (which would be a good idea before you try and tackle the fire) so yes, I'd put external isolation on it.

I'm not current on domestic regs so that's just common sense talking.

Does the missus unplug the TV and video at night as well? Tell her it's the same thing as that (as regards losing the time / settings etc) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Thanks Steve,
    common sense is one thing, but is it an actual regulation as well?

Yes she switches off TV and stuff. only those are designed to keep time / settings for a while.
    (I suppose she was brought up to flick the switch.. to me coming from the continent - those isolation switches were completely alien to me when I moved here.. )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As I said, I'm not sure about current regs - last time I looked it was mandatory but that's a few years back.. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable here can clear it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

From Annex 43A in ET101

"b) Separate ovens and hobs
    Where the oven and hob are separate appliances, a common supply and isolator may be used provided the appliances are within 2m of one another. If they are more than 2m apart, oven and hob must be on separate circuits and isolation; in this case 4mm2 copper conductor is adequate for each circuit."

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

thanks cornet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

also note that if they are both within 2M that "each part of the circuit complies with the fault loop impedance value appropriate to the overcurrent device, e.g.,0.9ohms for a 32A MCB"

Advertisement