Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we moving away from being "girly" men?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

taconnol wrote: »
    I would add C) Cultural norms. They haven't stretched quite as far as the fashion/cosmetic industry would like. So as much as they would like men to start buying mascara and lipstick in the morning, there are still the cultural restraints that mean this is not going to happen - at least any time soon.

On B) I wish women were a bit more like this...there are so many women who never step outside the house without a full face of make up.

I would also add in point D) It's just not that cool. Somebeody correct me if I'm wrong but bands or musicians that go for the metrosexual look now just aren't cool and their music is not really that good. Metrosexual music now is just bland and basically about selling a particular lifestyle full of buying cosmetics and creams etc.

In the 70's you had Ziggy Stardust and it was cool to dress up in drag and wear make up. I personally don't think the likes of the people who appear on max-factor (sorry x-factor) can even be mentioned in the same breadth as the drag queens of the 70's. The drag queens were cool and the music was great, the ultra self-concious image obsessed metro bands of today aren't and the music is crap.

The cool music of today (though I only like a very small amount of it) is the alpha male, urban gangster music. Maybe we'll get a ziggy for the 00's soon and drag will be cool again like it was in the 70's and previous centuries.

Fully agree with you on point B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I would also add in point D) It's just not that cool. Somebeody correct me if I'm wrong but bands or musicians that go for the metrosexual look now just aren't cool and their music is not really that good.
    I've already told everyone to keep to the thread. This is so off topic it's unreal.
    Don't be my first Ban!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

Are we moving away from being "girly" men?

Don't know, love, I wouldn't get me knickers in a twist over it.

On a more serious note, getting rid of Bertie Aherne who ran up 50k a year on cosmetics for Brian Cowen who 'doesn't do' cosmetics was a welcome return from the green pastures of girly decadence. Its not a coincidence that Aherne was the most insincere, decadent, incompetent 'leader' this country has since the foundation of the state.
    I've been using a cut-throat for years. It took me years to get over the 'butcher's block' face effect but I'm getting there despite the occasional laceration (not nick).
    I don't see the point in any deoderants, after-shaves, etc. Personally, I prefer the smell of my own sweat, which I do wash off occasionally. So sweat is the same as urine apparently. Well we get plenty of those germs on our genitalia when we ingage in normal hetrosexual intercourse - and we're not complaining about the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

spoutwell wrote: »
    On a more serious note, getting rid of Bertie Aherne who ran up 50k a year on cosmetics for Brian Cowen who 'doesn't do' cosmetics was a welcome return from the green pastures of girly decadence. Its not a coincidence that Aherne was the most insincere, decadent, incompetent 'leader' this country has since the foundation of the state.
    50k for Ahern's cosmetics budget seems ludicrous to the point of being surreal in the context of the current climate.

But to me the two male examples you listed only serve to show that the use (or lack) of cosmetics tells us nothing about competence.

• Advertisement

In the kingdom of the incompetents, the one who spends 50K a year on cosmetics is king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

spoutwell wrote: »
    In the kingdom of the incompetents, the one who spends 50K a year on cosmetics is king.
    Some might be more concerned about the one who fritters away €50bn. But that's a discussion for another thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What would happen if mens trousers didn't come with pockets and/or their shirts had no pockets, where would they put all their stuff into?

Think about it. I used to have a classmate in primary school whose parents always sewed his pockets together in order to prevent him putting his hands into his pockets constantly so he had nowhere to put his stuff into other than his huge schoolbag.

Sounds like manbags would take off if that ever happened to mens fashion ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Noone seems to have anything left to say on this topic for now.
    /Thread

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement