Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins

Options
  • 19-10-2009 6:34pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw that this was available for pre-order on Steam and then read this preview on Eurogamer.

It looks like classic Bioware and not a console port, which is a rarity these days.

Basically I'm sold. Anyone else getting it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Yes, but I think I'll be getting it on physical media.

With rpgs I think the manuals etc are big thing, not to mention the fact that its actually cheaper than getting it online.

Bit of a pain though that it seems to not be multiplayer, coop was always fun in those things.

For example:

Play: e35.49

--- Online ---
    Impulse: e34.79

Steam: e49.99

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

how can Impulse be so much cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I dont think the impulse one is for here though it says
    Territory : North America & Canada??

Because they're not bleeding thieves like valve ?

Its a single player game, territory doesn't matter.

Even without that play is still 15 quid cheaper and you get a disc + printed manuals etc.
    Its a no brainer really, u buy off steam you need your head examined in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

just checked through Impulse itself & it comes up as €45.23

Odd must be my settings, either way I wouldn't have been getting it there.
    I can live the week and save a third of the price of the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Huh, that;s cheaper than I expected from Play. Must check if it'll work on my computer, and put down a preorder if twill.

Because they're not bleeding thieves like valve ?

Its a single player game, territory doesn't matter.

Even without that play is still 15 quid cheaper and you get a disc + printed manuals etc.
    Its a no brainer really, u buy off steam you need your head examined in this case.

Well actually with digital distribution territory does matter for any game, the digital distributor must adhere to the publishers and developers wishes the only company that usually employs this tactic in Digital distribution is guess who EA most other companies let it slide ....... Im not saying you cant buy it on impluse but there has been precedents set by EA where they limited Distribution by territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Any idea what Game and gamestop will be selling it for in store on release date?

The cheapest that I found it going for online is £26 delivered from dvd.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

€31 from cd wow, and they take Laser.

Will check and see if Xtra-vision have a price tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Good stuff, I had almost picked this up on steam last, ordered from dvd.co.uk, should work out at €29 after currency conversion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Review in PC Gamer today:
    94% - RPG of the decade they say. Ignoring the hype I think we can assume it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

where is best to order from if you want it on your delivered on day of release tbh i had a bad experience with play before when i ordered and a week after release they still hadnt shipped so i cancelled.

If I want something on the day of release I typically just buy it in the shop.
    Xtravision isn't the worst, nor surprisingly can be hmv. I've found them to be as cheap as play from time to time and always cheaper than steam for a new release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this. The fact that it uses a pause and play system like Baldur's Gate had me sold since day one. You can also download the character creator toolkit btw. It's handy as you wont have to spend ages making one on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I completely forgot about this (stopped following gaming news tbh a year or two ago) and was reminded of it about a week ago.

Really looking forward to it. :D

Creature wrote: »
    It's handy as you wont have to spend ages making one on launch day.
    You say that like its a bad thing...

It is! I hate agonising over stats when I just want to get stuck in and play. Especially since I'm way too obsessive about this sort of thing for my own good and it usually takes me an hour or two to create an ideal character.
    I suppose it could be worse. At least DA:O doesn't have you roll for you stats like BG.
    "Just one more roll, they'll be better this time. Just one more roll." :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Creature wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really looking forward to this. The fact that it uses a pause and play system like Baldur's Gate had me sold since day one. You can also download the character creator toolkit btw. It's handy as you wont have to spend ages making one on launch day.

What, like you can have your character premade before the game?

I'm really hoping that some of the prestige classes allow for my old NWN build of a rogue/ranger with shadowdancer and assassin prestige classes which allows you restealth whenever you want and sneak attack again. Was just evil.

Yup just like that. You import it in when you get the game.

Here you go, this should be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Does anybody know where I can buy the Collector´s Edition of Dragon Age: Origins off the shelf in Dublin or somewhere else in the ROI?! I asked at Gamestop but they only do the normal one... :confused: :eek:

Please help, thank you ;)

Well the stardock guys on the impulse forum are saying you cant buy it from them outside us&canada !!

Well the stardock guys on the impulse forum are saying you cant buy it from them outside us&canada !!

GAME are selling it actually....

Hody wrote: »
    GAME are selling it actually....
    No you dont understand IMPULSE/stardock provide a digital download service which is cheaper than bricks and mortar shops (usually) EA have restricted them to sell only to US customers ......... i know you can buy it in game or any other real shop. We mentioned it further back in the thread

I have some goodies for you guys - enjoy :D

Manuals in different languages (Zip File)

Some links from a walkthrough site that were being discussed at the lesbian relationship topic:

dragonagewalkthrough.com/companions/ - information about all companions, their side quests, personalities, romances, etc.
    dragonagewalkthrough.com/supporting_cast/supporting_cast.php - little information about secondary ones
    dragonagewalkthrough.com/bestiary/bestiary.php - monsters in the game
    http://dragonagewalkthrough.com/classes/ - well, about classes in general

They were the main ones I found, and for those who like spoilers, enjoy!

8/10 lackluster review from Eurogamer. Mind you, I find their reviews dodgey these days, so I'm still confident it will be great.

Wow I'm surprised it even got an 8. The article was incredibly negative, the reviewer didn't seem to like anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hey guys

Looking to get into a decent single player RPG. I'm a little concerned with the Eurogamer review slating the difficulty settings, I've not seen this mentioned too much elsewhere though.

Do you think this is an issue?

Advertisement