Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Lyon *Mod warning @ post 372*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

mike65 wrote: »
    I made that bet as well as part of a double with CSKA so here's hoping things go well tomorrow night.
    who cares about bet. future of liverpool far more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Lyon 9
    Fiorentina 6
    Liverpool 3
    Debrecen 0

I think winning each of the remaining games will see us through. Though obviously that will be a tall order.

7 points will see ye through. 2 tough away trips and home against a very good Fiorentina side though, certainly won't be easy. Effectively, Lyon are playing to put ye out and take the group with a win next time out in their ground.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Headshot wrote: »
    no it wasnt

I dont know how you can say that was a bad bet, have you been watching the same liverpool team iv been watching for a couple of weeks now ?

Yes, I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

evil_seed wrote: »
    Carra has to be dropped

Why? Because Agger ****ed up on the 2nd goal?

Might as well be rich and miserable as poor and miserable.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Id have to question benitez with that game. How babel doesnt get a run with so many players out is a joke to be honest. Taking bennyoun off and bringing on voronin....pfffffff. I was yawning at my own team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Lol, Martin Keown "lose four games in a row the manager has to go".

What a **** idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Why did Rafa take off Benayoun? What was he thinking??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Holsten wrote: »
    Utter ****ing bollox.

Knew they'd score from a corner and then a joke of a counter attack.

Carra and Insua both have to be dropped for a few games.

If you are dropping players cos of tonights performance, we will be lucky to have a team on Sunday. Totally inept all over the place.

Defenders who cannot defend set pieces (yet again), cannot head the ball, or knock it around. Fcuk me, but Mick McCarthy hoofed it less than Carra.

No creativity in midfield, normally Benny offers some but even he was off his game tonight. I still insist you cannot play Masch and Lucas together in the middle. Two out and out stoppers, we need a play maker in there.

As for Ngog, my good how bad was his touch, passing. THe one time he did show some class with the nutmeg, his next touch knocked the ball three feet away.

I said before the Chelsea game that the next 3 league games were vital to our season but fcuk me we could be relying on the FA Cup for something exciting to shout about come Jan.

At least I backed Benny for first goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why are you talking about the bets you've made? What has CSKA to do with anything??

I was responding to the stick Lucky Lloyd was giving out to Rastas bet. It was an exellent bet at 9/2. Thats all.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, can we not have a bad season (or a relegation threatened half of one) before the Rafa out chants begin.

In fairness, a bad season should be finishing 3rd or 4th and maybe pickign up a cup or gettign to a final at teh very outside while haveign goods runs in all comps, not 5th, 6th or 7th and not gettign out of the CL group (which is a distinct possibility)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yes, I have.

so ill just leave it then

i cant get my head around you thinking that was a bad bet

agree to disagree then

Lol, Martin Keogh "lose four games in a row the manager has to go".

What a **** idiot.

Yeah it's extremely retarded. Nonetheless, the media consensus is sure to run with that idea over the next few days. The post match analysis on TV3 is highly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

randomname wrote: »
    Why did Rafa take off Benayoun? What was he thinking??

I think he has lost the plot, its almost like he was trying to make a statement.
    I'm the boss, i'll do it my way kind of thing, even though it was clearly the wrong option.

Benayoun looked like the only one that could make something happen in my opinion.

Voronin works hard. But gives us very little. Ngog just was not given enough games last season to start. Lacks confidence in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lol, Martin Keogh "lose four games in a row the manager has to go".

What a **** idiot.

Come back Dunphy, all is forgiven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Still not mad about the 4/1 but
    All the same well done to anyone who had it

i had 1pt Yossi at 9/1
    and 5pts Sligo Rovers away to Derry at 5/2:D

Id a bad feeling Liverpool under Rafa had their time last season and wasnt happy going into this season

Place needs a shake (with this manager or a different one)

There is no movement, no shape, no men in the shirts
    there is a strange sence of a lack of pace which could be confidence
    but its all straight lines and one dimensional

*Maybe looking back to the sunderland match, the 3 at the back was an attempt to shake it up a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why? Because Agger ****ed up on the 2nd goal?

No, not solely for that obviously. In the last few years he's lost pace and his judgment has deteriorated.

