If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround sound help!!

Options
  • 19-10-2009 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Richersounds,

I am looking for a nice surround system but don’t know where to start. I have my sitting room wired with a speaker cable in each corner going back to the corner where the TV sits.
    Now here’s the thing. I only have a budget of 800-1000 euro for a setup. I don’t mind buying ex demo products etc but what do you recommend for this budget.
    I don’t want free standing speakers but rather smaller ones you can hang on the walls (Like the bose cube size if you know what i mean). I presume I’d be better off going for a separate AVR.
    I want to hook an xbox HDMI, sky+ box (non HD) and also a blueray player when i purchase one (maybe you can also do a deal here). I already have a 40” Sony Bravia TV (Full HD) with HDMI ports.
    Hope you can help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Has to be the Radius HD range from Monitor Audio. Clicky

Team them up with a Denon amp and you will have a glorious sounding system.

I'm sure JohnMc will be along to tempt you soon(ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Surely the monitor speaker package alone would break the €800-1000 budget before you even price in the 1910. Nice looking speakers though!

irlrobins wrote: »
    Surely the monitor speaker package alone would break the €800-1000 budget before you even price in the 1910. Nice looking speakers though!

You might think so.....but watch this space. I bet it won't be far off his budget!!! JohnMc loves selling MA gear for silly money!!:D

Well hopefully John will prove me wrong! Damn, just when I thought I had an idea of what speakers i was going to get, you throw that in to the mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

You might think so.....but watch this space. I bet it won't be far off his budget!!! JohnMc loves selling MA gear for silly money!!:D

I really hope so :)

• Advertisement

I pasted the info below from a post of JohnMcs from August. Check it out.

"however if you do have a slightly bigger budget you could go the whole hog and get a Monitor Audio Radius HD 5.1 pack with the Denon AVR1910 for £949.95 - this consists of 2 Pairs of Radius 45HD Satellites, a Radius 180HD dedicated centre, a Radius 360HD Subwoofer and all the wall brackets required (the speakers alone would normally retail at over £800 in the UK!) http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd"

Personally I would try to upgrade one pair of the Radius 45HDs to the HD90s.
    Good Luck,
    Moo

Wonder how much the speakers are without the Denon? I got a Denon AVR 2309 in the stock take sale so just need speakers to go with it. The Radius 90s look good and get good reviews but I think I'd go with 4 x 45 as they are neater. I don't want people to enter my living room/kitchen and the first thing they notice is big speakers on the wall.

The HD90s are really neat looking too, they are not "big" by any stretch of the imagination. They would sound better which in my opinion is the most important thing.
    Nice amp BTW.

True, the prob would. I might have to try and view in person and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

So Richardsounds. Can you advise what you have in stock at the moment. Thanks guys for the suggestions above. Those speakers sound great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frank11

i'm in the same boat. I was thinking of pairing up the Denon 1910 with the Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Pack based on the What HiFi awards.
    Just waiting on RS to come back re the spakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mussdemi

If its any help in making a decision, I recently acquired a full set of MA HD's from John. I saw them tested in person in a showroom and I must say I was very impressed. The sound and built quality are great. Here is a great review - http://whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-R90-HD10/

Personnally I would go for the R90 setup over the R45 but if you are after something small and compact it then the R45 is a good choice. They also look really nice in piano black or white. The HD range gives you flexibility so you can mix and match. I went crazy and went for a mixture of black R250 and R90's.

Whichever ones you choose though, I'm sure they will sound great especially with the denon 2309 (So jealous by the way:P)

Yeah I managed to view the 90's last week and they do look good. So I'm going to go for them. Just need to get the cash together now, unfortunately with Christmas just around the corner it's an expensive time!

Thanks for the advice.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

gafarrell wrote: »
    Hi Richersounds,

I am looking for a nice surround system but don’t know where to start. I have my sitting room wired with a speaker cable in each corner going back to the corner where the TV sits.
    Now here’s the thing. I only have a budget of 800-1000 euro for a setup. I don’t mind buying ex demo products etc but what do you recommend for this budget.
    I don’t want free standing speakers but rather smaller ones you can hang on the walls (Like the bose cube size if you know what i mean). I presume I’d be better off going for a separate AVR.
    I want to hook an xbox HDMI, sky+ box (non HD) and also a blueray player when i purchase one (maybe you can also do a deal here). I already have a 40” Sony Bravia TV (Full HD) with HDMI ports.
    Hope you can help me out.

Ga,

apologies but I kept missing this post - so apologies that I have left the other Boardies to fill in for me (they probably do a better job than me anyway!)

OK if you have up to €1000 to spend you will get a really good system for that money.

The starting point would be the excellent Onkyo HT-S5205 pack at just £379.95 / €449.99 - this is a great pack that includes an Onkyo TXSR307 receiver and a matching speaker pack.

Moving up if you went for the Pioneer VSX-519 receiver with a Tannoy SFX5.1 pack we could do that at just £399.95 / €459.99 which is a killer price.

Moving up again and you can go for the Pioneer VSX-819 with the excellent Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 system at just £799.95 / €899.99.

Getting serious now - the Monitor Audio Radius 45 pack including a 4 * Radius 45HD Satellites, 1 * Radius180HD Centre and a Radius 360HD Subwoofer (The Radius 45 HD360 Pack) with an Onkyo TXSR607 Receiver we can do at just £929.99 / €1029.99 and if you wanted to add the Award winning Denon AVR1910 just add £50 to make it £979.99 / €1079.99

Lots of choices there - if any of them interest you please just drop me a line and I'll do my best to assist - and to all the other Boardies who posted - thanks - and try not to be too jealous!

Keep me posted if I can assist,

ATB,

John McDonald

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

don't want to hijack this but... do you have any surround system with wireless speakers? (at least the rear ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frank11

Hi John,
    I'm after the same kind of system. I decided on the Denon AVR 1910 but i'm not sure about speakers. I'd love the Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Pack but i believe you do not have any stock yet.
    Kenny offered me the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 Pack and you mentioned the Monitor Audio Radius 45 below.
    Can you give me some of your views on these speaker packs.

Thanks.

Ga,

apologies but I kept missing this post - so apologies that I have left the other Boardies to fill in for me (they probably do a better job than me anyway!)

OK if you have up to €1000 to spend you will get a really good system for that money.

The starting point would be the excellent Onkyo HT-S5205 pack at just £379.95 / €449.99 - this is a great pack that includes an Onkyo TXSR307 receiver and a matching speaker pack.

Moving up if you went for the Pioneer VSX-519 receiver with a Tannoy SFX5.1 pack we could do that at just £399.95 / €459.99 which is a killer price.

Moving up again and you can go for the Pioneer VSX-819 with the excellent Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 system at just £799.95 / €899.99.

Getting serious now - the Monitor Audio Radius 45 pack including a 4 * Radius 45HD Satellites, 1 * Radius180HD Centre and a Radius 360HD Subwoofer (The Radius 45 HD360 Pack) with an Onkyo TXSR607 Receiver we can do at just £929.99 / €1029.99 and if you wanted to add the Award winning Denon AVR1910 just add £50 to make it £979.99 / €1079.99

Lots of choices there - if any of them interest you please just drop me a line and I'll do my best to assist - and to all the other Boardies who posted - thanks - and try not to be too jealous!

Keep me posted if I can assist,

ATB,

John McDonald

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.