Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left for Dead Performance issue..

Options
  • 19-10-2009 6:23pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Just fired up Left 4 Dead on my machine and im having some issues with it..

It flies along at around 70-120fps but randomnly drops to 20fps... its extremely annoying and I have no idea whats causing it, I'm using the laptopvideo2go 191.56 Windows7 64bit driver..

Laptop specs:
    2.4ghz T8600 Core 2 Duo
    4gigs of ram
    8600m GT 256mb
    etc etc

Im running all low settings at 1280*800 and care more about framerate than eye candy.. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

havent actually ran l4d under 7 yet. Ill call you back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Is the post processing or multicore support disabled in options? forget what its called exactly but when i enabled that it fecked up my game badly, was getting horrible fps and cpu/ram was at 100%

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

It not Win 7 anyway - I'm running the 64bit version as well. It improves performance over Vista and hasn't caused me a single issue with any game yet. No l4d problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I ran it under Win7 x64 and it kept crashing during the subway level. Id just get a sound glitch then black screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 _si_

I had similar issues, appeared when I went from XP 32 to windows 7 64. A fresh install of Win 7 64 didn't help at the time. Seem to get bad whenever a horde appeared, or all 7 of the other players were doing stuff in versus

• Advertisement

make sure thats the best driver for your gpu.

Match the driver you pick with the Device Property details: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_5774812 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Disable multicore support.

It causes massive problems with framerate stuttering. its only on trial.

Left4Dead enabled this on me after an update and it was unplayable until I turned it off.

It depends on the CPU in question really. I found it helped back on vista iirc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm running L4D on a i7 920 and GTX275 under Win7 64 with multi-core enables and have zero problems.

Do you get the same problem in any other Source games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

EnterNow wrote: »
    I ran it under Win7 x64 and it kept crashing during the subway level. Id just get a sound glitch then black screen.

I have the exact same problem running Win 7 64bit.
    Running: 2.26 Ghz Core 2 duo
    2GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

I have the exact same problem running Win 7 64bit.
    Running: 2.26 Ghz Core 2 duo
    2GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

not sure if that'd be able to run l4d at all O_o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I ran it on a P4 2.66 Northwood
    1 Gig RAM
    7600 GT 256MB (AGP)

Fps wasn't hectic ~20 but was playable at 1024 x 768.

not sure if that'd be able to run l4d at all O_o
    Then you arent qualified to comment.

OP I can run it fine.

Windows 7 64-bit
    2.0ghz dualcore
    2gb ram
    nvidia 8400m gs

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Overheal wrote: »
    Then you arent qualified to comment.

i wasnt sure how much memory the 9400m has, try not to be a bellend =]

The system is powerful enough to run it, its just valves crap multicore support.

Google it, the same issus are occuring with TF2 for many people. I enabled the multicore support on my laptop and it blue screened.

On other computers it will work fine. It just depends on your machine and Valve don't seem to know what they have done wrong or are too busy with L4D2 to fix the bug.

i wasnt sure how much memory the 9400m has, try not to be a bellend =]
    Its got plenty :pac:

Multicore is on for me. and AA. Working grand. Its gotta just be hit and miss based on which model youre using.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Have you tried using a different video driver? Also, defrag your L4D game files.
    thebman wrote: »

It causes massive problems with framerate stuttering. its only on trial.

Multicore support was in testing way back in 2007, which was experimental until Left 4 Dead was released.

If you really do think the multicore option is causing serious stability issues for you when it is enabled you should get in contact with Steam support, I would think they would like to investigate.

Have you tried using a different video driver? Also, defrag your L4D game files.

I did when I had problems, turning off multi-core support is the only thing that works.
    Multicore support was in testing way back in 2007, which was experimental until Left 4 Dead was released.

If you really do think the multicore option is causing serious stability issues for you when it is enabled you should get in contact with Steam support, I would think they would like to investigate.

Did, loads of other people have problems still too especially in TF2. In L4D, I can run it on medium settings with no multi-core support perfectly but it kind of seems like maybe windows does it to some extent because I can't see getting the performance I'm getting with a single core operating at 2ghz so I'm not sure what is going on with it, just know it isn't working as it should.

It might work on desktops, multicore options seem to cause problems primarily with laptop intel core duo processors from what I can see.

In TF2, I've had to turn off multicore and get a custom config to turn off half the graphics to get it working. I get 50FPS when things are hectic now and 120FPS the rest of the time so can play the game fine so it isn't annoying as much as it was.

Advertisement