Another thing about him, he's 'claiming' EVERY ball, even if it'd be prudent to let another player clear it instead. He playing like he was 5 years younger, and he isn't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

flanzer wrote: »
    Yes missing Gerrard and Torres is bad alright, but we seriously lack any strength in depth like UTD, Chelsea, Arse and Citeh have. That's down to Rafa. It's bee the worst run of results since 1987. Confidence is shot at this stage and believe only a change of management will improve this

Liverpool also got their highest points total in the league last season, and that was down to... Rafa.

Liverpool have won the Champions league, been to another final, and another semi-final. That was down to......... Rafa.

The knee jerkery is just incredible. It's so incredible that I am not going to bother my hole arguing against it. If a mob calling for the likes of Kenny Dalglish to be instated as manager get heard and heeded, then Liverpool will be way more utterly screwed than Rafa could ever hope to do even intentionally.

flahavaj wrote: »
    7 points will see ye through. 2 tough away trips and home against a very good Fiorentina side though, certainly won't be easy. Effectively, Lyon are playing to put ye out and take the group with a win next time out in their ground.:eek:

I think we'll lose on the head to head tiebreaker if we only take 7 points.

• Advertisement

Whether it wa defensive lapses or not that caused the goals, Liverpool's passing was absolutey abysmal tonight. I don't care how many first choice players are missing, it was shockingly poor. If I was a Liverpool fan thats what would have me worried more than anything.

spockety wrote: »
    Liverpool also got their highest points total in the league last season, and that was down to... Rafa.

Liverpool have won the Champions league, been to another final, and another semi-final. That was down to......... Rafa.

The knee jerkery is just incredible. It's so incredible that I am not going to bother my hole arguing against it. If a mob calling for the likes of Kenny Dalglish to be instated as manager get heard and heeded, then Liverpool will be way more utterly screwed than Rafa could ever hope to do even intentionally.

TESTIFY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

whycliff wrote: »
    A loss on Sunday and Rafa will be gone, would Love to see Mourinho taking over.....

would you care to wager on that?? that if we do in fact lose to utd rafa will not be in charge for the following game??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah it's extremely retarded. Nonetheless, the media consensus is sure to run with that idea over the next few days. The post match analysis on TV3 is highly amusing.

With all the accents it's like watcing ITV or BBC....wonder they don't have Matt Holland in there instead of Matt Cooper!

I meant 7 more points giving ye 10 in total. Should be more than enough. 2 wins and a draw needed in last 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

murpho999 wrote: »
    With all the accents it's like watcing ITV or BBC....wonder they allow Matt Holland in there!

Its his day off from ESPN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

you can't keep dragging up the past, at some point the results will dictate his time up regardless of what he won in the past you can only eat out on that for so long.

stop bringing it up.

we know.

but the fHACT is now you could possibly be out of the cl in the group stages and be 10 points behind the league leaders next week

that imo is not good enough regardless of what you have won in the past.

stop eating out on the CL

No, not solely for that obviously. In the last few years he's lost pace and his judgment has deteriorated.

Another thing about him, he's 'claiming' EVERY ball, even if it'd be prudent to let another player clear it instead. He playing like he was 5 years younger, and he isn't.

He was never quick in fairness.

Him claiming every bal is to do with him having no confidence in the players around him. As Sami got older he had a rock of a player in Carra beside him, Carra hqasnt got that at the minute and that isnt his fault. He's having to do too much and at times is a bit beyond his ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I was laughing when the second goal went in. We were terrible again. UEFA cup here we come.

Not only was the original line up odd with Ngog up front but then he has the gall to withdraw Yossi who was the best player on the pitch. You could hear the boos from the crowd when his number came up.

A ManU friend just texted me telling me that our best chance is in the Carling cup this year. I pointed out that we were playing Arsenal next week and he just laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ntlbell wrote: »
    but the fHACT is now you could possibly be out of the cl in the group stages and be 10 points behind the league leaders next week

yes congratulations on points out something that may or may not happen in the future is a fact. Truely Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I meant 7 more points giving ye 10 in total. Should be more than enough. 2 wins and a draw needed in last 3 games.

