Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting XDCAM EX Footage from Final Cut

Options
  • 19-10-2009 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

As it says in the title, I'm looking for any recommendations on the best way to export this footage off. As this is my first time working with HD, I'm somewhat in the dark as to the correct codecs.

I googled for a while, but couldn't find anything overally helpful.

Footage is XDCAM EX 1080p 25 fps 35 Mb/s VBR

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

As it says in the title, I'm looking for any recommendations on the best way to export this footage off. As this is my first time working with HD, I'm somewhat in the dark as to the correct codecs.

I googled for a while, but couldn't find anything overally helpful.

Footage is XDCAM EX 1080p 25 fps 35 Mb/s VBR

Thanks.

Well suppose it depends on what you want to do with said exported movie.. dvd/ file for client to view/ youtube/..? without knowing it's purpose can't give any real good options..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

decob wrote: »
    Well suppose it depends on what you want to do with said exported movie.. dvd/ file for client to view/ youtube/..? without knowing it's purpose can't give any real good options..

My apologies.

Ultimately, the film is going onto DVD for distribution. I've been using the Pro Res 422 codec up until now, but the file comes out MASSIVE which I suppose is to be expected with HD.

The thing I find, that bothers me, is when watching the film in Quicktime, the film comes out jerky. Now this could be my machine itself, as I found it playing better when I reduced the window to half its size.

As I said before, first time working with HD. Kind of in the dark with it all, and want to make a good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

My apologies.

Ultimately, the film is going onto DVD for distribution. I've been using the Pro Res 422 codec up until now, but the file comes out MASSIVE which I suppose is to be expected with HD.

The thing I find, that bothers me, is when watching the film in Quicktime, the film comes out jerky. Now this could be my machine itself, as I found it playing better when I reduced the window to half its size.

As I said before, first time working with HD. Kind of in the dark with it all, and want to make a good impression.

the jerkyness could be down to your machine and the storage being used, are you just exporting it to watch back or have you issues watching it back from the timeline in fcp. Try lashing it into compressor using one of the dvd/mpeg2 present and author to a dvd in dvd studio pro. watch back on a tv and see how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

decob wrote: »
    the jerkyness could be down to your machine and the storage being used, are you just exporting it to watch back or have you issues watching it back from the timeline in fcp. Try lashing it into compressor using one of the dvd/mpeg2 present and author to a dvd in dvd studio pro. watch back on a tv and see how it looks.

Plays back fine on the timeline, but then again the quality of that is downgraded for ease of editing.

Thanks, I'll try running it through compressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

For general viewing, I've been using .h264 as a light, portable export format lately. For going to DVD, best bet is via compressor presets as stated

Peter

• Advertisement
Advertisement