Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MULTIMEDIA STUDENTS..

• 19-10-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm currently in 6th year, thinking of doing multimedia next year. Just wondering how it is, is it worth it and what kind of things you do in first year and so on. any information is appreciated. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

well you get to spend the year on facebook using a Mac boasting to your 500 friends about how radical and 'with the times' you are while eating expensive Panninis from the coffee shop and sipping a caramelatte.

Then when you go home you spend the evening experimenting with illicit drugs and obscure sexual practices and if anyone says anything to you about it you start a big spiel about how you are just expressing yourself and gaining 'valuable life experience' and should be left to do what you want no matter how retarded the said activity might be.

multimedia these days is basically web design, everyone and their dog is a web designer now so unless you are the best of the best and up with the latest HTML and Java**** abuse to waste bandwidth and make web browsers do things they were never designed to do they will just pay some Indian lad with a girlfriend called Latika to do the job for them at 1/10th the price

/gets coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paul.walsh.44

Don't listen to Dankoozy, my bro is currently doing his masters and web design was only part of the course (and he has made a packet designing web sites for people). You'll also do a lot of work in the school of music, in the recording studios, you learn a lot about sensors, graphic design and a lot more as well. Its seems like a really good course to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Dankoozy, why do you have such a thing against the multimedia course in cit? Why should you even give a s*it? The majority of your posts here seem to be taking the piss out of multimedia students, it's getting boring. And what the hell is a caramelatte?

Anyway. Modules for the course can be found here. But the descriptions there aren't great.

In first year you will basically be doing an introduction to web design (html, css, javascript), a bit of graphic design, animation, film, sociology, photography, and music technology at the school of music. Oh and a class where you learn about technology, like how computers work/sound is recorded etc..

It does actually get tough. It's about 80% project work. Not many exams.

Ask me if you want to know anything else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Dankoozy wrote: »
    Then when you go home you spend the evening experimenting with illicit drugs and obscure sexual practices

Sounds good, sign me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Dankoozy, why do you have such a thing against the multimedia course in cit? Why should you even give a s*it? The majority of your posts here seem to be taking the piss out of multimedia students, it's getting boring. And what the hell is a caramelatte?

Anyway. Modules for the course can be found here. But the descriptions there aren't great.

In first year you will basically be doing an introduction to web design (html, css, javascript), a bit of graphic design, animation, film, sociology, photography, and music technology at the school of music. Oh and a class where you learn about technology, like how computers work/sound is recorded etc..

It does actually get tough. It's about 80% project work. Not many exams.

Ask me if you want to know anything else. :)

Thanks a million. Yeah it sounds pretty good like I'm interested in all that kinda stuff. Just cant decide between multimedia in cit or computer science in ucc. Driving me mad!

• Advertisement

Dankoozy wrote: »
    well you get to spend the year on facebook using a Mac boasting to your 500 friends about how radical and 'with the times' you are while eating expensive Panninis from the coffee shop and sipping a caramelatte.

Then when you go home you spend the evening experimenting with illicit drugs and obscure sexual practices and if anyone says anything to you about it you start a big spiel about how you are just expressing yourself and gaining 'valuable life experience' and should be left to do what you want no matter how retarded the said activity might be.

multimedia these days is basically web design, everyone and their dog is a web designer now so unless you are the best of the best and up with the latest HTML and Java**** abuse to waste bandwidth and make web browsers do things they were never designed to do they will just pay some Indian lad with a girlfriend called Latika to do the job for them at 1/10th the price

/gets coat

Have to say, that was quite an entertaining read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Dankoozy is just jealous he's not a multimedia student, that's his problem!!!

Multimedia is more of a practical course- we do a lot of projects. This semester (2nd year) we're directing a short film, doing audio-video synchronization, making 2 websites through flash and html/css, we've to make a pitch to get funding for an animation and create a music video. It's divided into 6 streams throughout the 4 years. These are all worth 1/6, no matter what people can about it all being about web design!! They are:

* Web Development- learning html/css/actionscript/php etc
    * Business- basis business, project management, controlling finance etc
    * Design/Film- you pick one of these. Design deals with usability and product design including creating iphone apps. Film deals with everything from directing to editing to storytelling to special effects.
    * Technology- learn how computers/software/cameras/camcorders etc actually work,and how they work together.
    * Image Creation- combines tools such as photography, animation, photoshop, illustrator, after effects etc to create cool images as well as moving images.
    * Project- where all the streams come together and you use your skills from all the other classes to design, create and program a multimedia item.