No,if they picked up 7 bringing them to 10 and Fiorentina picked up 4,they'd be out I reckon.

By the way, I am disappointed with how things are going so far this season. I think every Liverpool fan would be. However, to ignore the numerous bad breaks (injury or otherwise) that the team has suffered would be silly. Liverpool are running very bad, that has contributed to poor results, and those results have eroded the confidence of those remaining on the pitch. I can't fault the manager with respect to most of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

unless we get the draw in the game against debrecen..now that would be the most dramatic way liverpool could do it..so thats probably exactly what they'll do!!!

mayordenis wrote: »
    yes congratulations on points out something that may or may not happen in the future is a fact. Truely Genius.

i have no idea what you're attempting to say

can you get a few points together

construct a few sentences and join in!

thnks

I still stand by my prediction that Liverpool will beat United on Sunday. Just one of those gut feelings that I get that are usually right I'm afraid. Always when Rafa is written off and the knives are being sharpened for him, his team manages to pull a massive performance out of the hat.

I know its not logical, I sure as hell hope it doesn't happen, but when did sport ever follow the script? (Just ask LuckyLloyd about that.;))

• Advertisement

you can't keep dragging up the past, at some point the results will dictate his time up regardless of what he won in the past you can only eat out on that for so long.

stop bringing it up.

we know.

It's funny you know. People keep saying "there's only so long you can put up with Rafa, before you see and realise that he has to go".

For me it's confusing, because from my analysis of Liverpool under Rafa, I would be saying to the likes of the "Rafa out, Kenny in!" brigade... "there is only so long you can put up with Liverpool FC being run the way it is off the pitch. You are soon going to see and realise how the club is being run, and how Rafa being there has only served to postpone some seriously bad times for the club".

Unfortunately, the kind of information that needs to be digested in order to fully appreciate the entire picture at a club is not available in soundbites, it's not available in week to week results or screaming newspaper headlines. It's a pattern, a pattern of lies and bad decisions by board members and owners. The modern Internet warrior football fan does not take the time or interest in such things. It's far too boring and doesn't generate enough web board heat.

Eventually I fear that we will lose Rafa. He will be replaced by Jurgen Klinsmann, Kenny Dalglish, Martin Curbishley, or Martin O'Neill. May whatever god you believe in provide Liverpool with the kind of luck that only a deity can give in order to guide us through the possible Rafa-less years ahead, because nothing short of divine intervention may help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What's the story with Gerard. Will he play? that has to be key, not forgetting Torres of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I think he is trying to say, don't start a sentence with fact and then postulate about future possible events as being part of that fact.

He's not disagreeing with your logic, merely that fact is in the here and now, and we'll take next weeks sh1te then... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Liverpool did enough to draw in my opinion. They were unlucky when you consider both teams had about the same amount of good chances. I cannot understand peoples mentality here. Like they were expecting Liverpool to go out and destroy Lyon, whose team lineup tonight was better than Liverpool's in terms of quality (particularly after we lost Gerrard). Lyon are amongst the top 10 in Europe. So Liverpool's performance left a lot to be desired, I don't think they were a shambles. Benitez was crazy to take off Benny though. Crazy decision and he deserves to get stick for that.

It's funny you know. People keep saying "there's only so long you can put up with Rafa, before you see and realise that he has to go".

For me it's confusing, because from my analysis of Liverpool under Rafa, I would be saying to the likes of the "Rafa out, Kenny in!" brigade... "there is only so long you can put up with Liverpool FC being run the way it is off the pitch. You are soon going to see and realise how the club is being run, and how Rafa being there has only served to postpone some seriously bad times for the club".

Unfortunately, the kind of information that needs to be digested in order to fully appreciate the entire picture at a club is not available in soundbites, it's not available in week to week results or screaming newspaper headlines. It's a pattern, a pattern of lies and bad decisions by board members and owners. The modern Internet warrior football fan does not take the time or interest in such things. It's far too boring and doesn't generate enough web board heat.

Eventually I fear that we will lose Rafa. He will be replaced by Jurgen Klinsmann, Kenny Dalglish, Martin Curbishley, or Martin O'Neill. May whatever god you believe in provide Liverpool with the kind of luck that only a deity can give in order to guide us through the possible Rafa-less years ahead, because nothing short of divine intervention may help us.

so your saying all these headaches just came about this year?

was it not such last year when you nearly pipped the greatest bestest team in the world eva to the title?

make up your mind because you change it in every post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

can you get a few points together

construct a few sentences and join in!

thnks

Sure you said Its a fact that we may be out of the champions league group, and we may be 10 points behind the leaders in a few days time.

Predicting the future, is not fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No it will not. If we get a point at Lyon, Fiorentina are at home, so we'd have 4 points, Lyon 10 and Fiorentina 9 probably. We'd be hoping Lyon do us a favour.
    careca wrote: »
    If you are dropping players cos of tonights performance, we will be lucky to have a team on Sunday. Totally inept all over the place.

Defenders who cannot defend set pieces (yet again), cannot head the ball, or knock it around. Fcuk me, but Mick McCarthy hoofed it less than Carra.

No creativity in midfield, normally Benny offers some but even he was off his game tonight. I still insist you cannot play Masch and Lucas together in the middle. Two out and out stoppers, we need a play maker in there.

As for Ngog, my good how bad was his touch, passing. THe one time he did show some class with the nutmeg, his next touch knocked the ball three feet away.

I said before the Chelsea game that the next 3 league games were vital to our season but fcuk me we could be relying on the FA Cup for something exciting to shout about come Jan.

At least I backed Benny for first goal.

Mach was decent in the first half but anonymous in the second. Can't think of many positives barring Kelly and a decent NGog. Benny poor, barring the goal. Kuyt crap.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm lost for words.

Unbelievably pissed off but ranting and raving won't do a damn thing.

:(

so your saying all these headaches just came about this year?

was it not such last year when you nearly pipped the greatest bestest team in the world eva to the title?

make up your mind because you change it in every post.

I haven't changed anything. Bettering Chelsea in the league last year and running United shy of 4 points was nothing short of a miracle as far as I'm concerned!

I notice you haven't actually addressed any of the points I've made. Not that I expect you to, whatever about Liverpool fans taking the time to fully grasp the situation at the club is a tall order never mind asking an opposition fan to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

By the way, I am disappointed with how things are going so far this season. I think every Liverpool fan would be. However, to ignore the numerous bad breaks (injury or otherwise) that the team has suffered would be silly. Liverpool are running very bad, that has contributed to poor results, and those results have eroded the confidence of those remaining on the pitch. I can't fault the manager with respect to most of that.

Would agree with that, it is a problem we at Arsenal have had over the past few seasons, though it has always been pointed out to me on here that is what your squad is for.

I still feel you could bounce back at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

There was a time last year that I wished Rafa would go. Eventually he proved me wrong and I ate the humble pie. I think he is the right man for the job (hard as it is) at the minute..

However, I don't believe in being sensationalist (sp?) about it either. Liverpool were great before Rafa and they will be great after Rafa. If our injuries clear up and things are still stale, which they obv are, then maybe a change of leadership would be the best thing.

I think rafas race is run at this stage. Team look dead to me. Maybe we beat united on Sunday but cant see it happening.
    For me a bit of time on bench would do Carra a bit of good. He is struggling. needs a bit of time off to recharge the batteries.
    Real shame about Kelly cause he looked good tonight. Again Lucas and Masch just too alike.
    Beyond me why we bought a midfielder who wont be ready till November. Bit angry at Alonso also.
    He had great season last year but then decided to get one over on Rafa over the Barry saga.
    Did Alonso think of Pool when he did that I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

stop bringing it up.

we know.

On the 7th of Decemeber 2005 Manchester United were out of the Champions League, and 12 points behind the league leaders.

Did you want Fergie sacked?

Just curious like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

That commentator on TV3 for the Arsenal match at the moment in gas, by the by.

I'd say Rafa will stay on until the end of season anyway.

Things will pick up.

Serious disappointment all round for the last few weeks but it can't/shouldn't get any worse. We can only start again by trying to take 3 points off United at the weekend.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Sure you said Its a fact that we may be out of the champions league group, and we may be 10 points behind the leaders in a few days time.

Predicting the future, is not fact.

all that to say nothing.

nice one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement