Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Lyon *Mod warning @ post 372*

• 19-10-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭

liverpool-fc-crest.jpgLyon_club_logo.jpg

I'm going to this, and I can't wait.

Torres is out, but with Gerrard back we should have a bit of our bite back, especially at home. i fully expect a good performance; maybe not a free flowing one but an effective one at the very least.

3-1 Liverpool please.

Benny x 2 and Stevie.

sorry about the sizes of the crests...no idea how to re-size properly. can't be bothered going through the bother of learning ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

who's going to play torres's role ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    who's going to play torres's role ?

i suspect it'll be kuyt up front and babel out wide.

i'd like Rafa to give vice versa a go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Liverpool really need to win this!

I see a scored draw here

I see a scored draw here

on our current form, that's a good bet.

i just hope that, like many times before, we pull out a performance, or maybe lyon have a bad day.

we then need to kick on for the rest of the season.

we f***ing need this win..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can't see a Liverpool win at all!

Of the five decent or even half decent teams Liverpool have played this year (Spurs,Chelsea,Sunderland,Villa and Fiorentina) they've lost them all!

What have they done this year to say they can win this one against quality opposition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I see a scored draw here
    +1 I think with Gerrard in the team our midfield will play with a bit more dominance and urgency compared to Saturday which was, in a nut shell, pathetic. Having said that, whilst we may enjoy more of the possession I still see Lyon using the ball very well when they have it. They have been banging in the goals this season and offensively they are on par with the cream of Europe. So I agree with your prediction. I really do not see either side keeping a clean sheet. 1-1 or maybe 2-2. Hopefully we get the win. We need to built some confidence for our make or break fixture at the weekend which I am far from assured we will 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

3-1 lyon and Gerard to injure himself again

anyway...

it's going to be tough. but it's not like we're sh*t all of a sudden. we're having a poor run of it. this will be a battling performance i suspect, which may frustrate us at times.

i genuinely believe we'll make it through this game; we're definitely due to kick into a winning gear again. why not tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Fix the size of that crest! Lyon suffered their first defeat this weekend. I may have a small punt if I can get them better then 4/1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

RasTa wrote: »
    Fix the size of that crest! Lyon suffered their first defeat this weekend. I may have a small punt if I can get them better then 4/1

Clearly compensating for there weak start making the crest so big compared to Lyons!

Nobody in there right mind would offer greater than 4's about Lyon! Actually think the 10/3 on PP is very reasonable price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Really like the look of Lyon this year - Bastos and Pjanjic look like great players - and with one or both of Gomis and Lisandro Lopez up front they won't miss Benzema

In recent years Liverpool ground out results in Europe when it matters, with them looking dodge at the back this year it's hard to call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I wonder will Gerrard play his usual role or be pushed back into midfield? I'd like to see him alongside Mascherano and to really get involved. While Stevie is our best player, he has not been our best player in any game this season, so hopefully he'll change that tonight.

Presumably we'll revert to 4-4-2 (although 5-3-2/3-5-2 would work a lot better with Gerrard, Mascho and Insua starting), so will be interesting to see which of the CBs loses out. I hope its not Agger.

I'd play Kuyt out right and either Riera or Aurelio on left side of midfield. Babel up top with Benny (or maybe even Voronin) behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Lyon lost 2 nil at home the weekend to Sochaux. I know its there first loss in the league this season but i think if we get at them we will beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

The speediness and attacking ability of Lyons attackers could cause havoc in that pool defence. 2-0 Lyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Liverpool 2 - 0 Lyon

It won't be pretty but job done & roll on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've done as much as a man can do to put the hex on Lyon - I've backed them to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

mike65 wrote: »
    I've done as much as a man can do to put the hex on Lyon - I've backed them to win.

Ha! Love it. Still can't bring myself to back CL games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

0 - 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I predict a nervous jittery performance from Liverpool, but ultimately a win, possibly a moment of magic from Gerrard to settle them down ahead of the United match Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I want to see Ngog from the start, with Kuyt right and Benny left. Babel still doesn't do enough when he starts. Lucas and Masc are a solid pairing if lacking in creativity, but with the way we have been conceding goals/chances, I'd rather keep them covering the back 4 with the full backs attacking.

2-1 Pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Big question for me is does he play back 3 or revert to flat back 4?

IMO, Insua and Johnsen would probably get forward as much in a flat 4 as traditional fullbacks than they would as so-called "wing backs"(never believed in wingbacks myself tbh). Has to be a flat back 4 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Dickerty wrote: »
    I want to see Ngog from the start, with Kuyt right and Benny left. Babel still doesn't do enough when he starts. Lucas and Masc are a solid pairing if lacking in creativity, but with the way we have been conceding goals/chances, I'd rather keep them covering the back 4 with the full backs attacking.

2-1 Pool

I agree about Ngog...think he has a lot of potential and would love to see him get a full 90 mins (or at least 70 mins).

I would like:

Reina
    Johnson---Skertel----Agger/Carra----Insua
    Kuyt
    Masch
    Lucas
    Benny
    Gerrard

Ngog

I hope to God we can nick 3 pts but I'm not so sure. I can see a score draw but hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Did Gerrard start against Fiorentina?
    What injury is he coming back from?

RasTa wrote: »
    Did Gerrard start against Fiorentina?
    What injury is he coming back from?

Yes
    Got injured playing for England

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would like:

Reina
    Johnson---Skertel----Agger/Carra----Insua
    Gerrard
    Masch
    Kuyt
    Yossi
    Riera
    Ngog/Babel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I can see Lyon scoring, what Liverpool will do, I can't predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

mike65 wrote: »

Snap! and also couldnt resist 4/1. as much as i love the pool, i love my wallet more lol

evil_seed wrote: »
    Snap! and also couldnt resist 4/1. as much as i love the pool, i love my wallet more lol

If ya loved it more you wouldn't have taken that bet!!

Liverpool will not lose 4 games in a row. Trust me!

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote: »

Jeez...4/1 is a huge price considering our form and no Torres. Think I might snap up a bit of that myself.

stevie G to score tonight me thinks

he has a great record against Italian teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Leixlip_Red

Didn't serve him too well against Fiorentina though did it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Ah yes Lyon one of the great Italian teams of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭xabi

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Based on liverpools awful form and frequent luck in the champions league i think they will come from behind and scrape a draw, either 1-1 or 2-2

Luckily he has a decent record against French ones too.

lol

well that was a proper fail

of course i ment french :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'd love to see Kuyt up front, Carra at right back and Johnson on the right wing. I just wanna see Johnson as a winger for one game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

You sir, are the Eamon Dunphy of Boards.ie!

• Advertisement

just looking at anytime scorers

i see Bafetimbi Gomis is 3/1 to score anytime, he seems to be the top scorer for lyon this season so far

edit
    Lyon have defensive problems to contend with for the trip to Merseyside.

The French side are missing injured trio Cleber Anderson, Mathieu Bodmer and Jean-Alain Boumsong.

However, Sidney Govou and Kim Kallstrom are expected to return to the side after being rested for the surprise defeat by Sochaux at the weekend.

Michel Bastos and Cesar Delgado face late fitness tests, while Lisandro Lopez will play through the pain barrier as he continues to struggle with a groin problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Riera is injured and there seems to be a rumour going around on RAWK that Johnson is too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lucas is going to score 1st tonight i feel it in my waters!!! €5 @ 25/1 is my small bet for this evening

my large bet on the other hand is liverpool, arsenal and rangers treble @ 4/1

Why don't we all just kill ourselves now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If Johnson is out I hope Kelly gets a run in the side. I’d also like to see Carra “rested” tonight.

Reina

Kelly
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Insua

Mascherano
    Lucas

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Benayoun

Babel

If Johnson is out I hope Kelly gets a run in the side. I’d also like to see Carra “rested” tonight.

Reina

Kelly
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Insua

Mascherano
    Lucas

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Benayoun

Babel

What? play Kelly with Carra on the bench? I don't think so. Carra played as well as anyone on Saturday and his experiance & quality definately needed tonight.

What? play Kelly with Carra on the bench? I don't think so. Carra played as well as anyone on Saturday and his experiance & quality definately needed tonight.

So that’s how many good performances this season? 1? 2?
    We have plenty of experience in our team. I’m resting Carra as much for Sunday as anything else, since he’s almost certain to play against United.
    Without Johnson who would you play at RB? Carra just doesn’t have the legs for that position.

So that’s how many good performances this season? 1? 2?
    We have plenty of experience in our team. I’m resting Carra as much for Sunday as anything else, since he’s almost certain to play against United.
    Without Johnson who would you play at RB? Carra just doesn’t have the legs for that position.

If it came to it Id prob play Carra there. It's a shame Degen is absolutely dire

EDIT - Kelly isn't even in the squad, nor is Degen. Darby is the alternative

If it came to it Id prob play Carra there. It's a shame Degen is absolutely dire

EDIT - Kelly isn't even in the squad, nor is Degen. Darby is the alternative

Kelly is in our champions league squad - he was put in ahead of Degen

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/club=7889/competition=1/index.html

Kelly is in our champions league squad - he was put in ahead of Degen

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/club=7889/competition=1/index.html

He's not in the match day squad

• Advertisement
Advertisement