Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick cert for one day??

Options
  • 19-10-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

by law does your place of work need a sick cert from the doc for one day??

i have a 6 hour contract for sundays and i called in sick one sunday because i fell and my foot was un-naturally swollen..i couldnt even stand

now my assistant manager tells me i need to bring in a cert.. i wont even be payed for it....is there any law that i can throw in her face.??

can any1 help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

As far as i know you only legally need one after 3 days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 baac

thats what i thought aswell.. even done my research!!

she's a big know it all thou she'd try to convince you the moon was pink!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Check what is in your contract, last place I worked it was a cert after 2 days and where I am at the minute its after 5 days.

1 day seems very unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've a friend who works in a place where they require a doctor's cert for even one day :eek: Check your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

baac wrote: »
    by law does your place of work need a sick cert from the doc for one day??

i have a 6 hour contract for sundays and i called in sick one sunday because i fell and my foot was un-naturally swollen..i couldnt even stand

now my assistant manager tells me i need to bring in a cert.. i wont even be payed for it....is there any law that i can throw in her face.??

can any1 help :)

Check your contract. Often it's after two days, but not necessarily two consecutive. Have you had any previous in the last 12 months? Also AFAIK there is no requirement for your employer to pay you for missed time - though some will, on production of a cert.

It depends on the type of work, but I've had employers argue that if you are too sick for work you must surely have attended a doctor........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Firetrap wrote: »
    I've a friend who works in a place where they require a doctor's cert for even one day :eek: Check your contract.

I know. One day is crazy. Do they know that that only encourages ppl to take more than one day? I know if I was paying e50 for a cert I'd tell the doctor to give me more than one day anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In our place it was a sick cert for three days or over
    Then they changed it a sick cert for a day

Their plan backfired.
    If someone is paying €55-€60 for a cert for one day, they'll take an extra day for sure after spending all that money.

Hey, the company does not trust them and expect loyalty.
    Yes, it's a terrible attitude for an employee to have but that's what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The only legal requirement for an employer is that they include information about their sick leave policy in your terms and conditions of employment. From there they can include pretty much whatever terms they want. Three days out before requiring a cert is fairly typical but it's not a legal requirement. None of us can advise you what applies as your need to check what your own company's policy is. In short if their policy is a doctor's cert after one missed day and no sick pay then that's completely legal. If you don't get paid then you may be able to submit a claim for Illness Benefit instead.

Unfortunately, some places do require a sick cert after one day. It's one of things that swings both ways - quite often it results in employees taking an extra day but it also reduces the number of employees who decide to stay in bed or pull a sickie because they know it'll cost them €50 and the hassle a trip to the doctor. I've come across companies who've altered their policy to refuse to give sick pay after public holidays and certain events because of 'sickies'. I don't really have any time for companies who push their luck like this or either group of employees as they ruin it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its unusual all right, but its whats in your contract that matters. if there is nothing in the contract the company may have a policy that they can change.

as leeroybrown said its a pain when either company or employee abuse the situation and try to get one over on the other.

its very annoying to get a text on what was supposed to be your day off from an employee to say that they cant make it in.

we have a three day policy , but i recently had a chat with a part-timer regarding her "sick" days and absences and a cert may be required from her any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Shelflife wrote: »
    Its unusual all right, but its whats in your contract that matters. if there is nothing in the contract the company may have a policy that they can change.

as leeroybrown said its a pain when either company or employee abuse the situation and try to get one over on the other.

its very annoying to get a text on what was supposed to be your day off from an employee to say that they cant make it in.

we have a three day policy , but i recently had a chat with a part-timer regarding her "sick" days and absences and a cert may be required from her any more.

Surely your not going to single out this girl and have different rules for her??? You are leaving your self open to being sued for bulling if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

No not suggesting that, but we just have to keep an eye on the situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mood wrote: »
    Surely your not going to single out this girl and have different rules for her??? You are leaving your self open to being sued for bulling if you do.
    Not if you're smart and take it through disciplinary with a fixed time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Isn't the three sick day cert something to do with social welfare payments?
    mood wrote: »

I doubt you are being open to being sued at all - frequent sick leave from work can be grounds to be let go, and the employer is within their rights to request sick notes or a 2nd medical opinion. In fact, you can be let go even if you do have sick notes, but that's a different conversation.

Advertisement