Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External HD - Not being read

• 19-10-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I've been given an external HD which fell off a desk and now can't be read by Windows. The thing is when I plug it in Windows goes through the whole finding external drive notifications but when its done it won't show up in the list of drives. I've tried using PC Inspector File Recovery and it gives me
    NT_read error
    error no.27 drv.130 LBA: 0 Blocks:1

I'm guessing its shagged but if anyone had any tips on trying to regain the data I'd be grateful

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

what make is the drive?

do you have access to a desktop computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Its a Western Digital 1TB. Not sure of the model. I have it plugged into my desktop as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

wolfric wrote: »

Thanks for that but I don't fancy handing over my CC details for this (even if it is a free trial :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

mordeith wrote: »
    Its a Western Digital 1TB. Not sure of the model. I have it plugged into my desktop as we speak.

If you have $90 and you feel your data is worth the money I would suggest you do the following.

1. Crack open the drive enclosure and remove the HDD you will find that it is a standard 3.5 inch drive, the same type that goes in your desktop.

2. Open your desktop and install the drive in the machine (you will have to have a SATA connector on your motherboard)

3. Reboot your computer and enter the bios. IF your drive is displayed in the local drive list, proceed.

4. Get your hands on a copy of Spinrite from www.grc.com.
    (there may be a cheeper/free alternative but i have not heard of one.)

5. Follow the instructions until you have a bootable spinrite on either a cd or memory key.

6 Boot spinrite and into mode 2. (quick recovery) and sit back for a few hours.

Your data will be shunted around on the disk until it is located in the remaining readable sectors and will be ready for transfer to another location.

This works, I cannot rate this program highly enough. It has repaired drives for me that seemed to be beyond a software repair. (ie. clicking crunching sounds)

7. If your happy Spread the word.

• Advertisement

CrinkElite wrote: »
    If you have $90 and you feel your data is worth the money I would suggest you do the following.

Well the drive belongs to work so its up to them whether they want to spend the money or not. Thanks for the advice though. Much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

scroll down ( i mean in the trial site) all the way to the bottom

No joy Wolfric. I think I know what you are saying about scrolling down to the bottom. I remember doing that to find answers on that site before. Its not working for this one though (at least not for me). Don't suppose you could Cut 'n' Paste here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I agree with CrinkElite:

I'm a long time listener to Steve Gibson's 'Security Now' podcasts and every week he reads out a SpinRite testimonial from people who have emailed him with their SpinRite success stories.

Testimonials - > http://www.grc.com/sr/testimonials.htm

At one point in the past either Norton or Symantec tried to develop a similar, competing product, but they failed. They then approached Gibson with a view to him selling the rights to SpinRite, but he refused.

Take a look at this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjHtJxsVEd4

He wrote his own e-commerce system for www.grc.com from scratch in assembly language.

Gibson is an old-school tech head who commands a lot of respect in the industry.

Advertisement