That's multimedia!!! ;)

Dankoozy is just jealous he's not a multimedia student, that's his problem!!!

Multimedia is more of a practical course- we do a lot of projects. This semester (2nd year) we're directing a short film, doing audio-video synchronization, making 2 websites through flash and html/css, we've to make a pitch to get funding for an animation and create a music video. It's divided into 6 streams throughout the 4 years. These are all worth 1/6, no matter what people can about it all being about web design!! They are:

* Web Development- learning html/css/actionscript/php etc
    * Business- basis business, project management, controlling finance etc
    * Design/Film- you pick one of these. Design deals with usability and product design including creating iphone apps. Film deals with everything from directing to editing to storytelling to special effects.
    * Technology- learn how computers/software/cameras/camcorders etc actually work,and how they work together.
    * Image Creation- combines tools such as photography, animation, photoshop, illustrator, after effects etc to create cool images as well as moving images.
    * Project- where all the streams come together and you use your skills from all the other classes to design, create and program a multimedia item.

That's multimedia!!! ;)

Thank you! Thats a great help. I think I'm gonna go for it :D
    I'm guessing you dont need to know programming languages and stuff like that before you go into the course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

dodgystuff wrote: »
    I'm guessing you dont need to know programming languages and stuff like that before you go into the course..

No the programming is all timmy stuff and high level so u should be grand but
    If you have a bit of spare time maybe learn a bit of Java****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

dodgystuff wrote: »

Haha nope I couldn't even name a programming language before I stated the course. First year deals with basic HTML, CSS and Javascript, all taught from beginner dumbass levels. Very few people had any programming languages before they started and tbh they just found themselves to be bored during the first few weeks!!

Also if you do decide to do the course you should invest in a Mac if you haven't got a laptop already. If you buy from the apple website you can get an educational discount. The course is taught almost exclusively through macs. They're pretty much industry standard when dealing with sound and video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Don't listen to Dankoozy. I'm a Multimedia graduate and I have no idea where he got his (wrong) impression of the course.

I won't go into TOO much detail about the course itself and what it covers because I was gone before they brought in semesterisation and all that, and I think the subjects are slightly different now(and probably more up to date- it is a constantly evolving course) and mahamageehad covered them quite well. I'll just go into my experience of the course.

It's very varied. You get to do a wide range of subjects and not all of them are web design (in fact only a small minority of my class focused on that area). You get to cover everything from sound and video production to graphic design to areas such as e-learning and interactivity. If you're the kind of person who likes to try out different things then you'll enjoy this. It can be a disadvantage though, as not everyone excels in every area- I know I struggled with sound production, but it was still a good skill to acquire even if I hated the class at the time and I'm thankful to have those skills in my current job.

There is a lot of practical work involved. For a lot of classes you're expected to spend 1 to 2 hours for every hour of class time doing practical work outside of your scheduled college hours. I spent a LOT of days and evenings in those rooms (and I'd even say I was a bit of a dosser) on my laptop (a macbook of course, oh em gee like! ;)) and the computers working. People say that multimeeja students do no work but I never got to participate in rag week events from second year onward...

You'll be primarily working with Macs which is why it's handy to get a Mac laptop, especially as a) you can install windows on them if you need to and b) Software that you'll be working with such as Logic Pro and Final Cut Studio are not available for Windows PCs. However, you're not going to be shunned if you buy a Windows laptop, nobody cares. Not everyone gets a laptop but they are valuable because when projects are due the labs are filled with students and you're never guaranteed one when you need it.

And that's all I can think of right now!

Gauge, thanks a million for that :)

mahamageehad: Yeah, I was thinking about getting a Mac next year for it anyway. Didnt know about the education discount though, nice one!
    I know a small bit of HTML already because of MySpace and stuff.

I'll head over to the open day if I can or pop into the department some day too sure but coming from actual students is more beneficial than staff opinions of course so thanks alot!

Advertisement