Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another way of saying "testing for memory leaks"

Options
  • 19-10-2009 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I am summarising future work to be done on a project.
    One thing I want to do is to test for memory leaks.
    I had that down as "optimisation" - but I don't mean that I want to optimise the code really, just check for memory leaks.
    Will I just say "Test for memory leaks"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

In my place we call them tasks, "Oh sh*t its crashed again, restart it quickly" :D

If that doesn't work "Performance testing" would suffice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Stress tests generally test for all sorts of long-term leaks in programs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

My stress tests tend to check more for high-load problems than for long-term problems :D

Generally I'd just call it memory leak testing. No need to call it marmalade if it's just orange jam. (Of course, when it really is marmalade...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

pwd wrote: »
    I am summarising future work to be done on a project.
    One thing I want to do is to test for memory leaks.
    I had that down as "optimisation" - but I don't mean that I want to optimise the code really, just check for memory leaks.
    Will I just say "Test for memory leaks"?

Depends on the audience. I'd use 'Memory Management' or 'Physical Resource Management' if the audience is non technical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

E39MSport wrote: »
    Depends on the audience. I'd use 'Memory Management' or 'Physical Resource Management' if the audience is non technical.
    Yeah that's why I'm asking - I think most of the audience probably won't know what memory leak is.
    Thanks for the replies. I've put it under the heading of "Performance & Stress Testing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

As a former Performance Tester, we generally considered:
    - Stress Test: Ability for the application to perform for prologed periods of constant use at a normal level. (Generally to test for resource leaks)
    - Performance Test: Evaluation of the maximum load of the application, (eg. maximum number of concurrent open sessions, maximum throughput of transactions per seond), and nature of the application's degradation at maximum load (eg. after max load for 1 hour, does the application then perform correctly at normal loads without a reboot)

Advertisement