Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭inFamouxe

Ari start from scratch and got this (ser garlend sword) from the messenger this doesn't affect anything at all yea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Use spoiler tags for in game things, please. I for one haven't played it, and won't get to for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'm loving this game, level 16 dual wield warrior at the moment, with all the dual wield skills maxed out. Plus Alistair, Zevran and Morrigan.

Only minor problem I'm having is balancing my armour fatigue vs stamina use for my warrior. He takes quite alot of damage and still doesn't have that much stamina to use on his special attacks. If I bump up to more heavy armour I can barely use one or two special attacks before the stamina is totally drained. Good luck trying to use Momentum in a longish battle.

And I wish I had more gold too, while equipment you loot/find is generally pretty good, there's always something in some shop somewhere that would totally suit a party member. And it's usually about 30G when you only have maybe 55G.

Question: I have the Stone Prisoner DLC, luckily it was included in my purchase cos it took me about 10 minutes to finish!
    Has anyone used Shale? I'm considering using him/her as an alternative to Alistair, I have some nice crystals that seem to give good stats etc, just wondering how Shale compares to a similarly leveled Alistair.

Also, the romance stuff is pretty damn cheesy, although now that I've improved Zevran's approval it could get interesting.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I don't care about fatigue for my warrior as he's just a tank. Just stick the heaviest armor you can find on him and keep healing/regenerate.

My main is a rogue and I have Morrigan and Wynne in my party and every battle is a cakewalk. just pause pause pause.

Where do you do the Stone Prisoner quest? I used the free code to download it but I can't see where to do it.

Im only level 7 when i do the dlc quest and it's piece of cake! :p but i am dying on random encounters tho lol Shale is one of the strongest character i must say...

Im so addicted to this game atm and can't wait for the two years dlc plan bioware to offer... :D

edit: did you lads sign up on bioware website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

1st run through complete. Human warrior and loved it. Very enjoyable game.
    62hrs played and only 46% of game completed with 94% of world seen. Damn you 6% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Where do I go to do the stone prisoner quest? I've seen the guy asking about the Warden's Keep at the camp.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Where do I go to do the stone prisoner quest? I've seen the guy asking about the Warden's Keep at the camp.

Selpur's pass or something it's called.
    Should appear in yellow on your map.

jayteecork wrote: »
    I don't care about fatigue for my warrior as he's just a tank. Just stick the heaviest armor you can find on him and keep healing/regenerate.
    Yeah I kind of realised this last night, I should load Alistair up with heavy armour and have him taunt, absorbing melee attacks while my warrior can just deal damage with lighter armour.
    I played BG2 alot but otherwise a noob to RPG tactics :)
    Where do you do the Stone Prisoner quest? I used the free code to download it but I can't see where to do it.
    Think you might have to be logged in to the Bioware website to get it started, I think you can reg and log in from inside the game itself without having to go through forums or anything.

Once it's loaded it should appear on your world map, south of Orzammar, west of Redcliffe, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

lafortezza wrote: »
    Yeah I kind of realised this last night, I should load Alistair up with heavy armour and have him taunt, absorbing melee attacks while my warrior can just deal damage with lighter armour.
    I played BG2 alot but otherwise a noob to RPG tactics :)

Yeah, it helps if you consider Alistair's sole role as making things hit him rather than any other party member.

Threat is based partially on how heavy your armour is, so if you've got your main character in heavy armour he's more likely to draw a mob's attention off Alistair.

• Advertisement

It borrows a lot from WOW which include the battle system - Tank/Healer/DPS.

All Alister must do is draw aggro. If you go to his tactics and select defender you can preety much leave him alone. Throw the templar armor on him if you can find it, as well as trinkets that increase healing effects and reduce damage.

You might alao want to set up "use healing potion(or poltise or whatever it's called) when health <25%" in case you're out of mana when his health is low. You can buy an unlimited supply of elf root(to make potions) in the Dalish camp.

I have 2 mages in my party - Morrigan DPS and Wynne Healer but Morrigan can heal if need be. (I think my system has probably made things too easy to be honest, might crank the settings)

As a matter have interest, how many of you have been playing on Console as opposed to PC? My machine is waaaaay below spec, so I'm going to be borrowing an xbox from a friend to play once my exams are through, just wondering whether the game is as good that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Raphael wrote: »
    As a matter have interest, how many of you have been playing on Console as opposed to PC? My machine is waaaaay below spec, so I'm going to be borrowing an xbox from a friend to play once my exams are through, just wondering whether the game is as good that way.

This.

I will definatly be buying this shortly once my addicting to MW2 fades. Now I have a very high spec PC which would run this without any problems but I just prefer gaming on my PS3 and 40" TV as apposed to sitting in front of my monitor especially for games with alot of play time.

So really can anyone who has experience on PC and PS3/XBox versions shed any light?? Is it that much better on PC that you couldn't recommend the PS3 version for fear of taking away from the game experience???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This article might help you guys decide.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-23

The last paragraph of the Dragon Age Origins part of the article sums it up well.
    Dragon Age: Origins remains a strong game wherever you play it to a greater or lesser extent, but the PC really is the place to be. The user interface is stronger, it looks much prettier and it's much more fun to play. Failing that, the console conversions are about equal; their technical differences essentially cancel each other out.

The user interface isn't as good with the console version. That said, unless you're planning on playing it on Nightmare where you need exacting control of each character it's not a huge deal. I got the XBox360 version for my brother-in-law and he is absolutely loving it. It's still a good game but if you have the choice and want to play the game at the highest difficulty setting and want to have complete control of the action then I'd strongly recommend the PC version.

I was afraid of that =(

Computers aren't that expensive, right?

I was afraid of that =(

Computers aren't that expensive, right?

Right now there's a glut of good hardware at good prices. A mid range graphics card matched with a mid range chip and a few sticks of RAM and you'll have a PC that'll play most games without breaking the bank versus 5+ years ago where decent kit was very pricey in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

jayteecork wrote:
    It borrows a lot from WOW which include the battle system - Tank/Healer/DPS.

Well the 'Holy Trinity' of Priest/Mage/Tank predates WoW by a while...

On my 2nd playthrough now, 1st Hard now Nightmare. Currently using PC-Mage: AW-BM, Shale - Tanky-Smash, Leilana - DW w some paralyze runes for autobackstabs, and Morrigan - CC-dps. Some of the Ambush events are, well, Nightmarish on Nightmare, the rest is manageable as long as you plan each move rather than rely on tactics.

Shale is pretty OP, and is a more-than-decent hybrid. You can't use Alastair for dps if he's tank-specced, but she can just switch at anytime. AoE smashes, interrupting knockback bash, the only thing seems to hurt her badly is mages. Also, her dialogue is utterly awesome, even bitchier than Morrigan. So if Alastair feels whiny, use Shale. I haven't found her inferior in any way, and better in most.

Mages seem a bit too good, especially stacked. Lots of AoE, GlyphCombo Paralyse, and the truly broken-good Cone of Cold (interrupt freeze on all bosses?), with Shatters off it for quick kills of non-leet mobs.

I quite like that the gold is pretty restrictive, rather than easily farmed up. Forces you to choose; wasn't Sid Meiers definition of a good game 'a series of interesting decisions'? If you don't have to choose between things, whether gear, spec, or storychoices, it's just not as fun, for me.

Really enjoying the game, even on a 2nd playthrough. The only narrative I've preferred in a game is Planescape Torment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

nesf wrote: »
    Right now there's a glut of good hardware at good prices. A mid range graphics card matched with a mid range chip and a few sticks of RAM and you'll have a PC that'll play most games without breaking the bank versus 5+ years ago where decent kit was very pricey in comparison.

Could you recommend a good mid-range graphics card? The chip I have ATM is an Intel Centrino

Im stuck in redcliffe atm i tried every possible tactics but still no luck! :( i don't want to give up thou, the music on that part is really good... :D

• Advertisement

Demonique wrote: »
    Could you recommend a good mid-range graphics card? The chip I have ATM is an Intel Centrino

Ask on this forum, they know the stuff far better than I: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=596

Give them a budget and they'll point you to the best bang for your buck at that price range. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm in the mage tower and its a lot easier then I was expecting so far BUT....the length of it is wearing out my supplies... I started with 17 Healing potions and 16 lesser healing potions and I'm down to 3 of each now and I'm only
    half way through the sleep sequence!
    . Is there much more because I thought I was prepped but clearly I aint!

I have a healer with me too, but she cant even keep up (the mage you meet at the start of it). Morrigan is utterly useless as a healer.

So, am I boned? Solo I cant manage two burning Templars without a potion.... and with no shops and no herbs to pick, I fear for the future :)

DeV.

Turn into a mouse and stealth past the templars, or find out how to turn into a burning man and nuke them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The sleep sequence with the shapeshifting is near the end of the tower. The last floor is directly after that. Gotta say, I enjoyed that tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Here's a handy mod for pack rats...

Campsite Storage Bin

It puts a storage chest in your campsite, no more trekking out to Warden's Keep :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Im stuck in redcliffe atm i tried every possible tactics but still no luck! i don't want to give up thou, the music on that part is really good...

Zombie invasion? The second wave is hands down the most difficult "encounter" in the game, given you never get a break. The undead shrug off cold damage: Early in the game you will have probably have rushed to Cone of Cold (if not, why not?) and theres not much in the way of AOE, mass damage, non cold, non friendly fire spells that can help you hold off the mass of undead without wiping out all the NPCs. Crowd control is very hard to do without the NPCs getting hit by it too.

Two options

1 - We had to destroy the village in order to save it ( Nuke *everyone* from afar)

2 - Go Melee damage heavy - 1 mage to heal, 3 melee damage dealers to keep killing stuff. Rogues would be decent given they will get free backstabs on undead hitting NPCs.
    I have a healer with me too, but she cant even keep up (the mage you meet at the start of it). Morrigan is utterly useless as a healer.

You cant outheal the DPS that is being dealt to your tank: your best option is for a Dex heavy/high defence tank that gets hit less often instead of trying to keep outheal the incoming damage. Plus crowd control, crowd control, crowd control.

DAO is a fun game, but it has incredibly OP mages. Rogues do the most single target DPS, Warriors are good and solid average dudes, but with Mages... everything is crowd controlled and waiting to die. They are superheros with everyone else being ... normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Anyone else find the game astonishingly easy the second time through?

I played properly this time, and just went all melee with one healer and still found it a doddle.

For the people struggling at Redcliffe, get yourself the healer, (don't want to spoil who it is) and learn force field. Use your tank to taunt, then force field them. Most OP tactic in the game.

I did Redcliffe first and found it very easy. save for the part with the Revenant, but that was only because I failed to realise you could open the gates and let the Redcliffe guard through!

Made a couple fo videos on xfire, first one of me finally bedding Morrigan! Second one me battling the Brood Mother. Was the first battle since the start where I died numeriously. Took me maybe 5 attempts. The attempt that won it waa because petrify finally proced at the start and I was able to nuke her with my mages. Must say with all the pausing it looks crap to watch but i guess that's how everyone plays.

http://www.xfire.com/video/1b42c6/

http://www.xfire.com/video/1b4239/

Just wondering how much of the game I have left to play?
    I've completed each of the main quests, so I have the dwarves/mages/elves/Arl's soldiers all onside for the final battle. Right now I've gone to Denerim for the Landsmeet, but done nothing there so far. All other sidequests are finished except for a couple of the minor ones like the Mages Collective and so on.

Am I close to the end of do I still have alot of the game to go? I'm up to about level 19 at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

lafortezza wrote: »
    Just wondering how much of the game I have left to play?
    I've completed each of the main quests, so I have the dwarves/mages/elves/Arl's soldiers all onside for the final battle. Right now I've gone to Denerim for the Landsmeet, but done nothing there so far. All other sidequests are finished except for a couple of the minor ones like the Mages Collective and so on.

Am I close to the end of do I still have alot of the game to go? I'm up to about level 19 at this stage.

Nah, nearly over. Another few hours left. Maybe 6 to 12 depending on how you're playing.

I've just hitten level 21 on my second toon and never gotten higher than that. (Don't bother with the elfroot cheat.)

Advertisement